News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

It's mildly amusing, but pretty weak overall.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on March 27, 2023, 08:48:19 AMWhat happened in the show to deserve such an edgelord-ish comment?

I imagine that they released a blooper tape.  My guess is that Artyom isn't much fun at parties.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Larch on March 27, 2023, 08:48:19 AMWhat happened in the show to deserve such an edgelord-ish comment?

There was. A problem with script. Not enough.  End punctuation marks.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

With the less sentence he really slams it in the back of the net :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on March 27, 2023, 09:11:41 AM

I imagine that they released a blooper tape.  My guess is that Artyom isn't much fun at parties.
I'm sure Artyom would claim to be the best and funnest person at them. A master of fun and wit. Its everyone else who just can't appreciate Artyom's innate awesomesauceness.
PDH!

Savonarola

The Ten Commandments (1956)

I saw this on the big screen.  It's impressive in that format, but you can really spot the processed shots.  The parting of the Red Sea is still impressive; but the Disney animation for the pillar of fire looks lame (he used pyrotechnics in the 1923 version to better effect.)  I had forgotten what a great performance Yul Brynner turned in, and what an awful one John Derek had.  The costuming was phenomenal, I think this may be Edith Head's masterpiece.

I was amused that the credits listed that the Egyptian Cavalry supplied the chariot drivers.  If the Amalekites and Moabites ever act up again Egypt is ready.

The pretentious film critic who gave a short talk before the film said that Anne Baxter was delighted to play against type as the wicked queen Nefretiri; but I think her other most famous role is Eve Harrington from "All About Eve."  Someone should have told her to stick with the Jezebel roles.

He also said that Cecil B. DeMille had cast Charlton Heston as Moses because he bore an uncanny resemblance to Michelangelo's Moses from the tomb of Pope Julius II at San Pietro in Vincoli (minus the horns, of course.)

It's too bad that DeMille couldn't have gotten his fist choices for Pharaoh's daughter and her slave; Joan Crawford and Bette Midler.  Their performance might not have been any better, but backstage was almost guaranteed to be a Hollywood legend.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

I thought the one big hole in the movie was casting Edward G. Robinson.

HVC

I liked the mobster Egyptian Mashup he provided
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2023, 03:58:08 PMI thought the one big hole in the movie was casting Edward G. Robinson.

DeMille cast him because he thought Robinson had been treated unfairly by HUAC and Hollywood during the Red Scare; but, I agree, his performance doesn't really fit into ancient Egypt.  Vincent Price is better if, for no other reason, he gets to be a sadist with a whip - that's a role he could play.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on March 27, 2023, 04:46:32 PMDeMille cast him because he thought Robinson had been treated unfairly by HUAC and Hollywood during the Red Scare; but, I agree, his performance doesn't really fit into ancient Egypt.  Vincent Price is better if, for no other reason, he gets to be a sadist with a whip - that's a role he could play.

I figured there might be a HUAC angle.

Unfairly though?  The movie Trumbo about a screenwriter who goes to jail makes Robinson seem like a sellout.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2023, 04:54:50 PMI figured there might be a HUAC angle.

Unfairly though?  The movie Trumbo about a screenwriter who goes to jail makes Robinson seem like a sellout.

Keep in mind that's DeMille's opinion; he was a ferocioius anti-communist (in fact The Ten Commandments plays like anti-Soviet propaganda at points.)  Robinson did indeed name names, including Dalton Trumbo.

celedhring

So, out of a bout of nostalgia I rewatched both Bill & Ted movies in a row (I probably hadn't watched them since my teenage years). And... they're still pretty great?

Interestingly, this time I liked the second one far more than the first - even though I didn't like it as much when I was a kid. "Dude, hell sucks!".

So, the question is... should I watch the modern sequel?

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on March 28, 2023, 03:36:49 PMSo, out of a bout of nostalgia I rewatched both Bill & Ted movies in a row (I probably hadn't watched them since my teenage years). And... they're still pretty great?

Interestingly, this time I liked the second one far more than the first - even though I didn't like it as much when I was a kid. "Dude, hell sucks!".

So, the question is... should I watch the modern sequel?

If you've never seen it then sure why not. If at least so you're not always wondering.
It's nowhere near as good but not awful awful.
██████
██████
██████