News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 13, 2022, 06:14:58 PMOnce Upon a Time in America. Ugh. If you're going to wallow in sentimentality, at least do it for a likeable character.

I loved that flick.  You have to see Leone's cut, though.  The butchered version released in the US lacks all of the style and almost all of the substance of Leone's film.

Yeah, Noodles isn't a very sympathetic character, but Leone's point was that all of the gang were emotional cripples.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2022, 11:31:29 AMOh jeez, so many thoughts about that stupid movie.  I forgot that the final dino sanctuary was set in - the Italian Dolomites?

I mean come on.  We had a whole mini-Languish meet-up in Cortina near the Dolomites (Shoot-out to RH, Tamas, Ank, Leo, and I feel like I'm forgetting someone).  A really pretty part of the world - but also really crowded.  No way they just let whole crowds of dinos just live there.  Also the wilderness shots (other than the mountains themselves) looked nothing like the Dolomites, between having a frozen lake, but also a tropical rainforest all in the same area.

A chunk of it was filmed in Malta--judging by the trailer, a big chase scene through narrow streets-- but I heard it's shit, so didn't watch.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on June 14, 2022, 06:31:23 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2022, 11:31:29 AMOh jeez, so many thoughts about that stupid movie.  I forgot that the final dino sanctuary was set in - the Italian Dolomites?

I mean come on.  We had a whole mini-Languish meet-up in Cortina near the Dolomites (Shoot-out to RH, Tamas, Ank, Leo, and I feel like I'm forgetting someone).  A really pretty part of the world - but also really crowded.  No way they just let whole crowds of dinos just live there.  Also the wilderness shots (other than the mountains themselves) looked nothing like the Dolomites, between having a frozen lake, but also a tropical rainforest all in the same area.

A chunk of it was filmed in Malta--judging by the trailer, a big chase scene through narrow streets-- but I heard it's shit, so didn't watch.

I also noticed that in the trailer. I was all "Wait, I know that city!" when I saw Chris Pratt riding his bike all over Valletta.  :lol:

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on June 14, 2022, 06:31:23 AM

Yes, there is a big action set piece in Malta.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

I wasn't crazy for the other two Jurassic World movies (and for all JP sequels for that matter), so this one will wait until it hits some streaming platform.

CountDeMoney

Phillip Baker Hall passed away at age 90.
Pounded out a ton of television from MASH to Modern Family over 50 years, and was a regular in Paul Thomas Anderson films.

And who can forget Detective Bookman, New York Public Library

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

:hmm:

https://deadline.com/2022/06/batman-azteca-hbo-max-orders-animated-feature-mexico-1235044624/

QuoteIn the time of the Aztec Empire, Yohualli Coatl — a young Aztec boy — experiences tragedy when his father and village leader, Toltecatzin, is murdered by Spanish Conquistadors. Yohualli escapes to Tenochtitlan to warn King Moctezuma and his high priest, Yoka, of imminent danger. Using the temple of Tzinacan, the bat god, as a lair, Yohualli trains with his mentor and assistant, Acatzin, developing equipment and weaponry to confront the Spaniard invasion, protect Moctezuma's temple, and avenge his father's death.

The Larch

Will we get a Conquistador Joker?

The Brain

Ah yes, a hero who targets Hispanics for punishment. Slightly old-fashioned.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

There's apparently a Barbie movie in the works, with Margot Robbie playing Barbie and Ryan Gosling as Ken.

The pictures are... wow.

I really hope that the soundtrack features the Aqua song.

HVC

Ryan kind of looks like that guy that goes clubbing and hits on women way to young for him.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Yeah, it instantly reminded me of the video for Barbie Girl  :lol:

For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on June 15, 2022, 11:23:43 AMYeah, it instantly reminded me of the video for Barbie Girl  :lol:

For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A

You can embeb the video.  :ph34r:

viper37

"A big chase through narrow streets" is about any action movie shot in Europe :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.