News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Star Trek Beyond (2016)

I didn't see the second one in the reboot series, but as compared to the first the Treknobabble has become considerably more egregious, and the deus ex machina Treknology at the end was so monumentally stupid that everyone with a STEM degree should get a free slap on director Justin Lin.

It's obvious that Lin was a director from the Fast and Furious series, since the focus is on fight scenes, explosions and chases.  The cast is enjoyable in their quieter moments, but those are few and far between.  As such the film isn't a bad action film; not one of the better Star Trek pictures, but enjoyable enough for what it is.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

Rewatching Independence Day. It's much more horrible than I thought it would be. I remember it being fun, but now I can't look beyond the bad dialogue, acting, plot, cliches (maybe it originated some of them though :P)
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Independence Day is a phenomenally bad movie.  I can't think of a single scene that is not cringe-inducing.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Liep on August 03, 2016, 02:02:34 PM
Rewatching Independence Day. It's much more horrible than I thought it would be. I remember it being fun, but now I can't look beyond the bad dialogue, acting, plot, cliches (maybe it originated some of them though :P)
It is a delight :contract:

(Re-watch on a regular basis)
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Liep

It'll win me back over again when the he does the speech. :cry:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2016, 03:03:21 PM
Independence Day is a phenomenally bad movie.  I can't think of a single scene that is not cringe-inducing.

True. So far the only good thing has been the first few scenes of the space crafts entering the atmosphere, that still looks cool 20 years after.

The Brain

Independence Day is horrible garbage.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: Savonarola on August 03, 2016, 01:26:37 PM
Star Trek Beyond (2016)

I didn't see the second one in the reboot series, but as compared to the first the Treknobabble has become considerably more egregious, and the deus ex machina Treknology at the end was so monumentally stupid that everyone with a STEM degree should get a free slap on director Justin Lin.

It's obvious that Lin was a director from the Fast and Furious series, since the focus is on fight scenes, explosions and chases.  The cast is enjoyable in their quieter moments, but those are few and far between.  As such the film isn't a bad action film; not one of the better Star Trek pictures, but enjoyable enough for what it is.

I was kind of amazed that most people reactions to the news that the guy who did 29 Fast and Furious movies was taking over the Star Trek franchise was generally very positive. Like what ST really needed was more brainless action and "cool" chase scenes.

I figured someone, either myself or them, was really missing the point of Star Trek as a franchise.

I am bummed out that it seems my fears were accurate, and ST has been turned into a shallow popcorn action flick even more so than ever...?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

Independence Day is fucking terrible.

mongers

Still enjoying 'Versailles'
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on August 03, 2016, 05:42:14 PM
Independence Day is fucking terrible.

...He says before he even goes to see it, because as we all know, The Larch isn't so naive as to believe that Independence Day wouldn't be fucking terrible, and would be too intelligent to even bother to try to find out...

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 03, 2016, 03:07:41 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 03, 2016, 02:02:34 PM
It is a delight :contract:

(Re-watch on a regular basis)

Agreed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

ID4 was dumb, enjoyable fun.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2016, 03:03:21 PM

The White House explosion.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?