News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Looks really cool. I have been to Wien several times and I shouldn't have missed this.  :hmm:

Syt

It's the main theater for the Vienna film festival, and usually does arthouse and retrospectives, but also invites live performers, e.g. Jimmy Carr or Bill Bailey have performed there this or last year.

There's also the Film Museum which does more esoteric stuff like currently a thing with French crime movies 1958 - 2009.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2016, 09:31:38 AM
Saw a very good kid's movie (with my kid): Kubo and the Two Strings. Really beautiful animation. A somewhat dark storyline, may be scary for younger kids.

I enjoyed that as well.  I was impressed by both the story and the animation; though the only thing I had seen from Laika studios before that was their fine work in "A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

In order to improve my Spanish I've started watching Telenovelas (never let it be said that I have not suffered for the sake of knowledge.)  I'm watching Mariana de la Noche right now.  A lot of the tension in the story is that there is a good girl and a bad girl which both love the protagonist.  While they don't come out and say which one is the bad girl and which one is the good girl; you can tell which is which by a number of subtle clues:

The bad girl has darker hair.
The good girl has lighter colored hair.

The bad girl usually wears pants.
The good girl always wears skirts or dresses.

The bad girl has a stereotypical masculine profession; she runs a mine.
The good girl has a stereotypical feminine profession; she's an elementary school teacher.

The bad girl romantically pursues the protagonist.
The good girl is romantically pursued by the protagonist.

The bad girl smokes cigarillos.
The good girl doesn't smoke.

The bad girl has a whip, which she uses to resolve inter-personal conflicts.
The good girl doesn't even own a whip.

The really funny part, though, is the bad girl is played by none other than Angélica Rivera, the current first lady of Mexico.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

Watched Captain America : Civil War last night.

The Verdict : Spiderman, spiderman, SPIDERMAN!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on September 15, 2016, 12:10:27 PM
In order to improve my Spanish I've started watching Telenovelas (never let it be said that I have not suffered for the sake of knowledge.)  I'm watching Mariana de la Noche right now.  A lot of the tension in the story is that there is a good girl and a bad girl which both love the protagonist.  While they don't come out and say which one is the bad girl and which one is the good girl; you can tell which is which by a number of subtle clues:

Why watch that when you could (re)watch Spanish classics or the complete works of Jess Franco? :(
Post-synchronised/dubbed whatever in a surrealistic way.

Thinking of him because the Franco-German cultural channel just showed Vampyros Lesbos, his classic proto-Rollln opus. :)

Savonarola

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 15, 2016, 01:42:31 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 15, 2016, 12:10:27 PM

Why watch that when you could (re)watch Spanish classics or the complete works of Jess Franco? :(
Post-synchronised/dubbed whatever in a surrealistic way.

Thinking of him because the Franco-German cultural channel just showed Vampyros Lesbos, his classic proto-Rollln opus. :)

I've found that Telenovelas are a good place to start since you don't need to understand every word to know what's going on; but I do plan to move onto the classics of Spanish language cinema (though not necessarily those of Jesús Franco) later.

The Larch

If you learn Spanish with telenovelas you might end up with a Colombian or Venezuelan accent.  :P

The Brain

The TV is on (muted). Tom Hanks just discovered that there's black people on board his ship. :o
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on September 15, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
The TV is on (muted). Tom Hanks just discovered that there's black people on board his ship. :o

:lol:

Josephus

I was at a resort in the Domincan once. Saw a black man on the beach. Was going to wave him down for a drink, but then my friend informed me he was a guest.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on September 15, 2016, 04:43:30 PM

I was at a resort in the Domincan once. Saw a black man on the beach. Was going to wave him down for a drink, but then my friend informed me he was a guest.

Alternative ending:

"Was going to wave him down for a drink, but then two security guards beat him up and dragged him off"

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

FunkMonk

Watching Friday Night Lights for the first time. In season 1 right now. I want to be like Coach Taylor when I grow up.  :cry:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 15, 2016, 05:25:00 PM
Watching Friday Night Lights for the first time. In season 1 right now. I want to be like Coach Taylor when I grow up.  :cry:

The TV series wasn't half bad, actually.

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 15, 2016, 05:31:06 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on September 15, 2016, 05:25:00 PM

The TV series wasn't half bad, actually.

I poo-poohed it years ago when it was on television. I'm having a great time with it so far now. Lotta good eye candy on it too  ;)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.