News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2022, 04:08:57 AMThat's the thing with The Untouchables - I think he is trying to do an Irish one :ph34r:

The best part is that he got an Oscar for it  :lol:

I mean, probably a feelgood Oscar since IIRC this film kickstarted his late career revival. He had made a bunch of interesting films in the 1970s, but he had failed to get post-Bond hits.

celedhring

Thinking on what would be my favorite non-Bond Connery role... either The Man Who Would Be King or The Name of the Rose.

Sheilbh

He's terrific in The Name of the Rose (as an Englishman :lol:).
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

I'm partial to his Russian role. A real fuck yoy to the casting person and director
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Threviel

Quote from: mongers on July 01, 2022, 05:47:04 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 01, 2022, 03:43:21 AMTried to watch The Man From Toronto.  Mistaken identity, Buddy Harrelson is the expert interogator for criminal hire, Kevin Hart doing Kevin Hart.  Gave up.

Ditto.

Watched the trailer, seems like a bad re-make of If looks could kill.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on July 01, 2022, 04:26:09 AMThinking on what would be my favorite non-Bond Connery role... either The Man Who Would Be King or The Name of the Rose.

Last Crusade?

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on July 01, 2022, 02:30:59 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 01, 2022, 04:26:09 AMThinking on what would be my favorite non-Bond Connery role... either The Man Who Would Be King or The Name of the Rose.

Last Crusade?

He slays that role, but I give the edge to King/Rose because he's the lead in those films.

Spielberg had the good sense of having him play a Scot, for a change.  :P

Josquius

Dr Strange, Multiverse of Madness - I'm surprised this film came on Disney so fast. It seems just a month ago it was at the cinema.
It's... Meh. OK. But doesn't deliver what the title promises. I expected lots of inceptiony dimension hopping weirdness, instead you just see 3 universes and flashes of others.
Watching it I couldn't help but notice all the zombie stuff going on, said "the guy who made this must love zombie movies"... And sure enough it's Sam Raimi.
Very bloody for a marvel film.
Speaking of which... I liked the cameos from other heroes. Weird they were able to do this here given the legal situation. Could have made more of them though.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

It is very meh - I mean it's a bit more Sam Raimi-y than I expected for Marvel which is a good thing. But still...
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on July 01, 2022, 02:54:57 PM

Last Crusade?

He slays that role, but I give the edge to King/Rose because he's the lead in those films.

I thought Jones was a Welsh name.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 01, 2022, 05:48:53 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 01, 2022, 02:54:57 PM

Last Crusade?

I thought Jones was a Welsh name.

The name originated in Wales but Wales is only the place where it is most commonly found; it appears in many other countries.  I know a Jones who, as far as he knows, has no Welsh ancestry at all.  It's all English.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on July 01, 2022, 04:39:15 AMI'm partial to his Russian role. A real fuck yoy to the casting person and director

Which movie is that?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2022, 05:24:17 PMIt is very meh - I mean it's a bit more Sam Raimi-y than I expected for Marvel which is a good thing. But still...

I agree the film is middling, but the last act is really great. I mean, you have the protagonist possess his own dead body, I think that's a first for Marvel movies  :lol:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on July 02, 2022, 01:47:23 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 01, 2022, 04:39:15 AMI'm partial to his Russian role. A real fuck yoy to the casting person and director

Which movie is that?

Hunt for Red October probably.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 02, 2022, 02:10:39 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 02, 2022, 01:47:23 AM

Which movie is that?

Hunt for Red October probably.

IIRC he played a Lithuanian in that movie.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.