News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Which one of you is Jack Lemon and which is Walter Mathau?

Blade Runner is ossum.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Future America has no real animals anymore, becomes one big Asian metameme, which is probably the reason it has no real animals anymore.  What a stretch.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2017, 05:05:04 PM
Quote from: Josephus on September 25, 2017, 04:59:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2017, 03:05:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2017, 02:56:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2017, 11:27:24 PM
It was...okay.   Definitely some serialized television, which is a good thing.  Not sure why they needed to re-imagine the Klingons yet again, but I'll give them some rope.  Some very nice production values, which is also nice.

All I can say is I am eager to see what happens next, which is about all you can say for a TV show.

Given what happened in the first two episodes, it is unclear to me what will happen in the 3rd. I am curious though and eager to see it...so yeah, I think so far it is working as a TV show.

I wonder what kind of viewers its going to get in the US, since only the first episode is being shown on CBS.  You have to sign up for CBS's streaming service to watch the rest.

In Canada it is being shown on CTV, but man - I can't remember the last time I sat down to watch a non-sports show on broadcast tv.  Only showed the first episode though.

Not sure CTV is showing the rest of it.  I could be wrong. I think it's on Space TV.

Huh.  You might be right.

We cut back the cable bill awhile ago (beyond the basics we only get sports and kids channels) so I'm pretty sure we don't get Space.  So do I sign up for Space, or sign up for Crave TV? :hmm:

Crave has more options, but more expensive, no?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

I cracked and got Crave TV. :weep:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Episode 2 is also pretty good.  [spoiler]Really the whole Byrnam gives a nerve pinch to the captain seemed contrived and driven by the plot, not character.  But whatever.[/spoiler]

Interested to see where they go with the Klingons - they give off obvious ISIS / Trumpian vibes.  I'm also interested after the pilot if they can continue with all the visual effects - that could have been a movie.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 25, 2017, 08:06:43 PM
Ed Anger unpopular opinion #70:

Blade Runner isn't that good.

Not unpopular with me, at least. Blade Runner has some great lines and some good scenes, but the overall movie is trash.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tonitrus

I could never sit through it all...felt too dull.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 25, 2017, 11:33:28 PM
I could never sit through it all...felt too dull.

I tried watching it once and I fell asleep
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I'm surprised the haters are so much more vocal than the devotees. Anyway, I vote good but not great.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2017, 08:10:42 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 25, 2017, 08:06:43 PM
Ed Anger unpopular opinion #70:

Blade Runner isn't that good.

It's better than OK but not as good as the immortal pedestal it's placed on by some, but it's not like you can talk to those people anyway. Like slavish Kubrick fans, you can't reach them.
Just because i named my cat after him, I don't think slavish is called for!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

Star Trek.....
Kind of makes me happy in some ways.
And the klingons as a fallen empire makes sense. Though the way they look....
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

The new klingon look will take some adjusting, but at least looks a bit more alien than the old "Mongols with rubber foreheads" which would have looked very stupid in this day and age imho.

Anyway, it's the first time in a long time that I'm excited *after* watching something Trek.

Eddie Teach

After googling the Klingons, I don't see the radical departure.
:unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?