News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on October 28, 2016, 10:41:25 AM
Also the series features a sleazy modeling agency which lures innocent young chicas into a world of prostitution

And, check again: http://www.trumpmodels.com/
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josephus

Just putting this out of nowhere....both Walking Dead and American Horror Story had someone getting his/ her head beaten to pulp.

TV is too violent. ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 28, 2016, 11:49:45 AM
Also the series features a sleazy modeling agency which lures innocent young chicas into a world of prostitution

they're only required to do it for the boss.  It doesn't count.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 28, 2016, 11:49:45 AM

:o

This explains so much.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2016, 10:50:57 AM
Consider this disturbing thought: if Americans learn to understand the realities of Mexico by watching Telenovelas on TV, and Mexico is right across the border - just imagine the worldview space aliens are getting of Humanity as a whole, from listening in on broadcast TV.  :hmm:

No wonder they haven't contacted us yet, except to indulge in anal probings.  :P

Especially since the first television broadcasts to any significant degree were the 1936 Olympics.

(Although I once crunched the number for Ide; even under highly idealized circumstances, our closest neighbor would need an antenna about twice the size of the moon in order to pick up our television signals.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on October 28, 2016, 12:28:50 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2016, 10:50:57 AM
Consider this disturbing thought: if Americans learn to understand the realities of Mexico by watching Telenovelas on TV, and Mexico is right across the border - just imagine the worldview space aliens are getting of Humanity as a whole, from listening in on broadcast TV.  :hmm:

No wonder they haven't contacted us yet, except to indulge in anal probings.  :P

Especially since the first television broadcasts to any significant degree were the 1936 Olympics.

(Although I once crunched the number for Ide; even under highly idealized circumstances, our closest neighbor would need an antenna about twice the size of the moon in order to pick up our television signals.)

Well, sure; but they would have to get a lot closer than that to indulge in anal probing.   ;) If they can do that, they can pick up our TV signals, same as us.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Anyone watching the HBO's "Young Pope"? It seems like House of Cards in Vatican. So far interesting.

mongers

Quote from: mongers on October 26, 2016, 06:47:58 PM
Started watching 'Edge Of Darkness' , the original series.  :bowler:

Seems to have stood the test of time well, now 30 years old. :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: Martinus on October 28, 2016, 03:15:17 PM
Anyone watching the HBO's "Young Pope"? It seems like House of Cards in Vatican. So far interesting.

Strangely HBO's Young Pope doesn't air on HBO for a few months. :-(
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Cut Snake

Fairly fun Aussie crime drama even though clear from the start how its going to end.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2016, 05:54:35 PM
Cut Snake

Fairly fun Aussie crime drama even though clear from the start how its going to end.

Telegraph poles figured prominently?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on October 28, 2016, 08:33:09 AM
So, anyone seen Dr Strange already? I am seeing very good reviews all around. It might be the rare movie I will see in a cinema (the last one was Guardians of Galaxy).
Not out for another week here in states :(
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 29, 2016, 07:41:03 PM
"For God's sake, some of you have only seen Raging Bull once," he added.

But I've also seen Rocky, Cinderella Man, The Fighter and The Hurricane. So I'm good.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?