News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

The new season of Westworld is on HBO - two episodes in, and I am not sure yet if it is up to season 1 material or just pumping the IP for every last cent.

Eddie Teach

Troy: Fall of a City. Or The Titties That Launched a Thousand Ships. Pretty solid retelling, hits most of the spots I remember. (The exception being they don't show a goddess guiding Paris when he shoots Achilles in the heel.) Agamemnon is a right cunt, isn't he.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on July 04, 2022, 07:26:40 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2022, 07:18:05 AMHm, Gartenbau is showing the first 16 Bond movies (i.e. the ones with Connery, Lazenby, Moore, and Dalton but without the "inofficial" Never Say Never Again) between 22nd July and 7th August.  :hmm:

(It's ca. one movie a day for 16 or 17 days ... not gonna sit through that, tbh :D )

It sounds like an awesome summer plan for me.  :lol:

Had a Bond retrospective some years ago in a cinema that tried to go the classic route. Too many to watch and I am not a great fan of Bond, so I ended up watching mostly the Moore self-parodic ones, a couple Connery plus both Dalton and Brosnan ones. Ended up revising my judgment on Brosnan (last one with the switch to CGI stunts was awful though), thanks to the new wooden Craig.  :P

viper37

Not wooden.  Phlegmatic.  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on July 05, 2022, 02:03:52 PMNot wooden.  Phlegmatic.  :P

That's too much emotion and acting to handle for him.  :P

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on July 05, 2022, 02:14:22 PMA delightful review of Top Gun: Maverick.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/07/top-gun-maverick-tom-cruise-us-military/661472/

Still doesn't make me want to see another Tom Cruise movie, but I'll grant that it is a fun review.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I've been breezing through the first 3 and a half seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I just finished the "Mac and Charlie Die" two parter.

Normally I don't like shows with entirely unlikable characters without redeeming qualities (I thought that's why Arrested Development didn't work for me). I'm also usually not much into overly gross/crass humor and premises (but did enjoy Peep Show a lot). Yet somehow this show is hilarious to me. It probably helps that the gang always get their comeuppance at the end and their shenanigans never benefit them, in the end.

It may sound weird, but it feels (at least the 3 and a half season I've watched) like something that would be on British TV, along the lines of Peep Show, Bottom, Chewin' the Fat and similar, not US TV, if that makes any sense?

Also, Mac's mom? Reminds me way too much of my mom (not really enthusiasitic about anything, permanently smoking while glued to the TV). :ph34r:

Anyways, looking forward tot he next 10 or so seasons to catch up on. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Finally watched Elvis. Loved it  :)

As usual, Luhrmann tackles every scene at 200 miles per hour - his filler scenes would be the climaxes of other, lesser, movies  :lol:  Of course, It doesn't always work, but when it does it's simply exhilarating. I thought Butler was fantastic in conveying Elvis' onstage energy, btw, without that this movie falls completely flat. I was less enthused by Hanks' colonel, but I think that's because he's written a bit too cartoonishly.

I had a similar feeling than when watching The Great Gatsby, which is that the movie gains steam once it becomes more dramatic in the second half.

Darth Wagtaros

Only Murders in the Building second season has been good thus far.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Any Poms watch/watched "Outnumbered?"

Clips started sprouting on my Youtube and I'm quite enjoying.  Especially that freak of nature Ramona Marquez.

Maybe a touch repetitive though.

I'm trying to make it through "Against The Ice" on Netflix.  Jaimie Lannister wants to prove that a chunk of Greenland is not separated by water from the rest, so the evil Americans don't claim it (WTF????).  Tywin Lannister pooh poohs a rescue expedition back in Copenhagen.  Could really use some pace.

Admiral Yi

bogh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2022, 05:45:13 PMI'm trying to make it through "Against The Ice" on Netflix.  Jaimie Lannister wants to prove that a chunk of Greenland is not separated by water from the rest, so the evil Americans don't claim it (WTF????).  Tywin Lannister pooh poohs a rescue expedition back in Copenhagen.  Could really use some pace.

Apparently it's a true story, though I had never heard of it. Coster-Waldau is married to a Greenlander IIRC so it's probably extra meaningful to him. Sounds pretty dull.

The Larch

The first reviews point to "Thor: Love and Thunder" being a dissapointment.  :(

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2022, 05:45:13 PMAny Poms watch/watched "Outnumbered?"

Clips started sprouting on my Youtube and I'm quite enjoying.  Especially that freak of nature Ramona Marquez.

Maybe a touch repetitive though.

I'm trying to make it through "Against The Ice" on Netflix.  Jaimie Lannister wants to prove that a chunk of Greenland is not separated by water from the rest, so the evil Americans don't claim it (WTF????).  Tywin Lannister pooh poohs a rescue expedition back in Copenhagen.  Could really use some pace.

I really liked that movie.

Well, you guys were trying to claim everything back then, so yeah.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.