And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on August 25, 2020, 04:11:43 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 25, 2020, 01:56:05 AM
Caught up on QI (thanks, YouTube), and have started watching Peep Show with Mitchell and Webb. Is it bad if I recognize too much of myself in David Micthell's character? :unsure:
Me too :blush:
"I'm not a freak. I'm a normal person!"

Must be said when rewatching it's quite sad to realise how old it now is.

When a book you have on your shelf (Anthony Beevor's Stalingrad) is used as a prop/joke, it's not hard to feel called out. :D Though I never talked about the Battle of Stalingrad to flirt with a woman.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on August 25, 2020, 08:58:23 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 25, 2020, 08:53:42 AM
Heh, I knew Jordan Peele was producing this, but the second episode of Lovecraft Country is essentially Get Out  :lol:

It is a fun show. Not what I was expecting, but fun.

I thought the second episode was ok. I thought they pussied out [spoiler]with bringing whatshername back from the dead. Now we know that nobody important in this show is ever actually in any danger. [/spoiler]

Well, [spoiler]the uncle did die, although that one follows the "wise mentor dies in the first act" rule. The girl has AC -10 plot armor due to being the love interest[/spoiler]. I was surprised, however, at how [spoiler]"final" the ending was, with the evil white dudes turning to cinder and the mansion collapsing[/spoiler]. Somebody mentioned that the original book is a collection of thinly interconnected stories, so I guess they are following that route, curious where it heads next.

Favorite bit of the episode was the scene of Hot Blondie Chick [spoiler]helping deliver the monster calf :lol:[/spoiler].

The Brain

Started on The White Queen (TV show about ladies of the WOTR). Seems OK. It's not a big budget production, much (real) architecture is more Tudor than Plantagenet etc, but that's OK I think. The main chick is hot and there's boobs.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on August 25, 2020, 03:57:50 AM
I've already watched the Mitchell & Webb Look and Situation shows. :)

How about Would I lie to You?  Lots of great David Mitchell there (and some Robert Webb). 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I've watched some of it, yes. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on August 25, 2020, 09:21:29 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 25, 2020, 04:11:43 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 25, 2020, 01:56:05 AM
Caught up on QI (thanks, YouTube), and have started watching Peep Show with Mitchell and Webb. Is it bad if I recognize too much of myself in David Micthell's character? :unsure:
Me too :blush:
"I'm not a freak. I'm a normal person!"

Must be said when rewatching it's quite sad to realise how old it now is.

When a book you have on your shelf (Anthony Beevor's Stalingrad) is used as a prop/joke, it's not hard to feel called out. :D Though I never talked about the Battle of Stalingrad to flirt with a woman.
Try it.
You know you're onto a winner if it works.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on August 25, 2020, 10:14:48 PM

How about Would I lie to You?  Lots of great David Mitchell there (and some Robert Webb).
I've only ever seen the clips of Bob Mortimer because he's one of my favourite comedians but enjoyed them a lot.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

For David Mitchell greatness its also fun watching some of the older big fat quiz of the year episodes.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Peep Show is awesome.  :lol: I also like the eventual adding of Super Hans.

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on August 25, 2020, 10:14:48 PM

I love when he gets so genuinely upset by irrational behaviour.

There's some good QI bits too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6vLp07ZePY

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 26, 2020, 06:43:35 AM

I've only ever seen the clips of Bob Mortimer because he's one of my favourite comedians but enjoyed them a lot.

His Instagram is a riot.

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on August 26, 2020, 08:03:37 AMI love when he gets so genuinely upset by irrational behaviour.

There's a wonderful supercut of him getting irate on WILTY. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Btw, on the later series of QI I really enjoyed their selection of regular female panelists, most notably Susan Calman, Aisling Bea, Holly Walsh, and Cariad Lloyd. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maladict on August 26, 2020, 08:04:57 AM

His Instagram is a riot.
Yeah his podcast Athletico Mince is also a delight. He's a treasure.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 26, 2020, 08:09:54 AM
Quote from: Maladict on August 26, 2020, 08:04:57 AM

His Instagram is a riot.
Yeah his podcast Athletico Mince is also a delight. He's a treasure.

Absolutely. I always thought Vic was the main comic genius of the two, now I'm not so sure.