News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Started rewatching Deep Space Nine again, a while ago.
Season 1 is 98% boring.
Season 2 is 96% boring.
Season 3 is 90% good.

It keeps getting better :)  The introduction of the Defiant really shook things up.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

One thing I liked about DS9 was how it showed some of the negative sides of Roddenberry's utopia. The funniest might have been this exchange: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx5I7uEEEYo
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 14, 2016, 01:53:21 PM
One thing I liked about DS9 was how it showed some of the negative sides of Roddenberry's utopia. The funniest might have been this exchange: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx5I7uEEEYo

Good thing it wasn't supposed to be a comedy then  :P

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on November 14, 2016, 02:10:38 PM

Good thing it wasn't supposed to be a comedy then  :P

It was a comedy plot in that episode :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Oexmelin

Question for American TV series /movie buffs and other assorted fans:

When did the whole trope about "The Politicians" messing up the good, righteous work by police / military / spies begin?

(I ask, because I remain vaguely, and possibly irrationally, convinced that more people get politicized through fiction - i.e., NCIS, which has atrociously high ratings - than they are by actual political debate; and that trope has been disturbing me for a while now.).
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Minsky Moment

Oex - High Noon is probably an early origin point, but in the modern form I think the Dirty Harry series was pretty influential.

It goes counter to the traditional Western narrative of the implantation of political institutions being a sign of civilization, e.g. Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

Has anybody watched the Queen biopic series on Netflix?

mongers

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 14, 2016, 03:05:20 PM

When did the whole trope about "The Politicians" messing up the good, righteous work by police / military / spies begin?

(I ask, because I remain vaguely, and possibly irrationally, convinced that more people get politicized through fiction - i.e., NCIS, which has atrociously high ratings - than they are by actual political debate; and that trope has been disturbing me for a while now.).

It's a good question, I don't watch enough TV to know.

I think you're onto something regarding the political impact of violent cop shows like CSI etc, whenever I catch a few minutes of those it seems like the cops are acting like soldiers clearing houses in urban warfare, rather than policy by consent.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on November 14, 2016, 03:18:34 PM
Has anybody watched the Queen biopic series on Netflix?

Killer or regular?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on November 14, 2016, 03:23:27 PM
It's a good question, I don't watch enough TV to know.

I think you're onto something regarding the political impact of violent cop shows like CSI etc, whenever I catch a few minutes of those it seems like the cops are acting like soldiers clearing houses in urban warfare, rather than policy by consent.

I believe Ucks is raising a different issue than this: the dedicated cop/spy/whatever diligently pursuing bad guys while hamstrung by the self-seeking politician.

I don't have an answer to that question.  Seems like bad guy politicians have been a permanent fixture of American entertainment.

viper37

yeah, it's full of funny moments like that :D

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

I suspected this about [spoiler]Barnard[/spoiler] on Westworld for several episodes now.

Liep

Quote from: Martinus on November 14, 2016, 03:53:20 PM
I suspected this about [spoiler]Barnard[/spoiler] on Westworld for several episodes now.

[spoiler]There was something in the way Hopkins kept reminding him of his dead kid that was off.[/spoiler]
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

Quote from: Martinus on November 14, 2016, 03:53:20 PM

They handled the reveal really well.

This show continues to impress me.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 14, 2016, 03:05:20 PM

Started in the 70s, became the main point of mainstrean Hollywood action movies in the 80s.
Lots of cop movies with Kurt Russel and/or Sylvester Stallone where they complained about judges not keeping criminals inside.
Robocop, where the police force is privatized to better fight crime, while the good police officers are on strike.
There was also, Iron Eagles, I think, where a teenage kid goes on the rescue his dad abandonned by the govt.  Rambo II, Missing in Action 1,2,3.
Ask DuquedeBraganca for other reference work ;)

As much as tv show goes, I think the 80s is a good starting point too, but it was more subtle.  Knight Rider had a guy fighting crime for a private organization, not part of an organized police force.

The Practice, centered on defense lawyer, was very critical of government work too.  Boston Legal, despite being a comedy, touched these themes too.  In this case, it was defense attorneys against unscrupulous govt agents.

24 was the revelation.  Torture worked, but only on the bad guys.  There was always a conspiracy behind a conspiracy and it tainted everything that came after that.

NCIS, as a regular watcher, I don't feel it's really about politicians messing the good work of the people in the field.  More often than not, they work with the politicians (Sec Def), not against them, and rarely engage in illegal operations.  In fact, it's probably closer to CSI in spirit.
NCIS: Los Angeles is another matter.  Hawaii 5-0 follows in the pattern too, with torture and shooting once per episode, at least.

And yes, they have ridiculous ratings.  But fastfood is much more popular than other type of restaurants.