News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2017, 11:27:24 PM
It was...okay.   Definitely some serialized television, which is a good thing.  Not sure why they needed to re-imagine the Klingons yet again, but I'll give them some rope.  Some very nice production values, which is also nice.

All I can say is I am eager to see what happens next, which is about all you can say for a TV show.

Given what happened in the first two episodes, it is unclear to me what will happen in the 3rd. I am curious though and eager to see it...so yeah, I think so far it is working as a TV show.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2017, 02:56:15 PM
It was...okay.   Definitely some serialized television, which is a good thing.  Not sure why they needed to re-imagine the Klingons yet again, but I'll give them some rope.  Some very nice production values, which is also nice.

All I can say is I am eager to see what happens next, which is about all you can say for a TV show.

Given what happened in the first two episodes, it is unclear to me what will happen in the 3rd. I am curious though and eager to see it...so yeah, I think so far it is working as a TV show.

I wonder what kind of viewers its going to get in the US, since only the first episode is being shown on CBS.  You have to sign up for CBS's streaming service to watch the rest.

In Canada it is being shown on CTV, but man - I can't remember the last time I sat down to watch a non-sports show on broadcast tv.  Only showed the first episode though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if Americans actually agree to join CBS's service. Given the shaky stance of Trek franchise and that you would be paying for a service that only gets you one known show, seems like not a great idea but CBS must have run the numbers.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

On the balance, looks like Canada with broadcast tv showings and international markets with Netflix showings are getting the better deal.

Tonitrus

Quote from: celedhring on September 25, 2017, 02:38:06 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 24, 2017, 10:37:22 PM
Just a few minutes in, and they already got the Prime Directive wrong.  :sleep:

How so?  :nerd:

Seemed fine to my limited knowledge.

The saving of a primitive species being all right "so long as you can get away with it without being seen".

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 25, 2017, 03:17:06 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 25, 2017, 02:38:06 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 24, 2017, 10:37:22 PM
Just a few minutes in, and they already got the Prime Directive wrong.  :sleep:

How so?  :nerd:

Seemed fine to my limited knowledge.

The saving of a primitive species being all right "so long as you can get away with it without being seen".

Well it fits in what happened in the reboot Into Darkness as what's listed online as the violation is when they were seen and worshiped as deities rather than simply that they saved the race from extinction.  Also, looking it up it says that Voyager mentioned 47 sub-orders. Maybe sub-order around allowing extinction wasn't created yet. :P

celedhring

Finished the two episodes. Entertaining TV so far, couldn't really ask for more.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2017, 03:14:08 PM
On the balance, looks like Canada with broadcast tv showings and international markets with Netflix showings are getting the better deal.

Yeah - it's bizarre that Canada is the only place on the entire earth where Discovery is being shown on broadcast tv.

I have to admit I'm tempted to sign up for the Canadian Netflix knock-off Crave TV just to be able to watch the second episode...

celedhring

Well I think that... [spoiler]since the show is called Star Trek: Discovery, Michael is obviously going to be freed for plot reason X and transferred to the Discovery, introducing the characters in that ship (my guess is that "I can sense death" guy will be transferred there too), and setting up the core world of the show.[/spoiler]

Is this still supposed to be an anthology series like earlier in the development process?

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2017, 03:05:31 PM

I wonder what kind of viewers its going to get in the US, since only the first episode is being shown on CBS.  You have to sign up for CBS's streaming service to watch the rest.

In Canada it is being shown on CTV, but man - I can't remember the last time I sat down to watch a non-sports show on broadcast tv.  Only showed the first episode though.

Not sure CTV is showing the rest of it.  I could be wrong. I think it's on Space TV.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on September 25, 2017, 04:59:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2017, 03:05:31 PM

Not sure CTV is showing the rest of it.  I could be wrong. I think it's on Space TV.

Huh.  You might be right.

We cut back the cable bill awhile ago (beyond the basics we only get sports and kids channels) so I'm pretty sure we don't get Space.  So do I sign up for Space, or sign up for Crave TV? :hmm:

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on September 25, 2017, 04:55:13 PM

Well I think that... [spoiler]since the show is called Star Trek: Discovery, Michael is obviously going to be freed for plot reason X and transferred to the Discovery, introducing the characters in that ship (my guess is that "I can sense death" guy will be transferred there too), and setting up the core world of the show.[/spoiler]

Is this still supposed to be an anthology series like earlier in the development process?

Yeah that makes sense. I'm just wondering on [insert reason]. :D

No, they killed that idea and it is supposed to be a standard Trek show.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Ed Anger unpopular opinion #70:

Blade Runner isn't that good.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 25, 2017, 08:06:43 PM
Ed Anger unpopular opinion #70:

Blade Runner isn't that good.

It's better than OK but not as good as the immortal pedestal it's placed on by some, but it's not like you can talk to those people anyway.  Like slavish Kubrick fans, you can't reach them.