News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Rio Bravo (1959)  :alberta:

CB and I saw this on the big screen.  Everyone else in the audience was old enough to have seen this when it first came to the theater.

The musical interlude was a little weird; but otherwise still one of the greatest westerns.  I think that's Dean Martin's best role.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on October 04, 2017, 04:02:02 PM

CB and I saw this on the big screen.  Everyone else in the audience was old enough to have seen this when it first came to the theater.
Good movie, for the time, for the genre.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

It's great to see those older films in Technicolor on the big screen.  :)

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on October 04, 2017, 04:12:44 PM

Good movie, for the time, for the genre.

It's one of my favorite westerns; the only one I'd rate higher is "The Searchers".  :alberta:

It's too bad Howard Hawks couldn't get his first choice, Montgomery Clift, for the Ricky Nelson role.  (Clift didn't want to put with John Wayne and Walter Brennan's politics.)  It's probably better Hawks couldn't get his second choice, Elvis Presley.  :elvis:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on October 05, 2017, 10:13:57 AM
It's one of my favorite westerns; the only one I'd rate higher is "The Searchers".  :alberta:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly all the way.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Rick and Morty is very good. Can't believe I overlooked it for so long.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on October 05, 2017, 10:54:30 AM
Rick and Morty is very good. Can't believe I overlooked it for so long.

It's a fun show - as long as you are willing to tolerate the nihilism.  :D

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: The Brain on October 01, 2017, 04:30:11 PM
50 Shades of Grey. I don't fully understand the movie.

I thought it was like "Pretty Woman" if Richard Gere has played his role as a creepy stalker and the Julia Roberts role had been played by a blow up doll.

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on October 05, 2017, 12:39:45 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 01, 2017, 04:30:11 PM
50 Shades of Grey. I don't fully understand the movie.

I thought it was like "Pretty Woman" if Richard Gere has played his role as a creepy stalker and the Julia Roberts role had been played by a blow up doll.
:lol:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/05/harvey-weinstein-sexual-harassment-allegations

QuoteHarvey Weinstein to take 'leave of absence' as sexual harassment allegations surface

Film mogul Harvey Weinstein has issued an apology for his past behavior and said he is preparing to take a leave of absence from work after a bombshell report on Thursday accused him of sexual harassment over decades.

Weinstein made a statement to the New York Times, which broke news of the claims, with the film producer saying: "I appreciate the way I've behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologize for it. Though I'm trying to do better, I know I have a long way to go."

But duh?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

So some of my favourite reviewers are all thrilled about the new Blade Runner so I bought a ticket for a showing at noon. Last time I bothered going to the cinema was for Arrival. I might be a Villeneuve fanboy.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

I was supposed to go see a movie last night but my date then had qualms about crossing a picket line.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

The late episode of "The Orville" was much better...but ugh, time travel.

Liep

Quote from: Liep on October 06, 2017, 02:56:52 AM
So some of my favourite reviewers are all thrilled about the new Blade Runner so I bought a ticket for a showing at noon. Last time I bothered going to the cinema was for Arrival. I might be a Villeneuve fanboy.

Beautiful, long and quite good.

Also: Ana de Armas :wub:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on October 06, 2017, 07:58:43 AM
Quote from: Liep on October 06, 2017, 02:56:52 AM

Beautiful, long and quite good.

Also: Ana de Armas :wub:

Now it's when I say that I've talked to her a couple of times, her ex was an acquaintance of a friend of mine.

She's ridiculously beautiful in person too.