And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on June 19, 2017, 12:30:48 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 19, 2017, 12:08:58 PM
So what was viper's point again?  That feminism is about displaying female heroes in strapless armor with prominent bare thighs?  The exploitation is the same thing except you can also see a belly button?

For a "wonder", I actually understood his point (I think).  :D

Which, translated, goes something like this:

The article praising Wonder Woman as a miracle of feminist film-making for its visual appearance is making a distinction that simply does not exist: Wonder Woman looks more or less exactly like other eye-candy female heroines used in other movies, that do not pretend to aspire to feminism (and of which no-one makes the claim that they are specifically feminist heroines). In short, the article is full of wishful thinking on this subject. 

Yes.  I don't understand why some particular costumes and poses demonstrate a feministic icon and the other ones are simply exploitation of the female body.  Imho, it's a question of attitude, of damsel in distress scenarios more than a question of costume or a tigh that giggles or not.  That's just being ridiculous.

There are many movies and tv series with strong women, not just physically speaking.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Ok that makes more sense.
I agree that the post Carrie Fisher shift to more empowered female leads in action movies is a good thing, and not just for feminist reasons.  The helpless damsel in distress role is just boring.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Anyone got a clip of the thigh jiggle(c)?  All I can find are still shots.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2017, 02:33:44 PM

Yes.  I don't understand why some particular costumes and poses demonstrate a feministic icon and the other ones are simply exploitation of the female body.  Imho, it's a question of attitude, of damsel in distress scenarios more than a question of costume or a tigh that giggles or not.  That's just being ridiculous.

There are many movies and tv series with strong women, not just physically speaking.

Well, we could have realistic-looking female medieval-style warriors - that is, muscled women with faces looking well-battered in battle, wearing shapeless mail hauberks with coifs and smooth, practical helms.  ;)

Probably a limited market for that, though.

The damsel in distress trope is pretty passé in most instances - even Disney princesses are assertive (and often kick butt) these days.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Some of my favorite movies are of the damsel in distress type.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on June 19, 2017, 02:50:56 PM

We're not talking about those kinds of movies. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on June 19, 2017, 02:48:47 PM

Well, we could have realistic-looking female medieval-style warriors - that is, muscled women with faces looking well-battered in battle, wearing shapeless mail hauberks with coifs and smooth, practical helms.  ;)

You called?  :P

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on June 19, 2017, 02:53:30 PM

Let me guess - not made by Disney.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on June 19, 2017, 02:48:47 PM

More like a limited talent pool :)
Most actresses that reach the top echelons are actually quite feminine looking.  Years of genetic breeding by Hollywood studios, most likely :P

If you want girls looking like Ronda Rousey, girls that would be realistic as female figthers, you'll have to look outside of traditional acting schools, but then you run the risk of having girls who look the part but aren't that skilled in the acting ways.

Kinda like all those 80s male action heroes ;)

The damsel in distress trope is pretty passé in most instances - even Disney princesses are assertive (and often kick butt) these days.
I'm not really into Disney princesses, so I wouldn't know :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on June 19, 2017, 03:02:26 PM

Modern Disney princess:

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2017, 03:16:51 PM

Modern Disney princess:

I thought you said you didn't know about them, because you weren't into Disney princesses.  :P

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on June 19, 2017, 03:37:58 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2017, 03:16:51 PM

Modern Disney princess:

I thought you said you didn't know about them, because you weren't into Disney princesses.  :P
ok, I know the ones from Marvel and Star Wars branch :P

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on June 19, 2017, 12:23:57 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 19, 2017, 12:08:58 PM
So what was viper's point again?  That feminism is about displaying female heroes in strapless armor with prominent bare thighs?  The exploitation is the same thing except you can also see a belly button?

People see what they want to see.

no. I wanted to see her very naughty bit, didn't see it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Zanza on June 19, 2017, 02:04:38 PM
Carrie Fisher had traces of cocaine, heroin, methadone and MDMA in her blood when she died.

Keith Richards would call that "clean".
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on June 19, 2017, 02:04:38 PM
Carrie Fisher had traces of cocaine, heroin, methadone and MDMA in her blood when she died.

Good for her.  I hope I'm feeling that good when I check out.