News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on October 26, 2016, 11:50:55 AM
It basically took Netflix to prove that your content is really valuable, and you should not sell it to companies like Netflix.

Some is, some isn't.  Netflix streaming is based around second tier and third tier content.  The owners of that IP are probably maximizing value and potential viewership by getting it on a platform like that. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

What I find interesting is that in the music world there's close to zero content differentiation between platforms. Spotify, iTunes, Deezer... have pretty much an identical catalog bar some exclusive artists here and there. Labels have little trouble licensing everything to anybody. However, in the movie/TV world, exclusive content is king and producers are very protective. And some of the largest players are actually the same in both industries! (WB, Universal, Sony)

garbon

Quote from: garbon on October 26, 2016, 11:40:29 AM
My point is I don't think at any point did they actually make a conscious decision to have a streaming service based on the basic premise you mentioned. I don't see any evidence for your assertion and considering the company's earlier history, I would think any evidence suggests that isn't why they started the service.

I was not saying they did it as some kind of "philosophical" thing though - they did it because they could and it was cheap. Obviously they kind of stumbled into it altogether.

But that isn't really my basic point - how they came to the spot where they were changing how content was delivered isn't the interesting part - the fact that once there we appear to be going back to a model under which Netflix could never have become what it is to begin with is what is interesting. At least, it is interesting to me.

It basically took Netflix to prove that your content is really valuable, and you should not sell it to companies like Netflix.

I think it took them to prove streaming can be valuable and that's it. I don't it really changed valuations of content just that it was worthwhile for others to develop streaming platforms rather than licensing to netflix.

edit: also as we know Amazon actually does good at getting other content - when I was leaving US they picked up old HBO shows...there is probably also something to be said about how Netflix is not positioned well to make such deals.

I do think there's something to be said how Netflix moved from digital blockbuster to also content creation. Similar to how Amazon sailed past just being a bookseller and also has content creation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2016, 11:59:36 AM
What I find interesting is that in the music world there's close to zero content differentiation between platforms. Spotify, iTunes, Deezer... have pretty much an identical catalog bar some exclusive artists here and there. Labels have little trouble licensing everything to anybody. However, in the movie/TV world, exclusive content is king and producers are very protective. And some of the largest players are actually the same in both industries! (WB, Universal, Sony)

And there's a lot less piracy in music now than for movies&tv shows.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 26, 2016, 11:58:54 AM

Some is, some isn't.  Netflix streaming is based around second tier and third tier content.  The owners of that IP are probably maximizing value and potential viewership by getting it on a platform like that. 

True, I am obviously over-generalizing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Speaking of the devil, Rick and Morty season 2 has been added to Spanish Netflix.  :)

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

frunk

If I remember right, [spoiler]the Devil doesn't show up in [/spoiler] Season 2.  Sorry.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2016, 11:59:36 AM
What I find interesting is that in the music world there's close to zero content differentiation between platforms. Spotify, iTunes, Deezer... have pretty much an identical catalog bar some exclusive artists here and there.\

We are already starting to see that arise in the video world with Vue and Sling aggregating different channels in competition with cable.  So, HBO, for example has its own standalone streaming service but also provides that content through Vue and Sling, plus Roku apps etc.  That's where I see this going - platforms that offer different combinations of bundles and a la carte video services that are essentially similar to one another, with content owners and providers making their IP available to all of them on essentially the same terms.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Y'all stop this jibber jabber and subscribe to DirecTV.  :mad:

mongers

Started watching 'Edge Of Darkness' , the original series.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

LaCroix

binged the night of. started off great, top tier pilot and some great early episodes. then it just spiraled downward and eventually turned into a glorified law & order

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2016, 04:02:48 PM
Y'all stop this jibber jabber and subscribe to DirecTV.  :mad:

Sorry, I like my programming to work when it rains.

The Minsky Moment

DirecTV is also coming out with its own streaming aggregator platform, very competitively priced.  Possibly a gambit to get approval of the TWC merger.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Is that streaming aggregator going to take precipitation into consideration?