News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Watched the first episode of The Expanse. Liked it. The industrial bits remind me of Outland/Alien's Nostromo.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

The Birth of Sake

Beautiful documentary about an old sake brewery and its workers (including old men in onsen splashing water at each other and young men discussing which is their favourite costume fetish). Funny what the right light setting and some snow can do to make an industrial complex look good, anyhoo, now I want to visit Japan again.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

It really sucks the way they've devolved.

I remember in the 1980s, when A&E was the hoity-toity cable channel...you knew shit was real when you heard Bill Curtis' voice. Christ, they even ran Wagner's Ring cycle once.  Now, it's all fart jokes.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Liep

Indiana Jones on Netflix so I figured I had to watch. I can't get beyond Temple of Doom, two of the most annoying characters in movie history make it a chore to watch. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Liep on January 02, 2017, 02:48:43 PM
Indiana Jones on Netflix so I figured I had to watch. I can't get beyond Temple of Doom, two of the most annoying characters in movie history make it a chore to watch. :(

Typical Euro cinéma churlish cynicism.  Not everything needs to be The Bicycle Thief, Ingmar.

KRonn

Quote from: Syt on January 02, 2017, 03:21:47 AM
Watched the first episode of The Expanse. Liked it. The industrial bits remind me of Outland/Alien's Nostromo.

I saw that series last season when it began, I like it, it's a good show.

Josephus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 02, 2017, 02:53:42 PM

Typical Euro cinéma churlish cynicism.  Not everything needs to be The Bicycle Thief, Ingmar.

It's actually called Bicycle Thieves.  :contract:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

frunk

No need for apologies, it's a crappy movie.

celedhring

Temple of Doom haters made 2016 happen. FACT.

celedhring

I got dragged into Sing! The funniest part of the film, is that the plot is supposedly about a guy that wants to save his old and historied theater, and the main takeaway from the movie that theater is dead and you just have to move on and stage vapid talent shows instead if you don't want to go broke.

There's also a pretty eerie sequence where they play songs from 3 artists that died in 2016, in a row.

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on January 03, 2017, 03:55:10 AM
Temple of Doom haters made 2016 happen. FACT.

Temple of Doom apologists made 2016 happen. DOUBLE FACT.

Eddie Teach

Temple of Doom belongs to the 80s, for better or worse. (Hint, it's for better.) 2016 is clearly a result of Crystal Skull aliens mindfucking everyone.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.