News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2022, 11:31:29 AMOh jeez, so many thoughts about that stupid movie.
I kinda see a pattern here.  #1, very good, entertaining movie.  #2, semi-decent sequel.  #3 bad idea of a movie, like they had no idea what they were doing.  Repeat the cycle.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Oh, and part of the plot involves the Tim Cook-esque bad guy bioengineering some supersized Cretaceous-era giant locusts that eat all the crops that aren't from his own company's seeds.  Hey I have no problem with big bad corporate supervillains, but that's just cartoonish supervillainy right there that gets spotted within seconds by the Laura Dern character.

Seriously - you're making a movie with living dinosaurs - why does the plot have to be so convoluted and stupid?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Solo. Kinda meh, but one good thing was that SPOILER: Khaleesi betrayed him.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2022, 11:26:26 AMFinally - was the big bad guy very clearly inspired by Tim Cook?

Well, it was the Apple Macintosh Quadtra towers in the original movie that Neuman programmed to crash the system, you know. 

So, continuity.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 13, 2022, 01:21:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2022, 11:26:26 AMFinally - was the big bad guy very clearly inspired by Tim Cook?

Well, it was the Apple Macintosh Quadtra towers in the original movie that Neuman programmed to crash the system, you know. 

So, continuity.

LOL - you just made me realize that the original Jurassic Park is so old that it even pre-dates Steve Jobs coming back to Apple!  Never mind that Tim Cook hadn't even joined Apple yet.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2022, 01:24:16 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 13, 2022, 01:21:18 PM

So, continuity.

LOL - you just made me realize that the original Jurassic Park is so old that it even pre-dates Steve Jobs coming back to Apple!  Never mind that Tim Cook hadn't even joined Apple yet.

Maybe the big bad corporate supervillain...is the corporation.  :ph34r: :TimApple:

Barrister

Just in case you thought I was kidding about the baddie being a Tim Cook-clone...

Here's Lewis Dodgson, the main bad guy from Jurassic World: Dominion

And here's Tim Cook

And I swear I didn't pick the pictures deliberately that they were making the same hand gesture!

HVC

It's cooks fault for ripping off Mr Burns.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Who was the tech mogul on Don't Look Up supposed to be?  I'm figuring a mix of Dyson and Zuck.

FunkMonk

Rian Johnson posted today on Twitter that a new Knives Out movie is coming out on Netflix later this year.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1536378456153260033
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

:w00t: Hopefully it'll get a cinema release too (I imagine it will).
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2022, 03:17:58 PM:w00t: Hopefully it'll get a cinema release too (I imagine it will).

I believe it will.

Knives Out was great - I have good hopes for this one.

celedhring

First one was a riot. Really looking forward to the next ones, IIRC he's contracted for two sequels.

Eddie Teach

Once Upon a Time in America. Ugh. If you're going to wallow in sentimentality, at least do it for a likeable character.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I like to wallow.  Sometimes I roll around on my bed saying, "Wallow! Wallow! Wallow! Wallow!" and pretend I'm a pig.  One of those wallowing pigs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017