News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Tried watching The Dirt, about Motley Crue, on the recommendation of my bartender buddy at the gay karaoke.  Gave up after 40 minutes.

Watching Vice, about Dick Cheney.  It's not very gripping.  Don't think I'll last the course.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on June 15, 2022, 10:03:03 AM:hmm:

https://deadline.com/2022/06/batman-azteca-hbo-max-orders-animated-feature-mexico-1235044624/

QuoteIn the time of the Aztec Empire, Yohualli Coatl — a young Aztec boy — experiences tragedy when his father and village leader, Toltecatzin, is murdered by Spanish Conquistadors. Yohualli escapes to Tenochtitlan to warn King Moctezuma and his high priest, Yoka, of imminent danger. Using the temple of Tzinacan, the bat god, as a lair, Yohualli trains with his mentor and assistant, Acatzin, developing equipment and weaponry to confront the Spaniard invasion, protect Moctezuma's temple, and avenge his father's death.

I wonder how it ends

mongers

'Hustle' an OK Adam Sandler film. :gasp:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Oh good - social anxiety comedy-horror(?) :hmm: :ph34r:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmYyb7Jx0PY

Looks good though. I will watch it and then have a panic attack about all my friends and acquaintances :)
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on June 15, 2022, 03:37:35 PM'Hustle' an OK Adam Sandler film. :gasp:

I am looking forward to carving some time out to watch this.  I have heard a lot of good things about it.

celedhring

Oh wait, so the Barbie movie is written and directed by Greta Gerwig? Now it's a must-see  :D

Sheilbh

Oh wow. Yes I'm very interested now :huh:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on June 16, 2022, 02:11:36 AMOh wait, so the Barbie movie is written and directed by Greta Gerwig? Now it's a must-see  :D

Yeah, and it has quite the cast as well. Besides Robbie and Gosling there's also Will Ferrell (playing Mattel's CEO), Michael Cera, America Ferrara, Kate McKinnon, Rhea Perlman... plus a bunch of other versions of Barbie & Ken.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 15, 2022, 07:30:19 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 15, 2022, 03:37:35 PM'Hustle' an OK Adam Sandler film. :gasp:

I am looking forward to carving some time out to watch this.  I have heard a lot of good things about it.

CC, definitely worth a viewing.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Gave up on Vice too, watched Operation Mincemeat.

British op to float a corpse ashore in Spain with documents suggesting Greece was invasion target, not Sicily.

Meh +.  Nice cast*, nice production values.  Script not great, especially in the romantic plot line.  And they certainly overcooked the importance of the operation IMO.  Nothing I've read suggests that Allied deception had any material effect on the Sicily invasion, in contrast to Normandy.

*Maybe I've mentioned this before, but it does seem like there are about 40 character actors total who cycle endlessly through every single British movie made.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 16, 2022, 09:26:54 AMGave up on Vice too, watched Operation Mincemeat.

British op to float a corpse ashore in Spain with documents suggesting Greece was invasion target, not Sicily.

Meh +.  Nice cast*, nice production values.  Script not great, especially in the romantic plot line.  And they certainly overcooked the importance of the operation IMO.  Nothing I've read suggests that Allied deception had any material effect on the Sicily invasion, in contrast to Normandy.

*Maybe I've mentioned this before, but it does seem like there are about 40 character actors total who cycle endlessly through every single British movie made.
Didn't the ally use the exact same tactic for the invasion of Normandy?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

That's my understanding.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 16, 2022, 09:29:24 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 16, 2022, 09:26:54 AMGave up on Vice too, watched Operation Mincemeat.

Didn't the ally use the exact same tactic for the invasion of Normandy?

No, Mincemeat was the attempt to divert attention from Sicily, and it worked.  The Germans reinforced Greece and not Sicily. 

The rue for Normandy was Operation Quicksilver, the creation of the fake First US Army Group under Patton.  It convinced the Germans that the Allies would invade at the Pas de Calais after staging a diversionary landing in Normandy.

Mincemeat was the one with the dead body floated ashore.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 15, 2022, 07:30:19 PM

It's good. And full of NBA players cameo & roles.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Romantic plotline? Dude's a corpse, right?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.