News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Veep is still brilliant. That is all.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

AnchorClanker

So, while I was in Maryland, I headed to the American Legion in Laurel for a beer (I hang with these guys every June when my conference kicks off...)

There's a dude there named Lloyd, and we began talking about old westerns and war movies, and he had tons of tips for me... and while he said he loved The Longest Day, he had never seen A Bridge Too Far... isn't that peculiar?

Anyway, he rec'd The Man in The Middle, and Never So Few - both set in the India / Burma theater in WWII.  Have any of you guys seen either of those?
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Josquius

Quote from: AnchorClanker on June 11, 2017, 11:35:02 AM
So, while I was in Maryland, I headed to the American Legion in Laurel for a beer (I hang with these guys every June when my conference kicks off...)

There's a dude there named Lloyd, and we began talking about old westerns and war movies, and he had tons of tips for me... and while he said he loved The Longest Day, he had never seen A Bridge Too Far... isn't that peculiar?

Anyway, he rec'd The Man in The Middle, and Never So Few - both set in the India / Burma theater in WWII.  Have any of you guys seen either of those?

A Bridge too Far is a bit more modern, late 70s. Maybe he likes classic war movies and its after his cut off?
██████
██████
██████

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Tyr on June 11, 2017, 12:16:06 PM

A Bridge too Far is a bit more modern, late 70s. Maybe he likes classic war movies and its after his cut off?

I wondered about that at first, but he started talking about movies made 10 years ago, so I realized that it just never popped on his radar... which is odd since TLD and ABTF were both based on books written by the same guy, and have a similar feel in how they present a sweeping narrative through multiple viewpoints.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Malthus

Saw Wonder Woman.

Entertaining superhero silliness.

The actress playing the lead is very hot, and has the same slight Israeli accent as my study friend from law school - sort of superficially looks like her too, though obviously my friend from school, while attractive, was not a beautiful actress.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Some movie news from people who know movies--

QuoteDPRK News Service‏
@DPRK_News

"Mummy," by US senator from Canada Ted Cruise, is named worst film of already horrific film career.

QuoteDPRK News Service‏
@DPRK_News

Black Panther, story of revolutionary US negro political leader Huey P Newton, is first "Marvel Superhero" film approved for release in DPRK.

Scipio

Never So Few is a great one for Sinatra or McQueen fans; also considered reasonably accurate, with its obvious American slant. It was historically very important for McQueen, whose role was supposed to be played by Sammy Davis, Jr., but whom Sinatra had recast. It was McQueen's first work for John Sturges, and positive reviews for him helped make him the new hot shit. It was so important to McQueen's career that it was released in the first WB McQueen DVD Boxed Set, with Bullitt, Tom Horn, and the Cincinnati Kid.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Tonitrus

Vice Versa.

Not a great film at all, but deeyam, I forgot how HOTT(with the right mixture of cute) Corinne Bohrer was.

Ed Anger

Heavy Metal was on the El Rey channel and I watched the B-17 bit. Was way more impressed when I was a young lad than now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 14, 2017, 07:01:23 PM
Was way more impressed when I was a young lad than now.

Back then, you took whatever whacking material you could get, and you were grateful.

Josephus

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 14, 2017, 07:01:23 PM
Heavy Metal was on the El Rey channel and I watched the B-17 bit. Was way more impressed when I was a young lad than now.

Probably a good thing too.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

The GF wanted to see something lovey-dovey, so when trying to look for a lovey-dovey movie with some "guy" redeeming quality, I ended up choosing Allied. It had Brad Pitt and it had WWII, should have been a win for both?

In the film, Brad Pitt is a Canadian (from Quebec, actually) secret agent during WWII, and Cotillard the agent from the French resistance he falls in love with during a mission in Morocco. Things are supposed to turn interesting when it's revealed that Cotillard might be a double agent that's seduced Pitt - who's in the running for the post of intelligence chief for D-Day - in order to send intel to the nazis. Sounds cool? Well, it isn't. Love dovey stuff (the first half of the movie) wasn't compelling enough for the GF, and the thriller part was too half-baked and stupid. It seems they tried to craft a Hitchcockian "the person you love might be a criminal" thriller, but it falls flat.

Most surprising part is that [spoiler]the film has a rather tragic ending - Cotillard's character is indeed a spy (against her will), and kills herself so Pitt doesn't get in trouble with the allied intel command -, for what's usual in a Hollywood flick.[/spoiler]

Best part of the flick is when Cotillard and Pitt go all Wolfenstein inside the German Embassy in French Morocco.

celedhring

Also forgot to mention I watched Get Out! last week. Now that's an interesting movie. I gotta say I much preferred the disturbing second act, than when it goes all slasher in the last act.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on June 15, 2017, 02:44:45 AM
Also forgot to mention I watched Get Out! last week. Now that's an interesting movie. I gotta say I much preferred the disturbing second act, than when it goes all slasher in the last act.

Did you read anything about it before?

I knew nothing other than it was a horror. I was expecting something ghostly. I did notice the maid had quite a 1960s style....
Nice twist.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Wonder Woman (2017)

Wonder Woman doesn't get tied up once in the entire film?  What sort of crap is this?  F  :mad: :mad: :mad:

;)

Has some problems, the opening scenes on Paradise Island drag on, the fighting scenes are done with the Shake the Camera (now with extra-CGI!) technique and exposition before the final fight, oh the exposition, for the love of Hera quit talking and start hitting each other.  That being said, its still a great deal of fun.  In my opinion it works because the film is much more akin to "The Little Mermaid," (with kung-fu in place of songs) than it is to "The Dark Knight."  I thought the characterization of Wonder Woman was well done; even with her extraordinary physique and ass kicking ways, she is still believable as a woman.

I see that Wonder Woman "Fights for love" now.  Are Sailor Mars and Sailor Mercury going to join her in the sequel?  Just kidding but [spoiler]will Wonder Girl be her and Steve's daughter and show up in a sequel?[/spoiler]
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock