And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Quote from: garbon on August 25, 2017, 03:31:15 PM
Comrade Detective

Interesting concept (show pretending it is a lost 80s show from Communist Romania with English dubbing) and there's some laughs around how they portray Americans. Not sure though how well it will hold up for more than one episode.
It's pretty amazing.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Josephus

Finally saw Dunkirk. Amazing.

Interestingly, before the movie, they showed a preview of Darkest Hour, a movie with Gary Oldman portraying wartime Churchill. So I got to hear the "we shall never surrender" speech twice.

On a completely different topic...I need Languish help.

So my buddy and I driving back from Dunkirk were talking about war era movies we've seen in our youth. I remembered an old movie, likely late 80s or early 90s. It was Russian. All I remember is a young girl in it and a ball of light that floats around. It was about a Russian Civil War hero, who's being stalked by secret police during the Stalin purges. Does it ring a bell. English version may very well have the word "light" or "sun" in the title.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Quote from: Josephus on August 26, 2017, 08:52:33 PM
So my buddy and I driving back from Dunkirk were talking about war era movies we've seen in our youth. I remembered an old movie, likely late 80s or early 90s. It was Russian. All I remember is a young girl in it and a ball of light that floats around. It was about a Russian Civil War hero, who's being stalked by secret police during the Stalin purges. Does it ring a bell. English version may very well have the word "light" or "sun" in the title.

Probably...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnt_by_the_Sun

Edit: Reminding myself with the trailer from Youtube, I'd say definitely it.

viper37

Saw Hateful Eight.  Weakest Tarantino movie.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 26, 2017, 11:20:58 PM
Quote from: Josephus on August 26, 2017, 08:52:33 PM

Probably...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnt_by_the_Sun

Edit: Reminding myself with the trailer from Youtube, I'd say definitely it.

That's it! thanks
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

I was watching Calvary on the telly. Not enough horses. Anyway, in the middle of the big showdown scene the screen goes black. Just that one channel. 25 minutes later it flickers to life and I'm in the middle of an NCIS episode. Thanks Obama!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Wind River (2017)

Third in Taylor Sheridan trilogy about the modern American frontier (along with Sicario and Hell or High Water); this is a thriller about a rape and murder on the Wind River Indian Reservation in Wyoming.  The film might have worked better they had gone the "In the Heat of the Night" route and made one of the leads a native (especially since the mystery's resolution isn't all that interesting.)  Instead it's more along the lines of a Jack London story where the land itself is a character.

I didn't know The Scarlet Witch was Mary-Kate and Ashley's kid sister.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Lincoln. Yes, I am late in watching it. Even though it was a talkie movie with no bang-bang, I enjoyed it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Duque de Bragança

Chuck Norris vs Communism (2015)

VHS bootlegs of voice-overed capitalist movies  in 1980's Romania subvert Ceaucescu's regime.
There is even a Godfrey Ho ninja movie inside.
80's nostalgia certainly beats Ostalgia.  :P

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 31, 2017, 07:32:18 AM
Lincoln. Yes, I am late in watching it. Even though it was a talkie movie with no bang-bang, I enjoyed it.

No bang-bang? You're so busted, Yi.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Watched Thin Red Line on Netflix :wub:

I also notice that they added the Ford/Capra/Huston WW2 propaganda movies. <3
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on September 01, 2017, 04:24:11 PM

I love how that movie gets some people torqued all the fuck up.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 01, 2017, 05:39:43 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 01, 2017, 04:24:11 PM

I love how that movie gets some people torqued all the fuck up.

Indeed, it's as if your not allowed to portray the chaos and confusion of war, but only the seamless progress of grand strategy.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on September 02, 2017, 09:41:31 PM
Indeed, it's as if your not allowed to portray the chaos and confusion of war, but only the seamless progress of grand strategy.

It's not as if I have first hand experience, but that movie to me is about quivering and emoting for the sake of quivering and emoting, not the chaos and confusion of war.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 02, 2017, 09:48:19 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 02, 2017, 09:41:31 PM

It's not as if I have first hand experience, but that movie to me is about quivering and emoting for the sake of quivering and emoting, not the chaos and confusion of war.

Seems we're both confused about the nature of war.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"