News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/dune-2-first-reactions-masterpiece-chalamet-zendaya-1235908114/
Quote'Dune: Part Two' First Reactions Praise Denis Villeneuve's 'Spectacular' Sequel: 'Jaw-Dropping' and Among the 'Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Ever'

Looks like Dune 2 is on the menu boys. We eatin good
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on February 15, 2024, 05:57:51 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 15, 2023, 08:39:11 PMMadame Web looks like it might be good. Or it could be another Marvels. Trailer at least looks good.

Guess it fell on the marvels side of the coin :lol:
Ouch.  3.8/10 on Imdb.  That's harsch. 
2.2 for the user score on MetaCritic, it's even worst.  My God, what happened there?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on February 16, 2024, 01:03:46 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 15, 2024, 05:57:51 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 15, 2023, 08:39:11 PMMadame Web looks like it might be good. Or it could be another Marvels. Trailer at least looks good.

Guess it fell on the marvels side of the coin :lol:
Ouch.  3.8/10 on Imdb.  That's harsch. 
2.2 for the user score on MetaCritic, it's even worst.  My God, what happened there?

You know the amazing thing about the MCU is how they started with a bunch of B and C Tier superheroes.  They had to because all their A-tier heroes like Spiderman, the Fantastic Four and even the Hulk were owned by different studios.

But even though Iron Man or Thor were B Tier - at least I'd heard of them before.

Sony is trying to make its own Spider-man connected universe.  And they had a minor hit with Venom I guess.  But honestly - who the fuck is Madam Web?  Who is asking for this movie?  And the same question about  Morbius last year.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

El Cid

Spanish tv show on Amazon Prime.

It's about an obscure Spanish Castillian hero that I never heard of before seeing the show. ;)
Dubbed in English, about average dubbing.

Not many battles, but plenty of political intrigues and some incest, mostly insinuated.

For a non American show, it's not bad.  Obviously, not as much budget as Hollywood productions.  Don't know enough about the real El Cid to judge the historicity of the show.  The main elements seem there. All the King's kids seem like assholes.

Of note is that Spanish writers seem to have some weird conception of Medieval Europe outside of their borders.  Two handed female sword-wielding barbarian from Neustria or Saxonia?  No one seem to really know where she comes from at the court?  Really?  The new King of Leon is marrying some axe wielding s/m adept barbarian princess or unknown origin in the 11th century?  Well, like I said, they do have a weird conception of the world outside of their borders.  :P 

Celedh, was this written by a friend of yours?  :ph34r:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

You had never heard of El Cid  :huh:

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on February 16, 2024, 01:07:15 PMSony is trying to make its own Spider-man connected universe.  And they had a minor hit with Venom I guess.  But honestly - who the fuck is Madam Web?  Who is asking for this movie?  And the same question about  Morbius last year.

Comic reads might know the character, as would people who watched the 90s cartoon. That being said movie version appears to be very different (haven't watched it). So it's worse, they took a C character and changed it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2024, 01:19:06 PMYou had never heard of El Cid  :huh:
wink would indicate that he does know of him, if not in depth :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on February 16, 2024, 01:19:19 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 16, 2024, 01:07:15 PMSony is trying to make its own Spider-man connected universe.  And they had a minor hit with Venom I guess.  But honestly - who the fuck is Madam Web?  Who is asking for this movie?  And the same question about  Morbius last year.

Comic reads might know the character, as would people who watched the 90s cartoon. That being said movie version appears to be very different (haven't watched it). So it's worse, they took a C character and changed it.

Ah. Going back to the classic pre x men way of doing comic films.

Not exactly an authoritive film reviewer but... Zero stars for madam Web. Wow. Thats not normal.

https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/film/madame-web-movie-review-dakota-johnson-tahar-rahim-b1139271.html
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Finally got round to watching Edgerunners...
That was quite something. Bittersweet ending.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2024, 01:19:06 PMYou had never heard of El Cid  :huh:
I was joking to tease our Iberian friends :)

There was a kids's tv show about him when I was about 6-7 years old, that was the first I heard about him.

Then some books, then the Charlton Heston movie, Age of Empires II, Wikipedia, and so on.

I'm just not well versed in the minute details of his life, as in the chronology, when did he do X and Y, when did this or that happened, if he had an any adventure before his marriage, etc.

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on February 16, 2024, 01:56:35 PMNot exactly an authoritive film reviewer but... Zero stars for madam Web. Wow. Thats not normal.

https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/film/madame-web-movie-review-dakota-johnson-tahar-rahim-b1139271.html
As the credits rolled, I stayed and watched all the names floating upwards, aghast at what I had just seen, feeling sorry for everyone down to the second assistant assistants who have probably already decided on a new career in cyber. 

I think this is the worst review I've ever seen...

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on February 16, 2024, 01:12:44 PMEl Cid

Of note is that Spanish writers seem to have some weird conception of Medieval Europe outside of their borders.  Two handed female sword-wielding barbarian from Neustria or Saxonia?  No one seem to really know where she comes from at the court?  Really?  The new King of Leon is marrying some axe wielding s/m adept barbarian princess or unknown origin in the 11th century?  Well, like I said, they do have a weird conception of the world outside of their borders.  :P 

Celedh, was this written by a friend of yours?  :ph34r:

They also had a weird conception of Medieval Europe inside Spanish borders. Not a very historical show to say the least. But it went for spectacle and pulp. And no, I'm not familiar with the people involved.

A decently historical Spanish show is Isabel, if you're interested.

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on February 16, 2024, 01:56:35 PM

Not exactly an authoritive film reviewer but... Zero stars for madam Web. Wow. Thats not normal.

I went to wikipedia and found this about the writers:

QuoteMatt Sazama and Burk Sharpless are American writers, best known for writing films together, like Dracula Untold, The Last Witch Hunter, Gods of Egypt, Morbius and Madame Web.

I mean, what were people expecting? :D

And how are these guys still getting work...

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on February 17, 2024, 02:52:17 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 16, 2024, 01:56:35 PM

I went to wikipedia and found this about the writers:

QuoteMatt Sazama and Burk Sharpless are American writers, best known for writing films together, like Dracula Untold, The Last Witch Hunter, Gods of Egypt, Morbius and Madame Web.

I mean, what were people expecting? :D

And how are these guys still getting work...

They give very good blow jobs.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Last episode of Masters of the Air. Best episode ever
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011