Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Grimsby  -very stupid and juvenile. More so than expected even. But fun
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Flipping channels this AM, and tripped over the Doctor Who marathon on BBC America.  Had an episode from 1975, with all the production value of a middle school science fair. :bleeding:  Oh, you poor Brits.  And this was all you had back then with 4 TV channels.

Gave me flashback to Saturday nights, in the age of pre-24 hour programming and broadcast channels signing off,   when the only fucking thing on after SNL at 1am was a shitty Doctor Who episode from the 70s on PBS.  Blergh.

CountDeMoney

Although, I'd have banged the hell out of the little Brit brunette with the Dorothy Hamill haircut, little pert breasticles trying to hide under that woolen sweater, oh I see you, you know you can't hide.

Admiral Yi

Watched a noticeably chopped down version of Michael Clayton last night.  That's a shame.  The hit and run scene is down to 3 lines.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2016, 09:13:14 AM
Flipping channels this AM, and tripped over the Doctor Who marathon on BBC America.  Had an episode from 1975, with all the production value of a middle school science fair. :bleeding:  Oh, you poor Brits.  And this was all you had back then with 4 TV channels.

Gave me flashback to Saturday nights, in the age of pre-24 hour programming and broadcast channels signing off,   when the only fucking thing on after SNL at 1am was a shitty Doctor Who episode from the 70s on PBS.  Blergh.

Only three then and one of those still had an afternoon shutdown.   :bowler:

Then the 1am graveyard slots seemed to be reserved for various foreign language films.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2016, 09:16:53 AM
Although, I'd have banged the hell out of the little Brit brunette with the Dorothy Hamill haircut, little pert breasticles trying to hide under that woolen sweater, oh I see you, you know you can't hide.

Sarah Jane Smith?

Liep

The Grand Tour... they're back. I had hoped it would be more feature based as what I liked about top gear was the episodes long features with them doing silly stuff in other countries, but GT is more or less an exact copy of TG it seems.

So I'll expect one or two episodes that won't just involve them driving around in circles in overpriced cars.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Barton Fink. Started off kind of slow but I really enjoyed the second half.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Captain Fantastic. Loved it. Aragorn homeschools his children off the grid in the middle of the woods, in some kind of ultra-leftie Walden-like utopia, until her wife dies and they drive all the way to New Mexico to attend the funeral, whose conservative family never approved the way they lived. Pretty sweet, many hilarious moments (like how they substitute Christmas for "Noam Chomsky day"), and many other touching ones. I loved how they manage to portray Mortensen's character as both the worst and best parent ever.

Highly recommended.

Liep

Westworld has really captured me. I don't know if I think it's great but it's really intriguing at least, much depends on how they tie the ends together in the coming episodes. 
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

'Mad Max - Fury Road' - Good*

* I'll leave it to Ide to fill in the details.

KRonn

Quote from: Liep on November 21, 2016, 08:15:40 AM
Westworld has really captured me. I don't know if I think it's great but it's really intriguing at least, much depends on how they tie the ends together in the coming episodes.

This show has become a strong favorite of mine. It's intriguing trying to figure where the story will go, given what we're already seeing in the first half dozen episodes.

viper37

Frontier

That's the new Netflix & Discovery Canada series.  American & Canadian actors.  Centered on the fur trade of the great north in the late 18th/early 19th century.  No dates are given, but it's before the Napoleonic wars.  It deals with the Hudson Bay Company trying to preserve their monopoly on the North and West while they face competition from local and Montreal based fur merchants. We mainly follow Declan Harp (Momoa), an ex HBC agent fighting against them.

Stars Jason Momoa and a bunch of relatively unknown actors.

The story is good, but the acting is uneven.  Some actors are much better than others and it shows, unfortunately.  There's a lot of violence, but since it's also a canadian show, no nudity.  Sometimes, it feels like an average canadian show, sometimes like a little above the average Netflix/Amazon show, but still inferior to HBO shows, in my own opinion.

Still, it's a pretty solid show and the story seems to be evolving nicely after 3 episodes.  There are 6 episodes scheduled, I don't know if they'll stop there or are planning a second season.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

I watched Ghost Dog (1999) again.  After this election I find myself longing for the ancient ways.   :(

Still my favorite Jim Jarmusch film (although I haven't yet seen "Gimme Danger.")  I doubt anyone but Forest Whitaker could have made such a cold-blooded killer so warm and human.  Cliff Gorman rapping along with Flavor Flav is still great. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

11B4V

Watching Spotless right now.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".