News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

La La Land. I thought it was... okay? I guess I must be out of tune with the world since I don't get why everybody is creaming over this. The story is pretty insubstantial, the musical numbers are fine but there's actually pretty few of them... I guess from time to time people like movies where Hollywood says how wonderful it is to be in Hollywood.

Both leads are really charming, I'll give you that. But the whole YOU HAVE TO GIVE UP LOVE TO BE GREAT!!!!! theme worked far better in Whiplash. Here's so shoehorned into the glossy and sugary romance between them that I get the feeling that Chazelle really has an issue with that.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

I watched the first two episodes of The Young Pope  :)

Based on reviews, and CC's comments earlier, I was expecting a lot more surrealism...but after that crazy dream sequence early on, it swiftly moved into a fairly normal narrative style. Liking it a lot.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on January 19, 2017, 03:20:37 AM
La La Land. I thought it was... okay? I guess I must be out of tune with the world since I don't get why everybody is creaming over this. The story is pretty insubstantial, the musical numbers are fine but there's actually pretty few of them... I guess from time to time people like movies where Hollywood says how wonderful it is to be in Hollywood.

Both leads are really charming, I'll give you that. But the whole YOU HAVE TO GIVE UP LOVE TO BE GREAT!!!!! theme worked far better in Whiplash. Here's so shoehorned into the glossy and sugary romance between them that I get the feeling that Chazelle really has an issue with that.

Yes, I thought it was fun but no idea why so many awards.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on January 19, 2017, 09:01:05 AM

Based on reviews, and CC's comments earlier, I was expecting a lot more surrealism...but after that crazy dream sequence early on, it swiftly moved into a fairly normal narrative style. Liking it a lot.

The narrative part is not that compelling.  [spoiler]The first few times he makes it clear he is his own man are interesting - then it just gets repetitive.  The homily was anticlimactic for that reason [/spoiler]

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 18, 2017, 08:07:37 PM
So that's what you've been up to.  Watching movies.

Like every other non-practicing lawyer on Languish, I'm now a film critic. :P  No, I've just been doing my thing but posting here has felt like too much of a struggle, for some reason, probably the fall-out of the election.  Maybe I'll get involved a little more once DJ Trump is firmly ensconced in the White House.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2017, 10:45:57 AM
Quote from: Josephus on January 19, 2017, 09:01:05 AM

The narrative part is not that compelling.  [spoiler]The first few times he makes it clear he is his own man are interesting - then it just gets repetitive.  The homily was anticlimactic for that reason [/spoiler]

[spoiler]]I liked the homily. Yes you knew he wasn't going to use his Secretary of States...but I, anyway, did not know where he was going to go with it, and how he turned it into the rant of a meglomanicac.[spoiler][/s] I'm liking it so far.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2017, 12:22:20 PM
Death to Berniebots!

You don't like cheap weed & cool stripclubs?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 18, 2017, 08:06:24 PM

Elle -- Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous.  So happy I caught it before its theatrical run here ended. 

Isabelle Huppert is a legend in her own time, and her whole career is just a gift she's given to cinema.  While there other great performances in the film, it feels impossible to imagine another actress even taking this role, let alone doing such a job with it.

Against all odds, the news that "Paul Verhoeven made a rape movie" turned out to be very good, indeed. :)  Though I still can't believe he seriously tried to make it in the US first. :xd: I can just imagine the looks on the faces of the A-list Hollywood actresses as they read the synopsis before throwing it in the garbage.  Vive la France.

Not the first rape movie for Verhoeven [spoiler]Flesh + Blood[/spoiler].  :P

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 19, 2017, 03:38:32 PM
Not the first rape movie for Verhoeven [spoiler]Flesh + Blood[/spoiler].  :P

Hmm, never heard of it.  Is it worthwhile?  I guess anything by Verhoeven is, just to understand his unique and consistent, if sometimes bewildering, aesthetic.

viper37

Les Beaux Malaises will soon be available on Netflix all over the world.  Likely subtitled from its original french, even for the European snobs :P

Quebec's finest humour, in my opinion.

Close to a sitcom, with a real comic playing his own role in his semi-fictitious day-to-day live.  3 seasons, plus a soon to be aired 90 minutes special.
It follows the live of Martin Matte and his (fictional) wife and two children.  Some pretty funny moments in there.  Highly recommended for those who understand french, for the others, well, maybe the subtitles will be funny.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on January 18, 2017, 10:03:01 PM
I do like DDA an awful lot, though.

*Gasp*  Stop the freakin' presses! 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson