News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Been re-watching Seinfeld.  Episodes like The Limo aren't nearly as funny as they were, say, 5 years ago.

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on August 26, 2020, 06:49:16 AM
For David Mitchell greatness its also fun watching some of the older big fat quiz of the year episodes.

Yes.  I've seen all of those that he was in.

Mitchell is the master of the perfectly timed use of the adjective "fucking."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Quote from: frunk on August 26, 2020, 08:27:35 PM
Been re-watching Seinfeld.  Episodes like The Limo aren't nearly as funny as they were, say, 5 years ago.

I rewatched the "The jerk store is out of you" episode the other day. Still hilarious. I guess some stuff has aged better than others.

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on August 27, 2020, 01:57:41 AM
Quote from: frunk on August 26, 2020, 08:27:35 PM

I rewatched the "The jerk store is out of you" episode the other day. Still hilarious. I guess some stuff has aged better than others.

The Limo is when George pretends to be someone else so he and Jerry can get a ride in a limo.  It turns out he's impersonating a neo-nazi.  The jokes are all still funny.  It just isn't as funny given the current situation.

celedhring

Went to the movies for the first time since March to watch Tenet. I'm still undecided whether it's awesome or Nolan should be lynched, and there's probably no in-between here  :lol:

First hour and a half plays like a Bond film, with the mandatory European locales, Bond girl, and Brannagh as a delightful over the top Bond villain. Then the brainbusting part of the movie begins, and Nolan really just doesn't give a fuck about making it easy to understand for the audience. There's lots of "look 'splosions!" so people don't get bored, but I genuinely lost the thread of what was going on more than once (the climatic battle in particular). I really look forward watching this at home with a pause button.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on August 27, 2020, 01:31:49 PM
Went to the movies for the first time since March to watch Tenet. I'm still undecided whether it's awesome or Nolan should be lynched, and there's probably no in-between here  :lol:

First hour and a half plays like a Bond film, with the mandatory European locales, Bond girl, and Brannagh as a delightful over the top Bond villain. Then the brainbusting part of the movie begins, and Nolan really just doesn't give a fuck about making it easy to understand for the audience. There's lots of "look 'splosions!" so people don't get bored, but I genuinely lost the thread of what was going on more than once (the climatic battle in particular). I really look forward watching this at home with a pause button.

Is that the one with the fiendishly convoluted and difficult to follow premise? I read somewhere that even the actors had problems clearly explaining the film during promotion.

Syt

I'm kind of tempted to watch Clockwork Orange tomorrow.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on August 27, 2020, 01:33:33 PM

Is that the one with the fiendishly convoluted and difficult to follow premise? I read somewhere that even the actors had problems clearly explaining the film during promotion.

It is stupidly convoluted, and there's lots of places where imho stuff could have been laid out more clearly (Inception is convoluted but at the same time easy to follow imho). The characters are pretty uninteresting too, and there's not much of a compelling story in there besides sitting down and admiring all the wonderful artifice Nolan has built. But it's one of those movies where you can say without doubt "I have never seen something like this", which is a rare feeling.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on August 27, 2020, 01:44:35 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 27, 2020, 01:33:33 PM

It is stupidly convoluted, and there's lots of places where imho stuff could have been laid out more clearly (Inception is convoluted but at the same time easy to follow imho). The characters are pretty uninteresting too, and there's not much of a compelling story in there besides sitting down and admiring all the wonderful artifice Nolan has built. But it's one of those movies where you can say without doubt "I have never seen something like this", which is a rare feeling.

It involves some kind of weird time travel, right? I've always been of the opinion that time travel is an inmediate jump the shark for almost any story, as it's so difficult to make it workable and not wreck any kind of logic.

Tonitrus

I tend to think it only really works (in that, it doesn't "work", and just isn't taken too seriously) for things like Back to the Future and Quantum Leap.

The Larch

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 27, 2020, 02:59:56 PM
I tend to think it only really works (in that, it doesn't "work", and just isn't taken too seriously) for things like Back to the Future and Quantum Leap.

Yeah, lighthearted or comedic uses are fin, as long as they're not given too much thought into it. Now, when they're taken seriously, that's when it gets messy.

celedhring

The movie is pretty adamant about avoiding paradox scenarios (and they even lampshade it - the characters more than once say "better safe than sorry" and avoid actions/giving information that could potentially create one). There's so much mindfuckery going on that I can't say it's entirely successful, there's a couple of big things that don't make much sense to me, but I might not have understood them well.

Again, Inception is the much better version of this kind of movie, but it's still so unique that it's worth a watch if you enjoyed that one.

FunkMonk

My reptilian brain is very hyped for TENET. I want to sit there in the theater and think to myself "WTF did I just watch?" while explosions are happening on screen and my eardrums blow out.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on August 27, 2020, 03:34:15 PM
The movie is pretty adamant about avoiding paradox scenarios (and they even lampshade it - the characters more than once say "better safe than sorry" and avoid actions/giving information that could potentially create one). There's so much mindfuckery going on that I can't say it's entirely successful, there's a couple of big things that don't make much sense to me, but I might not have understood them well.

Again, Inception is the much better version of this kind of movie, but it's still so unique that it's worth a watch if you enjoyed that one.

If you are interested in time travel paradox mind-fuckery ... have you seen that German series "Dark"?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2020, 04:03:23 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 27, 2020, 03:34:15 PM

If you are interested in time travel paradox mind-fuckery ... have you seen that German series "Dark"?

Indeed I have.