News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Savonarola on August 01, 2016, 04:32:26 PM
I also watched a collection of Our Gang shorts, that had films from the generation at the beginning of sound (led by Jackie Cooper) to the early Spanky-Alfalfa-Buckwheat-Darla generation.  It's still surprising how young Spanky McFarland was when he started (he was 3) and how young he was when he became the ringleader (age 7.)  Hal Roach had struggled to find a leader since Jackie Cooper left the gang and Spanky fit the bill perfectly.  (And, like most of the rascals, by age 14 he was all washed up.)

That sounds more like you.

I've kept with my Astaire binge with Follow the Fleet. Wondering whether to follow up with Swing Time. I don't think the film is that hot, but damn if "Never gonna dance" isn't one of the best dancing duets ever filmed.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on August 01, 2016, 04:29:38 PM
Why are you subjecting yourself to so much crap lately, Sav?
The Legally Blonde films are a delight :contract:
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on August 01, 2016, 04:38:43 PM
Also I've run out of silent films on Netflix, so I've been watching early sound films which, well, there's a reason for the jokes in "Singin' in the Rain."

You ever go through other providers' selections, like Hulu, Popcornflix and some of the other more obscure streaming apps?

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 01, 2016, 06:52:09 PM
Also I've run out of silent films on Netflix, so I've been watching early sound films which, well, there's a reason for the jokes in "Singin' in the Rain."

You ever go through other providers' selections, like Hulu, Popcornflix and some of the other more obscure streaming apps?

The Jefferson's, Sanford & Son, sure.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

I wasn't talking to you, Archie.

Savonarola

No, anything that you'd recommend?  I've used Youtube, which is an excellent source especially for the early silent era, but quality can vary greatly. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on August 01, 2016, 07:15:12 PM

No, anything that you'd recommend?  I've used Youtube, which is an excellent source especially for the early silent era, but quality can vary greatly.

As far as silents go, Netflix is probably the biggest, but Hulu has a decent collection of not just oldie B&Ws but also foreign ones as well as the Criterion Collection--which is always growing with old classics--and SnagFilm has a decent crappy scifi/grindhouse collection.  :D

For more silents, check out www.fandor.com and www.bnwmovies.com as well.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 01, 2016, 04:54:30 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 01, 2016, 04:29:38 PM
Why are you subjecting yourself to so much crap lately, Sav?
The Legally Blonde films are a delight :contract:

Crap can be delightful. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

A show called Casual popped up on my recommended list on HBO Nordic, Reitman instructed so I thought I'd give it a go. Ended up binging the first two seasons.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Damn, Suicide Squad is tanking with the US critics. I had hopes with this one...

LaCroix

recently saw Stranger Things. binged the whole first season in a night after seeing the first episode. good show, but I'm not sure how well S2 will go

celedhring

I honestly can't get hooked to Stranger Things, and everybody around me loves it. I should love it too, since I'm a child of the 80s myself.

It just feels so... recycled. Characters, plots, visuals... all seems lifted from something else. Which I get it's kinda the point of the show, but it feels too artificial.

I guess I'll keep watching until the end, since it isn't very long and everybody is talking about it.

LaCroix

iirc because it kind of all blends together, it picks up more during (kinda spoiler, I guess) [spoiler]the monster hunt, ep 5-6[/spoiler]

the weird brother gets better, too. I thought he sucked first episode. the jock/chad is a great side character.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: LaCroix on August 03, 2016, 04:47:07 AM
recently saw Stranger Things. binged the whole first season in a night after seeing the first episode. good show, but I'm not sure how well S2 will go

What's this show about?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

LaCroix

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 03, 2016, 05:17:03 AMWhat's this show about?

sort of like an R rated goonies/ET. three different groups (kids, teenagers, and adults) who investigate something. the child actors do a phenomenal job. lots of nerdy references, like radagast and mirkwood, D&D, etc. set in the 80s. good soundtrack, too.