News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on March 13, 2023, 04:39:04 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 13, 2023, 01:34:16 PMIt'd be a shame if they replaced her

Actually, I take it back. I thought I read somewhere that they was, but more fool me for using something I read on the Internet as fact.

Good, she makes the show work.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: celedhring on March 13, 2023, 06:47:32 AMA fun tidbit about the acting Oscars, although I guess it's not very relevant to this discussion, is that at first these awards were not given for a particular performance, but rather rewarded the best actor during the whole year. Back then it was common for actors to act in several movies in a single year.
Nicholas Cage still makes up to six movies a year!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 13, 2023, 06:33:23 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 13, 2023, 06:47:32 AMA fun tidbit about the acting Oscars, although I guess it's not very relevant to this discussion, is that at first these awards were not given for a particular performance, but rather rewarded the best actor during the whole year. Back then it was common for actors to act in several movies in a single year.

I'll never score enough Oscar points in one film so I'll make it up by doing a hundred films!
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Not anymore! Apparently he already paid his debts and is more selective with his roles nowadays. He's "only" done 8 movies since 2020, for instance.  :P

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on March 14, 2023, 04:13:02 AM

I'll never score enough Oscar points in one film so I'll make it up by doing a hundred films!

He already has one, you know  :P

He's got quite the weird career. From critical darling in small indie films, to action star, to Mr. Schlock, and now doing strange artistically ambitious schlocky films.

The Larch

Information about what will possibly be Tarantino's last film, to be shot later this year, has been made public.

QuoteQuentin Tarantino's Final Film Is Coming as Filmmaker Readies 'The Movie Critic'
Sources say the 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' and 'Pulp Fiction' filmmaker has written a script that he is planning on directing this fall.

Quentin Tarantino is back for the last time.

The filmmaker behind some of the most indelible movies of the last three decades, Pulp Fiction and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood among them, is putting together what sources say is being billed as his final movie.

The Movie Critic is the name of the script that Tarantino wrote and is prepping to direct this fall, according to sources.

Logline details are being kept in a suitcase but sources describe the story as being set in late 1970s Los Angeles with a female lead at its center.

It is possible the story focuses on Pauline Kael, one of the most influential movie critics of all time. Kael, who died in 2001, was not just a critic but also an essayist and novelist. She was known for her pugnacious fights with editors as well as filmmakers. In the late 1970s, Kael had a very brief tenure working as a consultant for Paramount, a position she accepted at the behest of actor Warren Beatty. The timing of that Paramount job seems to coincide with the setting of the script — and the filmmaker is known to have a deep respect for Kael, making the odds of her being the subject of the film more likely.

The project does not have a studio home; it could go out to studios or buyers as early as this week, according to sources. One frontrunner could be Sony, where Tarantino has a tight relationship with topper Tom Rothman. Sony distributed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, the filmmaker's in 2019 opus to 1960s moviemaking and also gave him a unique deal in which the copyright reverts to him over time. Hollywood also won two Oscars after nabbing 10 nominations and grossed over $377 million worldwide.

Tarantino has for two decades commanded the ability to attract the most-coveted actors, working with Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt two times each. He directed Christoph Waltz to two Oscar wins. Samuel L. Jackson is a frequent collaborator. If this truly is his final film, he will have no shortage of thespians dropping everything to line up for roles.

The filmmaker has long maintained he had a finite number of movies in him, saying he wanted to direct 10 films or retire by the time he was 60. The writer-director has made nine (if you count the two Kill Bill movies as one) and turns 60 later this month.

He also has espoused a philosophy that directors get out of touch as they age. In 2012, he told Playboy, "I want to stop at a certain point. Directors don't get better as they get older. Usually the worst films in their filmography are those last four at the end. I am all about my filmography, and one bad film f—s up three good ones. I don't want that bad, out-of-touch comedy in my filmography, the movie that makes people think, 'Oh man, he still thinks it's 20 years ago.' When directors get out-of-date, it's not pretty."

Tarantino is one of Hollywood's most celebrated auteurs, obsessed with film history and throwaway genres that tended to operate on the fringes of the industry, such as Spaghetti Westerns, blaxploitation, and chopsocky. But his modern and elevated take on those genres has earned him two Oscar wins for best writing (for Pulp Fiction and Django Unchained), three best directing nominations, and one best picture nomination.

Even though he plans on retiring from filmmaking, he has expressed interest in other creative outlets, noting in interviews that he could direct limited series or plays. In 2021, he published his first novel, a novelization of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Seems like doubling down on the "Once upon a time in Hollywood" formula of nostalgia for old Hollywood, and completely focused on cinema itself. If it is as it's being said (who knows what might and might not be true), I predict bucketloads of Oscars for QT in 2025.

Jacob

Doesn't sound like a subject I'm particularly interested in, but Tarantino is pretty good at what he does so it'll probably be good.

celedhring

A Tarantino movie about Pauline Kael? Now that's interesting. She's a pretty unique figure.

Josquius

Let's see. I've never heard of the woman and with tarantino you never know. He has significantly more good films than bad.
Examining the list he seems to have a pattern of 2 good then bad, and this would be a second good in a row...
██████
██████
██████

HVC

I wonder how many minutes he'll dedicate to feet, since it's his last chance.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 15, 2023, 04:59:04 AMA Tarantino movie about Pauline Kael? Now that's interesting. She's a pretty unique figure.

Apparently Tarantino has named her in the past as a huge influence in his cinema taste and in the development of his style. This is from a 1994 Time article:

QuoteWhen Quentin Tarantino was 15, he saw something on TV that changed his life: Pauline Kael. The New Yorker movie critic was being grilled by Tomorrow host Tom Snyder on her rave review of Philip Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and she refused to back down. "I thought, Who is this wild old woman?" the writer-director of Pulp Fiction recalls, "and soon I was going to the library to find her books. She was as influential as any director was in helping me develop my aesthetic. I never went to film school, but she was the professor in the film school of my mind."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on March 13, 2023, 09:06:09 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2023, 09:03:24 AMAlso really good in Catherine Called Birdy - which I think deserved a bit more attention than it got.

She's been good since game of thrones. And her non binary-ness works well for season 2 if and when that happens.

I thought she was just ugly. :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Ted Lasso Season 3 drops today. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2023, 05:00:43 PMTed Lasso Season 3 drops today. :)

:w00t:

The entire season or just the 1st episode?

HVC

Quote from: The Larch on March 15, 2023, 05:16:02 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2023, 05:00:43 PMTed Lasso Season 3 drops today. :)

:w00t:

The entire season or just the 1st episode?

Just the first, really good episode though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.