And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on September 06, 2020, 09:37:45 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 06, 2020, 03:07:59 AM
OK, so Cobra Kai is just another teen movie.

Stayed up late and watched to the end of season 1 last night.

it did feel very formulaic

I think in this particular case, that was ok.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 06, 2020, 10:00:14 AM

As I said, I think that ending was where it had to go, so yes it was "ok".  But not as funny or interesting as what had gone on before.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on September 06, 2020, 09:45:23 AM
Finished Peep Show, loved every bit of it, even though some throughlines (like the unwantedly escalating relationship with Sophie) fall a bit by the wayside by the end. Though I appreciated that our Byzantium-loving Spellus made an appearance in the final series. :P

I generally like absurdly escalating comedies (hence my taste for Graham Linehan's Father Ted, IT Crowd, and Black Books). I have to admit, though, that some episodes gave me a fair bit of anxiety because I recognized myself far too much in Mark and some of the situations he was in, plus I had some friends in my early to mid 20s with whom a quite similar dynamic as he does with Jez and Super Hans (except none lived in my place).

Definitely a show I will rewatch now and then.

Best episode?

I still have an odd love for the one where Mark follows the shoe shop girl to university.

The one with the racist friend makes for uncomfortable viewing post-brexit. Clearly highlights its from a bygone era and makes me feel old.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on September 06, 2020, 02:25:55 AM
I was surprised to learn that Trolls 2 made gangbusters business when it was released for a 20$ rental price too, I guess you can't subestimate the power of children and desperate parents.
It's the old meme. Me talking to parents of toddlers about how I've spent my time in lockdown getting into sourdought baking, reading a lot and actually using my Mubi account:
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 06, 2020, 04:23:43 AM
If he's making the point that the teen drama is the weak point of the series, I completely agree.  :P

I second that.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Bad news guys, there is more teen drama in season 2.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 06, 2020, 11:16:53 AM

Indeed.  Dialed up to 50.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on September 06, 2020, 10:31:29 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 06, 2020, 10:00:14 AM

As I said, I think that ending was where it had to go, so yes it was "ok".  But not as funny or interesting as what had gone on before.

In fact, I am going to go even further and say [spoiler]that is was necessary, and would have been a letdown without it.  In fact, if Johnny's student didn't win, it could not have been worse.  But also on the formulaic point...I almost expect S3 to probably have Daniel teaching Johnny Miyagi-do karate.  It would be totally predictable, and I would be totally ok with it.  [/spoiler]

11B4V

Already seen S2, waiting on S3
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Well as much as I am more into the middle-age drama than I am teen drama, that clearly is where the show has to go so I am at peace with that. Still I think the series may have peaked at the episode 9 rapprochement between Johnny and Daniel - that was damn funny.

Bring on season 2 (and 3!)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on September 06, 2020, 10:38:25 AM
Best episode?

I still have an odd love for the one where Mark follows the shoe shop girl to university.

The one with the racist friend makes for uncomfortable viewing post-brexit. Clearly highlights its from a bygone era and makes me feel old.

So many good ones. I think the Christmas episode stands out especially to me. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Watching Young Wallander for want of anything else to have as background TV. It's not great - it's alright. It creaks a bit.

I also feel like the cast is quite good but they kind of missed a trick by making it modern and contemporary. I feel like a Deutschland 83 or Life on Mars (etc) style series set in 70s/80s Malmo would've been a far more interesting and distinctive show. As it is it's just a below average crime drama <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

There's so many average crime dramas you could be watching instead.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 06, 2020, 02:24:14 PM
There's so many average crime dramas you could be watching instead.
I mean it is background TV. But honestly I've probably watched most of them :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I got to the breakfast scene in Cobra.  Pretty funny.