News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Quote from: Savonarola on June 29, 2017, 01:57:59 PM
Another car chase film with an awesome soundtrack was at the local theater this week:

The Blues Brothers :cool: (1980)

James Brown really missed his calling.

It was definitely worth seeing on the big screen, the musical numbers and the zillion car pile-ups come across a lot better in that format.  The audience was really into it too; which helps.  I thought it was funny that, of all the musical acts in the show, only Cab Calloway got his start in Chicago (and would become more associated with New York City than Chicago.)  Aretha Franklin and John Lee Hooker are from Detroit, James Brown is from Georgia and Ray Charles :cool: is from Florida, (but really took off in Seattle.)
It's like Chess Records didn't exist.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on June 29, 2017, 02:09:45 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 29, 2017, 01:57:59 PM
Another car chase film
that mich is true.  The "awesome soundtrack" though...

:P

Awesome if you like rhythm and blues; you're probably not going to like the "Baby Driver" soundtrack either.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on June 29, 2017, 02:30:43 PM
you're probably not going to like the "Baby Driver" soundtrack either.
fuck, you made me want to see it prior to reading this.  Oh well. :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Isn't Baby Driver a Dio song?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on June 29, 2017, 03:46:00 PM
Isn't Baby Driver a Dio song?

I think she was in Good Will Hunting too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on June 29, 2017, 03:37:08 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 29, 2017, 02:30:43 PM
you're probably not going to like the "Baby Driver" soundtrack either.
fuck, you made me want to see it prior to reading this.  Oh well. :(

Well, it does have a track by Edith Piaf.   :P
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Magnificent Seven - the new one. It wasn't too magnificent. Bland characters blandly portrayed, not much of a sense of western epicness or its mythology, uninteresting villain. It looks like somebody adapting the superficial elements of the original without really understanding what made that film tick.

Fight scenes were ok, shades of The Wild Bunch during the climax, including the massive body count and a gatling gun.

Admiral Yi

A remake of Seven Samurai could be cool.

dps

They'd probably botch it.

11B4V

Quote from: dps on June 29, 2017, 05:31:28 PM
They'd probably botch it.

Yes, like the assburgerfest 47 Ronin.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Remember, you are just a man.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on June 29, 2017, 05:17:28 PM

Fight scenes were ok, shades of The Wild Bunch during the climax, including the massive body count and a gatling gun.

I am sure paying tribute to the Wild Bunch was done before though.  :P e.g Extreme Prejudice (1987). Arguably, any action movie.