TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on July 02, 2022, 02:13:41 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 02, 2022, 02:10:39 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 02, 2022, 01:47:23 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 01, 2022, 04:39:15 AMI'm partial to his Russian role. A real fuck yoy to the casting person and director

Which movie is that?

Hunt for Red October probably.

IIRC he played a Lithuanian in that movie.

If putin has taught us anything it's that it all belongs to mother Russia :contract:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josquius on July 01, 2022, 04:56:00 PMDr Strange, Multiverse of Madness - I'm surprised this film came on Disney so fast. It seems just a month ago it was at the cinema.
It's... Meh. OK. But doesn't deliver what the title promises. I expected lots of inceptiony dimension hopping weirdness, instead you just see 3 universes and flashes of others.
Watching it I couldn't help but notice all the zombie stuff going on, said "the guy who made this must love zombie movies"... And sure enough it's Sam Raimi.
Very bloody for a marvel film.
Speaking of which... I liked the cameos from other heroes. Weird they were able to do this here given the legal situation. Could have made more of them though.

What legal situation?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on July 02, 2022, 02:07:50 AMI agree the film is middling, but the last act is really great. I mean, you have the protagonist possess his own dead body, I think that's a first for Marvel movies  :lol:
:lol: Yes - and that felt like a very Raimi-y bit.

Although there's something slightly uncanny about that particular image in the context of Marvel more generally :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Quote from: HVC on July 02, 2022, 08:30:23 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 02, 2022, 02:13:41 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 02, 2022, 02:10:39 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 02, 2022, 01:47:23 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 01, 2022, 04:39:15 AMI'm partial to his Russian role. A real fuck yoy to the casting person and director

Which movie is that?

Hunt for Red October probably.

IIRC he played a Lithuanian in that movie.

If putin has taught us anything it's that it all belongs to mother Russia :contract:

Putin was murdered by Connery's character in that film.  :(

Josquius

Been watching wheel of time finally. 5 eps in.
It's... Meh. OK.
Rosamund Pike- she's like a mashup of the two main women from the LOTR films. Interesting throw back.
The race of the main 5 is an issue as suspected. More so even. Its not just being from an isolated village yet somehow being multiracial. Its that people keep mentioning how Rand (Ayn?) is ginger and this means he's some race and its easy to tell people apart like this. Yet obviously not?
Witch hunter folk I don't get. So they're operating literally right outside the ae sedai city? And the witches are cool with this?
The more fantastical elements tend to look silly. The beastmen were quite daft.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Zero Dark Thirty on Netflix.  Rewatchability is surprisingly high.

Syt

Hm, Gartenbau is showing the first 16 Bond movies (i.e. the ones with Connery, Lazenby, Moore, and Dalton but without the "inofficial" Never Say Never Again) between 22nd July and 7th August.  :hmm:

(It's ca. one movie a day for 16 or 17 days ... not gonna sit through that, tbh :D )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2022, 07:18:05 AMHm, Gartenbau is showing the first 16 Bond movies (i.e. the ones with Connery, Lazenby, Moore, and Dalton but without the "inofficial" Never Say Never Again) between 22nd July and 7th August.  :hmm:

(It's ca. one movie a day for 16 or 17 days ... not gonna sit through that, tbh :D )

It sounds like an awesome summer plan for me.  :lol:

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Syt

I remember that show. The CGI was pretty bad, but it was fun for the time. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2022, 07:54:20 AMI remember that show. The CGI was pretty bad, but it was fun for the time. :)
It was a kids' show in the 1980s.  Pretty advanced for its times. :)

I'd love to see a remake more in the lines of BSG.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on July 04, 2022, 09:21:41 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2022, 07:54:20 AMI remember that show. The CGI was pretty bad, but it was fun for the time. :)

Maybe JMS can remake it once the B5 remake is done :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2022, 09:26:35 AM

He only wrote the final episode, he wasn't the creator of the show, so he does not own any rights to it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on July 04, 2022, 10:47:18 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2022, 09:26:35 AM

He only wrote the final episode, he wasn't the creator of the show, so he does not own any rights to it.

JMS has done lots of work on shows and movies to which he does not have any rights.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!