News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

New episode of Ted Lasso was good. I get strong Zlatan Ibrahimovic vibes from Zava.  :hmm:  :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on March 22, 2023, 08:09:04 AMI love coach beard.

Really?  He's such an enigmatic character.  Unless that's what you like about him.

You know it's so funny to think that this now-Emmy-award-winning show started out as some commercials to promote the EPL on NBC sports.  And that Coach Beard (together with Ted Lasso) are the only characters that combine the two...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on March 22, 2023, 11:39:47 AM

Really?  He's such an enigmatic character.  Unless that's what you like about him.

I mainly like the comedy beats. Like in the last episode his reaction to the news of the break up. It's unexpected.just makes me laugh.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on March 22, 2023, 11:39:47 AM

You know it's so funny to think that this now-Emmy-award-winning show started out as some commercials to promote the EPL on NBC sports.  And that Coach Beard (together with Ted Lasso) are the only characters that combine the two...

The guy who plays Coach Beard is a long time friend and collaborator of Jason Sudeikis, and is also part of the writing team for the show.

Savonarola

Once when I was at the Vincent van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam I got the song "Vincent" by Don McLean stuck in my head.  No matter what I couldn't stop hearing it, even thinking of "Yellow Submarine" or "It's a Small World After All" didn't help.  (This was especially aggravating since "Starry Night" isn't even there, it's at MOMA.)  I had that happen again, but with the verse from Bob Dylan's I shall be free:

Well, my telephone rang it would not stop
It's President Kennedy callin' me up
He said, "My friend, Bob, what do we need to make the country grow?"
I said, "My friend, John, Brigitte Bardot
Anita Ekberg
Sophia Loren"
(Put 'em all in the same room with Ernest Borgnine!)

While watching

La Dolce Vita (1960)

I think this has two phenomenal vignettes; the part with Anita Ekberg and the part where they go to the castle.  The rest of the movie is... okay.  I'm not really a fan of the vignette style.  I think Fellini has a deft sense of humor (Roberto Rossellini's films are noticeably drearier without him) and the Felliniesque absurdity is always fun; but (other than Nights of Cabiria) I don't think his movies as a whole are all that great.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Larch

Just watched Robert de Niro's Ronin, and what a fine, totally unexpected movie it was. Pretty good supporting cast too. Jean Reno, Sean Bean, Stellan Skarsgaard...

The 90s sure were a great setting for spy/heist films.

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on March 25, 2023, 12:17:11 PMJust watched Robert de Niro's Ronin, and what a fine, totally unexpected movie it was. Pretty good supporting cast too. Jean Reno, Sean Bean, Stellan Skarsgaard...

Yes, great movie, good car chases. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on March 25, 2023, 12:17:11 PMJust watched Robert de Niro's Ronin, and what a fine, totally unexpected movie it was. Pretty good supporting cast too. Jean Reno, Sean Bean, Stellan Skarsgaard...

Yeah, I love that movie. Uncredited David Mamet script, btw. You can see his fingers all over the place.

FunkMonk

Ladies and gentlemen, it's Succession Day.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 26, 2023, 08:07:47 AMLadies and gentlemen, it's Succession Day.

It's gonna be a great season.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

"Artyom" (of course) has probably been in as many movie sets as I've been to Real Madrid home games. 

The Larch

What happened in the show to deserve such an edgelord-ish comment?

Tamas

Held as many jobs of any kind as well, I think.