News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 25, 2022, 06:43:34 PMElvis. Absolutely terrific film. I think you probably need to like Baz Luhrman films, which I do, because it is magnificently Baz Luhrman - all of the traits of his films are very turned up here. I love Baz Luhrman so I am particularly susceptible to this film :lol:

I don't think I'm alone in not having really got Elvis - I think he's lost a bit of his place in the culture because of the Vegas years and the Nixon photo etc. For me - shows that power and why Elvis mattered even if I've perhaps been a little clouded by the capes years.

Austin Butler is really good and I think his performance gives you the sense of electric, raw energy about him and how dangerous he was. It's an incredibly charismatic turn. Tom Hanks is great as you'd expect as basically Salieri narrating the story - and making us a little bit his accomplices.

Elvis's daughter said that it was only in the middle of the second song that she realized that it wasn't her father singing those songs.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

The review on NPR referred to the frequent crotch zooms.

Sheilbh

Yeah - that's basically all in the first bit. And it's very Baz Luhrman - zooms, pans up from the floor, rotating the camera and then a cut to a girl's face either still biting her lips trying to restrain herself or just screaming. It's great.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Sounds like my wife will love it  :lol:

I also enjoy Baz films so I think I'll like it too.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on June 25, 2022, 02:39:58 AMThe new orville series is on Disney plus.
I like the first 2. But just cant get into this... 😔

Same, it's become more TNG the early years and a lot less Strange New Worlds.

With SNW to watch this has gone into the "if I have time" pile

Sheilbh

Also Everything Everywhere All At Once was great.

I loved the trailer but it's one of those films where I slightly wish I hadn't really heard much about it.

But it's really deserves the hype - Michelle Yeoh is always worth it but I really enjoyed her in this. And I think the comparison with the new Dr Strange is really striking - and if you only see one multi-verse film this year it should definitely be this one.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2022, 11:37:25 AMAlso Everything Everywhere All At Once was great.

I loved the trailer but it's one of those films where I slightly wish I hadn't really heard much about it.

But it's really deserves the hype - Michelle Yeoh is always worth it but I really enjoyed her in this. And I think the comparison with the new Dr Strange is really striking - and if you only see one multi-verse film this year it should definitely be this one.

I went in knowing almost nothing and loved it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I liked the latest Orville episode; it was a step up from the last two. Though it feels odd that Strange New Worlds is now a more lighthearted show than Orville which is a lot more serious this season, and I'm not sure they carry that look well.

I really enjoyed the depiction of the Krill homeworld. It felt a bit as if the Coruscant night club district from Star Wars Ep. 2 was run by Dark Elves. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Btw, I did NOT recognize Bruce Boxleitner as Pres. Alcuzan of the Federation Union in the latest episode. :lol:

And every time I see Scott Grimes I can't help but see Malarkey from Band of Brothers (even though he probably is better known for his voice acting on e.g. American Dad).

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

In my head, I refer to his character has Malarkey.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

New season on umbrella academy is good. Has some great absurd scenes too.

I present to you: footloose dance off

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2022, 11:37:25 AMMichelle Yeoh is always worth it...

We had her in Sleeping Dogs. I recorded and directed her (or rather, let her direct herself). She was absolutely great.

Then after I left the project, some idiot cut her and replaced her with a generic Hollywood bit actor, turning that character into a 2-D bit of cardboard. One of my top regrets for that project.

One of the few actors I allow myself to be starstruck by.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2022, 11:42:23 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2022, 11:37:25 AMMichelle Yeoh is always worth it...

We had her in Sleeping Dogs. I recorded and directed her (or rather, let her direct herself). She was absolutely great.

Then after I left the project, some idiot cut her and replaced her with a generic Hollywood bit actor, turning that character into a 2-D bit of cardboard. One of my top regrets for that project.

:o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2022, 11:42:23 AMWe had her in Sleeping Dogs. I recorded and directed her (or rather, let her direct herself). She was absolutely great.

:o :weep:

Why would you do that!? :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2022, 11:55:59 AM
Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2022, 11:42:23 AMWe had her in Sleeping Dogs. I recorded and directed her (or rather, let her direct herself). She was absolutely great.

:o :weep:

Why would you do that!? :blink:

My theory -

In the chaos of shipping there was some sort of minor change that required additional audio. There was no way to get a pick-up session (cost/ logistics/ her schedule). At that time there was no one in the organization with the combination of creative understanding and organizational pull to improvise a solution that kept her (i.e. recut/repurpose existing lines, reframe the changes, and/or push sufficiently against the changes that were made such that recut lines are sufficient).

So in the heat of the moment of shipping, quick decisions had to be made to get the game out the door and it was easier for someone to line up a Hollywood bit actor for a full re-record than to do the work to make the existing audio/mocap work with whatever last minute changes were being implemented.

That's just a theory though. I wasn't there at that point. It could be some other reason. But if I'd been I would've done everything to prevent that from happening (that and use more of the Emma Stone content we recorded).

Alas  :(