And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 14, 2016, 04:53:08 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 14, 2016, 04:27:52 PM
I dunno if it started with Dirty Harry, but that's one of the exemplars of that particular trope. Not only are the politicians bad and obstructive, so is the law: the obviously-guilty brutal serial killer "gets off" with apologies and genuflections, because Harry didn't follow procedures! (Plus tortured him a bit). 

The movie was so much identified with this trope that in the sequel Magnum Force the creators quite consciously went the opposite way: Harry was up against a death squad of cops (a sort of more-extreme version of himself!)  :D

Yeah, Harry wound up becoming the dfender of the system against a smoother, more attractive and therefore  more sinister Magnum Force.

Unfortunately Tyne Daly didn't get shot in that one.

I thought that was pretty much Tyne Daly's best role.  :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 14, 2016, 07:43:57 PM
I thought that was pretty much Tyne Daly's best role.  :P

Bullet catcher? Just for the accent alone.   :lol:

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 14, 2016, 04:55:11 PM
Nowadays, however, the "you know how politicians are" trope is almost matter-of-factly, not in the name of injustice, but in the name of efficiency, or in the name of revenge - i.e., the bad guys could not be properly punished if the rules were followed, and politicians are sticklers for rules - again, not by virtue of the rules being good, but by virtue of wanting to have control.   
that specific part, I think, clearly evolved with the 2000s and 24.

In the 90s, you could have cop movies like Bad Boys, similar to cop movies of the 80s, where 1 or 2 cops go a little trigger happy on criminals, but nothing that would be clearly, definately, morally reprehensive and could be considered as defying orders.  Rules are an annoyance, but they don't really block you.

With 24 however, you get Jack Bauer constantly going against his own CTU and his own government in general to achieve his objectives of stopping the terrorists and uncovering the conspiracy.  Rules are optional.  Rules are made by the very people trying to protect themselves of their crimes.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Planned 3am movie: Caligula.

I'm gonna pop a Norco and space out.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Siege of Jadotville:B+

Hello or High Water: C
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 14, 2016, 09:58:03 PM
Planned 3am movie: Caligula.

I'm gonna pop a Norco and space out.

I tried watching it but I started having hallucinations. Maybe tonight!

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on November 16, 2016, 08:53:00 PM
Night Manager: A-

Yeah, it was definitely more than ok, not sure how it compares to the le Carre source, anyone read that?

Oh and just watch 'Ant-Man' - huge Meh.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Started watching Mr. Robot. It is good, but so depressing...

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 17, 2016, 01:55:20 AM
Independence Day 2. Meh.

Someone should make  'Meh - The Trilogy' could have some of us a lot of time:

Quote from: mongers on November 16, 2016, 10:09:57 PM

Oh and just watch 'Ant-Man' - huge Meh.  <_<

Ideologue

Hmph, Ant-Man was fantastic.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on November 17, 2016, 04:26:08 PM
Hmph, Ant-Man was fantastic.

Hi Ide, how're doing? :cheers:

No further comment on my part about the film.  :D

celedhring

Attack the Block - South London gangstas vs aliens. Pretty damn fun. John Boyega is much better here than in The Force Awakens, I hope they get something better out of him in the next films in the saga.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)