And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on August 05, 2016, 08:58:26 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 05, 2016, 08:53:53 AM
Fair enough; I just think you are perhaps mistaking the age of their target market. I don't think teens would be caught dead watching this stuff.

Yep. It is TweenerTV. Believe us Celedhring, as parents we get subjected to this shit all the time.

Don't you have multiple TVs?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 05, 2016, 11:21:08 AM

I don't watch TV outside of sporting events but yes. However we eat at places that have kids rooms that have TVs that are always playing the Disney channel. So while I am chatting with my wife and/or parents tweener soap operas are playing in the background.

Also when you have little kids they like you and want you to share things with them so from time to time they will ask me to watch a show with them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 05, 2016, 11:22:49 AM
Also when you have little kids they like you and want you to share things with them so from time to time they will ask me to watch a show with them.

I think I would say 'oh no thank you'.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on August 05, 2016, 12:07:39 PM

Meh. My parents would never have been caught watching what we kids watched, but parenting standards are on average different these days - I'd say most parents do a lot more together with their kids than my parent's generation ever did, and that includes watching TV and movies together.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

dps

Quote from: Malthus on August 05, 2016, 12:37:24 PM

Meh. My parents would never have been caught watching what we kids watched, but parenting standards are on average different these days - I'd say most parents do a lot more together with their kids than my parent's generation ever did, and that includes watching TV and movies together.

I hesitate to contradict you on this, given that I don't have children myself, but observing my friends' and in-laws' interactions with their kids would suggest that parents today spend much less time with their kids than what I was accustomed to growing up.

Eddie Teach

We watched TV together, but that meant I saw more mature programming like la law and Tour of Duty.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

I usually offer to take the nephews off-roading or something instead. There's no TV show that can compete with that.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: dps on August 05, 2016, 01:01:30 PM

I hesitate to contradict you on this, given that I don't have children myself, but observing my friends' and in-laws' interactions with their kids would suggest that parents today spend much less time with their kids than what I was accustomed to growing up.

Science!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7560004/Parents-spend-more-time-with-children-than-generation-ago.html

Fact is that parents spend far, far more time with their kids now than when I was growing up - to the point many complain about it and consider it pathological (hence all sorts of debates over "helicopter' parents, 'free range' kids, etc.).

Think of the vast social changes in how kids play. When I was growing up, my parents would never have dreamed of caring what I did after school - "be home by supper time" was the rule. Now, parents are simply expected to care more, and be more involved. Ever heard of a "play date"? When I was growing up, they didn't even exist. Now, at least in middle class households, you are expected to arrange their damn social rounds for them. You can't escape it, because everyone else does too.

The inevitable result is that you end up spending a lot more time with them. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Yeah my rule was to come home when the streetlights came on. CPS will take kids away for that today.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

Yeah, I didn't spend much time with my parents as a kid. Most of the time I was outside playing with friends or watching the telly, or just fighting with my brother. And I had two very loving parents, they just let us be.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on August 05, 2016, 08:36:34 AM
Yeah Disney is TweenerTV. If you have younger kids they have to watch Disney Jr.

It's hilarious, my nieces watch all that Disney fluff, and I feel morally compelled to constantly remind them that junior high and high isn't really like that, you know, it's not a happy fun place where everybody gets along with everybody else including the teachers and has wacky group conversations in the hall for 20 minutes between classes;  it's a Hobbesian existence where life is nasty, brutish and short.

Admiral Yi

Just watched the 30 for 30 on the Big East Conference.

Made me realize how blessed I was to have a front row seat to what can only be described as the golden age of college basketball.

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 05, 2016, 06:32:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 05, 2016, 08:36:34 AM
Yeah Disney is TweenerTV. If you have younger kids they have to watch Disney Jr.

It's hilarious, my nieces watch all that Disney fluff, and I feel morally compelled to constantly remind them that junior high and high isn't really like that, you know, it's not a happy fun place where everybody gets along with everybody else including the teachers and has wacky group conversations in the hall for 20 minutes between classes;  it's a Hobbesian existence where life is nasty, brutish and short.

Next you'll be saying not everyone is beautiful
██████
██████
██████

dps

Quote from: Malthus on August 05, 2016, 02:34:34 PM
Quote from: dps on August 05, 2016, 01:01:30 PM

Science!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7560004/Parents-spend-more-time-with-children-than-generation-ago.html

Fact is that parents spend far, far more time with their kids now than when I was growing up - to the point many complain about it and consider it pathological (hence all sorts of debates over "helicopter' parents, 'free range' kids, etc.).

Think of the vast social changes in how kids play. When I was growing up, my parents would never have dreamed of caring what I did after school - "be home by supper time" was the rule. Now, parents are simply expected to care more, and be more involved. Ever heard of a "play date"? When I was growing up, they didn't even exist. Now, at least in middle class households, you are expected to arrange their damn social rounds for them. You can't escape it, because everyone else does too.

The inevitable result is that you end up spending a lot more time with them. 

Well, just spending time with your kids isn't what I meant necessarily.  I meant doing things with them.  When I was little, my parents played games with us (stuff like Shoots and Ladders when we were really little, moving up to Monopoly and the like when we were a bit older).  I don't see parents doing that much anymore.  There were plenty of times when we were at my sister-in-law's place, and we might be playing cards with her an her husband, and the kids might be in the same room watching TV, but their parents weren't really interacting with them.

Plus, a couple of other things.  When I was little, basically everyone had one TV in the house, and the whole family watched it together.  Now there's a TV in every room, and a family of 4 might be in 4 different rooms watching 4 different things, or even all watching the same thing but in different rooms.  And after my little brother was born, our mom was a stay-at-home mom, and I find it difficult to believe that in families where both parents work they can possibly spend as much time with the kids as a non-working parent.

I have no doubt that kids today have almost no freedom and unsupervised play time as we had growing up, but I don't quite buy that that actually translates into parents actually doing stuff with their children.

And BTW, while I think kids should have more independence and unstructured play time, I also think that parents should actually play with their kids, so if you do spend your time with your kids actually taking part in activities with them, good for you.  And good for your kids, too.

lustindarkness

Suicide Squad, great fun with a bit of a identity crisis and some easy to ignore plot holes. 
Grand Duke of Lurkdom