News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

We were discussing Cobra Kai in some other thread, but I can't figure out which one, and this is where it more properly discussed.

This show is far better than it has any right to be.  What got me is watching an episode last night - Daniel (as you knew he would) takes it upon himself to teach karate to a new student.  In what lesser writers could have easily milked for an entire episode or more, they do the whole "wax on, wax off" training technique in a 30 second voiceless montage.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Yeah, the show's a riot. Nostalgia done right.

I love how Johnny Lawrence is an asshole teacher, but they clearly convey he's not an asshole himself but rather it's all he has known and thus can't do any better.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on September 04, 2020, 10:49:38 AM
We were discussing Cobra Kai in some other thread, but I can't figure out which one, and this is where it more properly discussed.

This show is far better than it has any right to be.  What got me is watching an episode last night - Daniel (as you knew he would) takes it upon himself to teach karate to a new student.  In what lesser writers could have easily milked for an entire episode or more, they do the whole "wax on, wax off" training technique in a 30 second voiceless montage.

(From what I said in that other thread...)

I think Cobra Kai is really working the nostalgia thing well because it seems to have total buy-in from all the main players from the original movie (with Elisabeth Shue apparently going to be in Season 3).

I think the parts with Daniel/Johnny are strong (and Zabka brilliantly plays the strangely endearing luddite/curmudgeon role) ...the parts with their kids?  Very meh...though one must concede that Miguel is very much a key character.

Though I think Kreese is borderline ridiculous...pretty much played as the devil incarnate...but also likely to be vital to Johnny's further character path (likely a road to redemption kinda thing).

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 04, 2020, 11:11:10 AM
Though I think Kreese is borderline ridiculous...pretty much played as the devil incarnate...but also likely to be vital to Johnny's further character path (likely a road to redemption kinda thing).

I wondered what that actor was up to and why he wasn't in this show... only to quickly find out he is.  Curious to see how Kreese figures in to all of this.

11B4V

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 04, 2020, 11:11:10 AM

(From what I said in that other thread...)

I think Cobra Kai is really working the nostalgia thing well because it seems to have total buy-in from all the main players from the original movie (with Elisabeth Shue apparently going to be in Season 3).

I think the parts with Daniel/Johnny are strong (and Zabka brilliantly plays the strangely endearing luddite/curmudgeon role) ...the parts with their kids?  Very meh...though one must concede that Miguel is very much a key character.

Great show
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Enter the scene with Miguel asking Johnny how the windows should be washed.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Howards End. I've been meaning to see this one for years but didn't get around to it until now. It's quite lovely. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: 11B4V on September 04, 2020, 01:39:21 PM

Enter the scene with Miguel asking Johnny how the windows should be washed.  :lol:

"Hey do you want me to wash these windows in any particular way?"

"Nah I don't give a shit; whatever gets 'em clean."

:D

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on September 04, 2020, 02:09:08 PM
Howards End. I've been meaning to see this one for years but didn't get around to it until now. It's quite lovely. :)

Favorite Merchant Ivory film alongside Room with a View and Remains of the Day.  :)

Josquius

Marellous - surprisingly good film. Basically the story of a real world Forest Gump. A disabled guy who just somehow gets to know important people and get by in life just fine.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Anyone watching Raised by Wolves?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Is that 96 year old Ed Asner in Cobra Kai?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 04, 2020, 10:49:08 PM
Is that 96 year old Ed Asner in Cobra Kai?

Yes.  I didn't know he was still alive.

Eddie Teach

Weird that you googled his age but not whether he was in the show.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I guessed based on how he looks.

I'd say for real, 88.