And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on March 29, 2023, 02:26:26 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 28, 2023, 04:17:54 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 28, 2023, 03:36:49 PMInterestingly, this time I liked the second one far more than the first

Now you understand the 7th Seal homage.  :P

That's part of it, I guess.  :P

The other part is that now I recognized Primus as one of the bands in the end. Primus are awesome.

Overall, it's obvious they had much more money for this one and it has much more interesting visuals - all the hell scenes, the evil twin robots in the scenes they share together, etc... It's trippy and surreal.  Plus I appreciate that they just didn't rehash the first movie like most sequels would do.

Both movies are certainly "lightning in a bottle". The plot makes no sense and certainly has no intention of making it, some of the jokes are dumb beyond belief., and the two leads could very easily be extremely annoying.. but Reeves and Winter are so charismatic and likeable, and the whole thing is so damn fun, that it just clicks.

They absolutely could have just gone with "Oh no!  Bill and Ted are failing their college course!  Better fire up the time machine again!"  But instead we got a trippy Seventh Seal joke (of all things).

Face The Music is fun.  It's definitely a nostalgia piece, but one done from love.  If you enjoyed the original movies it's a good watch. If you didn't enjoy them stay far away.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Banshees of Imersherin - pretty good and funny.
I can't help but see the whole thing as an analogy for being a teenager in a small town. I can't but relate to Colm up to an extent.

Also started a Korean drama named Mr Queen. Modern guy gets thrown back in time to the body of an early 19th century (I think?) queen.  The whole thing seems a spoof of historic dramas, which I haven't really watched the Korean variety of, but funny nonetheless. I do like modern person thrown back in time stuff.
20 episodes of 80 minutes each other... Jesus. That's why I've never really gotten into taiga dramas either!
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Syt on December 16, 2022, 03:03:40 AMSeason 9 of Curb Your Enthusiasm. At the end of S8 I thought about actually taking a break from the show; and apparently so did the creators. Season 8 finished in 2011, and Season 9 started in 2017.

I liked that they shook up the dynamic a bit by having Larry get divorced (probably playing on the trope of jerk husbands in sitcoms having unreasonably loyal/understanding wives). Torn on the addition of Leon. He has some good bits, but he seems incredibly one note (maybe more so than some of the other characters, like Susie).

Overall, the show seems to have gone from comedic situations and absurdities arising mostly organically and then have the characters (mostly Larry) reacting unreasonably and getting his come-uppance to the characters going out of their way to manufacture and create absurd situations and plots, making this basically "just another sitcome". Bit sad, really. (Though I did appreciate the Salman Rushdie cameo in the last episode I watched.)

With much delay I finally finished S9 of Curb Your Enthusiasm. It got a bit better at the end, but the whole season felt like a bit of a slog.

Three episodes into S10 (in which Larry is accused of sexual harassment) and I feel it's already miles better than S9.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

And Jaws is halfway between us and Metropolis.

The Matrix doe feel rather dated by now.

celedhring

Quote from: Maladict on April 01, 2023, 12:38:38 PMAnd Jaws is halfway between us and Metropolis.

The Matrix doe feel rather dated by now.

The Matrix even got its nostalgia reboot already.

Incidentally, I was discussing the other day how all those nostalgia reboots/sequels are so much more prevalent this generation when compared to others. You had stuff like the 1950s revival in the 1970s and 1980s (Grease, Back to the Future, Peggy Sue Got Married, etc...), but those were at least new original movies.

Tamas

Yeah but in parallel, TV is better than ever.

Cinema is dying, we are seeing the death rattles.

Syt

The marriage in Cabo episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm featured renditions of La Paloma, a tune I connect to Hamburg more than Mexico as it's one of the most famous songs in German cinema.

Helmut Käutner was active as director from the 1940s till 1970. Even though he started making films in the 3rd Reich, he was not exactly a fan of the regime and tried to keep their propaganda out of his works.

Shot in 1943, Große Freiheit Nr. 7 is a drama set in the red light district of Hamburg. Sailor Hannes (originally Jonny, but the propaganda ministry didn't approve of the English sounding name), played by Hans Albers, promises to look after his dying brother's girlfriend. He falls in love with her, and wants to settle down and marry her, but she falls in love with another guy, Georg. Georg, on the other hand, thinks she's in love with Hannes and working as a prostitute. Hannes and Georg brawl, and in the end the girl goes to Georg to clarify matters with him and stays the night. Hannes was waiting all night for her to return and finally decides to go back to sea, signing up on a freighter.

Due to the bombings, the movie could not be shot in Hamburg (or Berlin, for that matter) besides a few scenes, and it was completed in Prague in 1944. Käutner was asked to make numerous edits for the propaganda ministry who didn't like this somber tale about extramarital affairs and lower class drunks, had concerns about some lines of song lyrics (e.g. "at some point it will all be over") They had hoped for a movie about the heroes of the sea and celebrating the merchant navy. After a first trial screening in Prague in December 1944 they banned the film. The official German premiere had to wait till September 1945.

The movie features a number of songs, the most famous ones being "Auf der Reeperbahn nachts um halb eins" and, of course, La Paloma:

Also, it turns out the whole movie with nicely restored image/sound and English subtitles is also available on Youtube: https://youtu.be/7WHlwxrugGw

—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2023, 01:07:11 PMYeah but in parallel, TV is better than ever.

Cinema is dying, we are seeing the death rattles.

I think TV peaked in the mid-to-late 2010s, quality has been sliding down, although it's still historically high.

I'm a bit optimistic about movies, since people look like they are finally getting tired from franchises, and there have been hints at the return of the mid-budget movie.

Sheilbh

Yeah totally agree. I think TV's on the slide and I think as with Westerns in the 50s people are getting a little tired/over the big franchises.

I think it's probably all just moving in cycles.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

It'll probably keep going downhill till the dust settles on the current mess around streaming. The million services model isn't sustainable for sure. But which will be the ones to last.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Well, cinema was deemed without future by one of the Lumière brothers, who invented it.  :P

A bit early to judge.  :P

Could not go rewatch Jason and the Argonauts at the Cinémathèque due to a métro problem. :mad:

FunkMonk

Succession tonight was incredible. The scene in the karaoke bar :o

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 02, 2023, 09:17:08 PMSuccession tonight was incredible. The scene in the karaoke bar :o

It's like Jaws, but if everyone in Jaws worked for Jaws.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

I saw Mehdi Hassan saying that scene was exactly like when he was a Sky News producer and Rupert Murdoch decided to do a walk around the newsroom :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!