News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on July 08, 2017, 02:47:31 PM
petulant douchebag, maybe, atheist certainly, but certainly not Euroweenie!

All obnoxious Soviet Canuckistanis are a Euroweenie subcategory, and the closer they are to Quebec the more Euroweenie they are.

Quotethey constantly talk of God, playing God, etc in the 1st movie :)

Talking about "playing God" isn't the same as "Faith," Muttski.

Savonarola

they constantly talk of God, playing God, etc in the 1st movie :)

"Jurassic Park" is an exploitation film with big lizard puppets a variation of the Frankenstein story, which is similar to Greek tragedy (Shelly's book is subtitled "The Modern Prometheus.")  "Playing God," is a common reference in this sort of story and refers to the hero's fatal flaw (or hamartia), hubris, rather than a reference to faith.  The twist in "Jurassic Park" (being a Hollywood movie) is that the protagonists are innocents, it's the antihero's hubris that creates the monster.  In the book the dinosaurs are the righteous avengers (or nemeses); they eat the business owner.  The movie doesn't even do that, which, in my opinion, is why it's an more an exploitation film than a Frankenstein story.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 08, 2017, 04:12:17 PM

All obnoxious Soviet Canuckistanis are a Euroweenie subcategory, and the closer they are to Quebec the more Euroweenie they are.

Quotethey constantly talk of God, playing God, etc in the 1st movie :)

Talking about "playing God" isn't the same as "Faith," Muttski.

Never really noticed that.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 08, 2017, 12:25:30 AM

Where, exactly, are you getting the whole "Faith" and "loyal to God" angles from? 
Are you that snotty of a petulant douchebag Euroweenie atheist that you're actually seeing something that isn't there? Oh, wait;  yeah, you are.

Too many hockey pucks to the head.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on July 08, 2017, 04:58:39 PM
Never really noticed that.

That's because it's not there, and Viper is being a hipster douchebag.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on July 08, 2017, 04:44:16 PM

"Jurassic Park" is an exploitation film with big lizard puppets a variation of the Frankenstein story, which is similar to Greek tragedy (Shelly's book is subtitled "The Modern Prometheus.")  "Playing God," is a common reference in this sort of story and refers to the hero's fatal flaw (or hamartia), hubris, rather than a reference to faith.  The twist in "Jurassic Park" (being a Hollywood movie) is that the protagonists are innocents, it's the antihero's hubris that creates the monster.  In the book the dinosaurs are the righteous avengers (or nemeses); they eat the business owner.  The movie doesn't even do that, which, in my opinion, is why it's an more an exploitation film than a Frankenstein story.

Ian Malcolm was infinitely more interesting in the book.  Had to read it for a "Ethical Issues in Business and Society" 101 class even before it was a movie.

And the kids were switched for Hollywood purposes.  It was the boy who was the computer geek, and the girl that was the "I has a dinosore book" toddler.

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on July 08, 2017, 04:44:16 PM

well, that wasn't a professional review, and I'm not going to argue with CdM, and I'm hesitant to call his behavior "fun" because he looks totally mad at everyone and everything and I fear the worst.

get well, Cdm.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

Denzel my Man on Fire, Liam can't hold a candle to ya.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

'The Family' mildly amusing mobster grotesque comedy staring DeNiro and Pfifer, best scene the Goodfellas referencing.

'Lion' - Worthy, but telegraphed plot-points made for an only adequately OK film.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

While dredging the depths of Amazon Prime, I come across a movie called 476AD. The opening text and credits take ten minutes and it looks like a school project movie. I bail out faster than DB Cooper.

I watch a Gallager stand up show instead. I like watermelons.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Crimson Tide is on HBO On Demand.  THEYRE FUELING THEIR MISSILES OBAMA WE DONT HAVE TIME TO FUCK AROUND

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on July 08, 2017, 06:22:42 PM
well, that wasn't a professional review, and I'm not going to argue with CdM, and I'm hesitant to call his behavior "fun" because he looks totally mad at everyone and everything and I fear the worst.

get well, Cdm.

Stop being a dick about movies.

Ed Anger

I just noticed in the Hunt for Red October, the political officer's name is 'Putin'.

LOLZ. Putin on the Ritz.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

celedhring

Baby Driver - the story has been done a million times (criminal wants to go straight after meeting a nice girl, his partners won't let him quit), and Wright surprisingly fails to put a new spin on it. The car chase scenes are good, but overedited. There was lots of moments where I was almost screaming "just let me see this cool shit you're doing with the car dammit". The leads are bland, but the villains (Spacey, Foxx, and Hamm) are entertaining to watch. Great soundtrack. The film is ok, I guess, but as a fan of a lot of Wright's work I was kinda expecting more.