News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on November 13, 2022, 06:49:50 PMI haven't finished yet, but I'm not sure what the show makers want me to feel about Diana (if anything). I think I saw 5 episodes and her constant whining about how awful the family has treated her just makes her seem like a spoiled brat. Am I supposed to feel sympathy here?
With Diana - I'm not convinced it's a particularly good performance :ph34r:

It feels more impersonation-y than I think Emma Corrin did or, say, Kristen Stewart (both incredible in my view). It's probably also a problem/more challenging role for the sheer amount of Diana content in recent years.

Edit: And I think Stewart and Corrin were great precisely because of what you say - they were able to be at once slightly insufferable and vulnerable all at once.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sophie Scholl

So. I've been... not in the right headspace to watch movies or shows for basically all of this year. What are the top show and movie I should make sure to get to as a priority? I'm leaning toward Andor over HotD and RoP and maybe... Everything, Everywhere, All at Once for movie? I'm open to suggestions on both though!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Dark Star. Scruffy space crew is on a multi-year mission to blow up planets that pose a threat. John Carpenter's first feature-length movie. These days mostly interesting as an example of where space movies were in the 1970s before Star Wars and Alien, and for spotting how it may have helped influence later stuff. Hyperspace looks kinda Star Wars-y, there's a strong space trucker vibe (even if it's technically a military mission) which hints at Alien... The very perky planet-killer bomb AIs give off Hitchhiker vibes.

There's no budget, which may be best illustrated by the design of the alien.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on November 13, 2022, 11:26:43 PMSo. I've been... not in the right headspace to watch movies or shows for basically all of this year. What are the top show and movie I should make sure to get to as a priority? I'm leaning toward Andor over HotD and RoP and maybe... Everything, Everywhere, All at Once for movie? I'm open to suggestions on both though!

Everything Everywhere... is by far my favorite movie of the year. Also very much a feelgood movie.

Andor is indeed better than those other two shows. HotD is decent-to-good, too.

Zoupa

I'm enjoying "The English", it's on Amazon Prime here. Old school western vibe, great cinematography. Emily Blunt is superb, but she always is.

mongers

Quote from: Zoupa on November 14, 2022, 04:25:26 AMI'm enjoying "The English", it's on Amazon Prime here. Old school western vibe, great cinematography. Emily Blunt is superb, but she always is.

Thanks for the recommendation Zoupa, I'll give it a go.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Gups

Quote from: mongers on November 14, 2022, 08:39:00 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 14, 2022, 04:25:26 AMI'm enjoying "The English", it's on Amazon Prime here. Old school western vibe, great cinematography. Emily Blunt is superb, but she always is.

Thanks for the recommendation Zoupa, I'll give it a go.

On BBC over here. Really enjoyed the first episode. Blunt superb

Admiral Yi

All Quiet on the Western Front seems to have ripped off its aesthetic from Death Krieg of War.

Syt

I still haven't watched it, but it seems to capture the carnage of WW1 battles quite well while doing its own story that's mostly detached from the book and adding additional (unnecessary?) layers, i.e. the quasi-Ludendorff officer and the politicians (the latter, I can only assume, to provide some context for viewers unfamiliar with the period?).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 15, 2022, 02:11:10 AMI still haven't watched it, but it seems to capture the carnage of WW1 battles quite well while doing its own story that's mostly detached from the book and adding additional (unnecessary?) layers, i.e. the quasi-Ludendorff officer and the politicians (the latter, I can only assume, to provide some context for viewers unfamiliar with the period?).

It is a disconnected montage of scenes from the book shuffled together randomly with the added quasi-Luddendorf, all compressed into the last half-week of the war.

Actually I think it reminds me of Lynch's Dune - visually impressive but otherwise made by somebody who had zero interest in the source material. But I don't want to overemphasise the source material thing, if they made a good WW1 movie with the same title but nothing to do with the book I'd still like it. But this is just a bad, bad movie.

Admiral Yi

It's too graphic novelish for me after the hyper realism of SPR.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on November 15, 2022, 05:53:33 AMActually I think it reminds me of Lynch's Dune - visually impressive but otherwise made by somebody who had zero interest in the source material. But I don't want to overemphasise the source material thing, if they made a good WW1 movie with the same title but nothing to do with the book I'd still like it. But this is just a bad, bad movie.

Lynch's Dune has been reevaluated following Villeneuve's dull Dune, so be careful.  :P
I liked the book so I am really wary of this new adaptation.  :hmm: 

Tamas

Villeneuves Dune is amazing, don't be an old grumpy guy.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on November 15, 2022, 06:54:53 AMVilleneuves Dune is amazing, don't be an old grumpy guy.

Ok, boomer.  :D
 :secret:
Grumpy old guys still await Jodorowsky's version.

Amazing?
 :lmfao:

Lynch's Dune is very imperfect yet has its charms, as in lively and over the top.
Villeneuve's is only amazing if compared to current CGI-crapfests and Marvel crap. Sorry for having higher standards.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on November 15, 2022, 06:54:53 AMVilleneuves Dune is amazing, don't be an old grumpy guy.
Both Dunes are great in their own way :goodboy:
Let's bomb Russia!