And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on June 09, 2022, 10:38:13 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 09, 2022, 09:54:23 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 07, 2022, 07:31:14 PMAn authentic movie about the Commanche that stars... a female warrior? 
It is authentically made by at least some Commanche!

I know very little about the Commanche. Is having a female Commanche warrior particularly beyond the realm of realism?

Yes.  The Commanche were very warfare-oriented and their men were organized into warrior societies.  Women were not allowed into those societies.

Maybe the blurb is just using the term "warrior" in a more generic sense, though, as in "one who fights." I'll withdraw my objection pending further information.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Didn't some Indian* tribes let women basically live as a man?

*yes, I know
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

There is evidence that a number of Indigenous communities had female hunters.  I am not sure what you mean by live as a man.  But Grumbler is correct to identify the practices of this particular group since there is no such thing as a homogeneous practice.

Cultural practices and  spiritual beliefs varied significantly-perhaps more than on the Eurasian continent.

celedhring

Christ, I just realized this is about another Predator movie. I hoped they had given up on those, only the first one is any good. :yawn:

Anyway regarding the discussion at hand, the trailer seems to imply the girl goes against societal norm.

Sheilbh

Ooooh cyber-Threads (hopefully):
https://twitter.com/Channel4/status/1535351095337242624?s=20&t=OX3h570mZ9gj94wRfBUv3w

I always slightly struggle seeing Simon Pegg in serious roles (he's less further along the Olivia Colman pipeline for me).
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 09, 2022, 11:57:31 AMDidn't some Indian* tribes let women basically live as a man?

*yes, I know

Saw an article a while ago about a Pashtun woman who is/ was an elder, a warrior, and fully accepted in Taliban territory doing just that - presenting as a man and acting according to those social expectations, though everyone knew she's biologically a woman.

Fascinating stuff.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Jacob on June 10, 2022, 05:00:48 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 09, 2022, 11:57:31 AMDidn't some Indian* tribes let women basically live as a man?

*yes, I know

Saw an article a while ago about a Pashtun woman who is/ was an elder, a warrior, and fully accepted in Taliban territory doing just that - presenting as a man and acting according to those social expectations, though everyone knew she's biologically a woman.

Fascinating stuff.
Not Native American though, in this case.
PDH!

Syt

The Orville, S3, Ep. 2: Shadow Realms.

This would have been a great Halloween episode. It's nowhere near as good as last week's outing, IMHO.

The Orville encounters a Daedric ruin in space and cheesy horror clichés ensue. The episode was co-written by Brannon Braga, and it involves genetics/DNA, a combination that brought us Star Trek TNG's Genesis, and ST Voyager's Macrocosm and - infamously - Threshold. Switching off the critical thinking part of your brain is advised.

Once you do that, it's a decent action/horror episode, even though it doesn't do anything new or innovative with the concepts and is not exactly subverting expectations much.

Minor spoiler: I thought the creature design was quite decent considering it's just "man in suit". Some fine looking transitional effects/body horror, too.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Just struck me that the same dude played Charles in The Queen as played Edward VIII in The Crown.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 05, 2022, 09:12:51 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 11, 2022, 08:30:34 PMWe Own This City is playing on HBO.  Ah, the BPD.  Reputation:  warranted.

Watching this now.

This the real deal?

Ahhhhyup.

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 12, 2022, 07:38:21 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on June 05, 2022, 09:12:51 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 11, 2022, 08:30:34 PMWe Own This City is playing on HBO.  Ah, the BPD.  Reputation:  warranted.

Watching this now.

This the real deal?

Ahhhhyup.

Shiieeeeet.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Barrister

Mrs B was out of town for the weekend, so I wanted to do something with my boys.  Wound up going to see Jurassic World: Dominion.  Pretty much the first movie we've seen in the theatre for two years.*

I didn't care for it.

It gave me a strong Rise of Skywalker vibe: a legacy sequel, they had no idea how to end it.  So lets bring in a whole new Big Bad, but let's also bring in all the heroes from the first movie too.  And while I appreciate they didn't just invent new dinos (even with a quip about it), let's just bring in every cool dino that hasn't been in any of the prior 5 movies without explanation (Gigantosaurus and Therazenosaurus).

I also feel mixed - it seems obvious the producers realized that all of the characters where white, so they introduced two POC main characters.  They're not wrong to do so, but they seemed like they had no clear character arcs - both were introduced as bad guys, but then switched to being good guys with very little explanation.

Finally - was the big bad guy very clearly inspired by Tim Cook?

* We went in with a couple of other families during the pandemic, rented a theatre for super cheap, and watched ET the Extra-Terrestrial. It was a fun and felt safe.  But that's been it for movies until now.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Oh jeez, so many thoughts about that stupid movie.  I forgot that the final dino sanctuary was set in - the Italian Dolomites?

I mean come on.  We had a whole mini-Languish meet-up in Cortina near the Dolomites (Shoot-out to RH, Tamas, Ank, Leo, and I feel like I'm forgetting someone).  A really pretty part of the world - but also really crowded.  No way they just let whole crowds of dinos just live there.  Also the wilderness shots (other than the mountains themselves) looked nothing like the Dolomites, between having a frozen lake, but also a tropical rainforest all in the same area.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

*deleted
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.