TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on July 03, 2017, 11:47:48 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 03, 2017, 11:45:43 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 03, 2017, 10:31:30 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 30, 2017, 02:01:12 PM
It wasn't good, but it indeed had flashes of Hill's good films. I enjoyed it more than Last Man Standing for example.

:face:

That bad? Last Man Standing, a poor man's John Woo tribute based on a needless remake or is it overly critical?
I'm searching for that and all I see is this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Man_Standing_(U.S._TV_series)

Wouldn't it be "Last stand" with Arnold instead?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Stand_(2013_film)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116830/
I see.  It's the "John Woo-esque" of Duke that got me confused.

Wasn't the Last Man Standing some kind of remake of a Clint Eastwood movie?  One in the man with no name trilogy, IIRC
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 03, 2017, 07:13:58 PM
I kinda like von triers films. There's something wrong with me.

Nothing wrong with that. Dude has an ego the size of the Moon, which translates in some really great films and some unbearable self-indulgent crap. I used to be a huge fan, but I haven't liked a film of his for the most part of 10 years.

Admiral Yi

Shoot Em Up.  Clive Owen flies through the air and kills everyone.  This is not a good movie.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2017, 02:13:59 AM
Shoot Em Up.  Clive Owen flies through the air and kills everyone.  This is not a good movie.

The movie was famously sold to the studio solely on the back of an animated storyboard of some of the action scenes. Plot? Character? Dialogue? Fuck that shit.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on July 03, 2017, 08:53:16 PM

Wasn't the Last Man Standing some kind of remake of a Clint Eastwood movie?  One in the man with no name trilogy, IIRC

You're easily confused. :P

To be precise, Last Man Standing is a remake of an unauthorized remake: For a Fistful of Dollars from Kurosawa's Yojimbo.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 04, 2017, 05:22:36 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 03, 2017, 08:53:16 PM

You're easily confused. :P
I have slow days too! :P

To be precise, Last Man Standing is a remake of an unauthorized remake: For a Fistful of Dollars from Kurosawa's Yojimbo.
ah, that's it, now I remember :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on July 02, 2017, 07:50:41 PM
Starting a fourth run through of Breaking Bad

What exactly are you looking for in its 46 hours total running time you think you missed the first three times you watched it?

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 04, 2017, 11:28:31 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 02, 2017, 07:50:41 PM
Starting a fourth run through of Breaking Bad

What exactly are you looking for in its 46 hours total running time you think you missed the first three times you watched it?

Nothing other than a good show. My other half has never seen it. She likes BCS.  After the first few episodes of BB she was hooked.  :lol:

I will watch a good show I've already seen instead of the assburger crap that makes up 80% of the current shows airing.

I have turned her on to shows like;
Broadchurch
The Fall
Happy Valley
BB
BCS
Sherlock
River
Luther
Stranger Things
etc
etc

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

You wield the "Assburger" title too lightly. Very little television is geared toward them, instead it's broad and mindless. And then you say you watch Sherlock, who is the poster child for antisocial disorders.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 04, 2017, 12:26:36 PM
You wield the "Assburger" title too lightly. Very little television is geared toward them, instead it's broad and mindless. And then you say you watch Sherlock, who is the poster child for antisocial disorders.

Fuck off shit for brains.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

Lego Batman- Meh, as an adult I'm not exactly it's target audience, but still, I expected more.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on July 04, 2017, 03:10:00 PM
Lego Batman- Meh, as an adult I'm not exactly it's target audience, but still, I expected more.

I saw it with the kid, thought it was good. Not as good as the first Lego movie, but still, pretty good.

I laughed when Batman said he wasn't into "shipping".  :lol:

They pushed the gay joke button a few too many times, though. Perhaps inevitably, given the subject matter.

On the other hand, I loved the shout outs to 1960s Batman. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on July 04, 2017, 03:10:00 PM

I thought it was pretty good for a kids movie.

Mostly it's in the many, many, many easter eggs.  "Like that time with the parade and the Prince music?"
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

So, I took my kid to the hockey store to get him a new hockey stick.  When I got there I realized I had forgotten my wallet.  I went "D'oh!".  Timmy was interested/confused - what had I just said?  What did that mean?  I realized then he had never ever seen The Simpsons, which seemed like an oversight on my part.

But, we had The Simpsons Movie on DVD in the basement, so last night we sat down and watched that.

The kids seemed to like it, in that the watched it all the way through.  It is a reasonably funny movie, but I think it loses a lot if you aren't at all familiar with the 100+ Simpsons characters, or some of the past storylines.

And at least Timmy knows where "D'oh!" comes from.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Screw you BB, I thought I had banished the Spiderpig song from my mind and now it's all rushing back.