News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

I'll admit that I was rather doubtful about this project when it was first announced, but it really does now look like Villeneuve wasn't trying to make a movie from the book, but rather make THE movie from the book.  If it is even half as good as it looks, it will be outstanding.

We can use somebody who can do science fiction right.  The Star Wars/Star Trek taint is strong and something needs to wash that away.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2020, 01:10:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2020, 12:03:32 PM
Do we really need a third version of Dune?

A third version? No.

This third version? Yes. Yes we do. We all do. You just don't know it yet.

Well said.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on September 09, 2020, 02:24:30 PM
I'll admit that I was rather doubtful about this project when it was first announced, but it really does now look like Villeneuve wasn't trying to make a movie from the book, but rather make THE movie from the book.  If it is even half as good as it looks, it will be outstanding.

We can use somebody who can do science fiction right.  The Star Wars/Star Trek taint is strong and something needs to wash that away.

I thought you said it was based on the book, which is more fantasy than either of those.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 09, 2020, 02:48:02 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 09, 2020, 02:24:30 PM

I thought you said it was based on the book, which is more fantasy than either of those.

I said it was based on the book, which was science fiction.  You can argue that transporters and shields are less fantasy than spice if you are that anal, but you cannot argue that anything in Dune was more of a fantasy than The Force or the whole Star wars atmospheric fighters in outer space thing.  If you think that the David Lynch movie (which was pretty much pure fantasy) represents the book, I can only urge you to actually read the book itself.

Regardless of whether Star Wars is fantasy or not, people think that it is science fiction, and the last six or seven of the last nine Star Wars movies tainted the whole idea of SF movies, and the wretched J. J. Abrams Star Trek movies haven't helped.  A good SF movie will open the door for other good SF movies (in particular, ones that aren't half-baked sequels).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

The Force is simply midichlorians. The powerhouses of the cell.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on September 09, 2020, 03:18:54 PM

That was true five retcons ago.  Is it "true" again?

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on September 09, 2020, 03:22:19 PM

It's true ever since it was established IMHO. The way I see it anything and everything published by the copyright holder or under license is canon. Anything else leads to madness. Canon doesn't have to make sense or not be self-contradictory (just look at the Bible). :)

Edit: changed "created" to "published", for messerschmitts.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Liep on September 09, 2020, 12:07:34 PM

When it's Villeneuve yes.
Agreed - that looks so exciting :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2020, 11:32:48 AM
Hell yeah! I cannot wait for that movie.
OMG!  I really want to see this now! :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

I've seen the first eps of the boys series 2.
I don't understand it's release schedule. 3 eps on day itll be one a week now or....?

Spoilers.
So. Stormfront seemed cool. Iffy name but yeah...subversion maybe given the Portland hipster thing? Oh no look she's an arse hole nazi. So that's where the social media stuff came from.
Glad the Japanese dude died. I don't like the little female side story. And his accent was horrible.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on September 09, 2020, 03:22:19 PM

I always took it as totally Canon that they said that and it's what they believed.

Whether it's actually true in universe or not....
It may be linked with the jedi straying off the path and becoming decadant that they tried to bring the force down to a science in their last days.
Given the way the sequel trilogy went I do suspect they're going down this path.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

She's not necessarily a Nazi, just a sociopath.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 09, 2020, 11:30:26 AM
The trailer for the cinematic event of the century:

https://youtu.be/n9xhJrPXop4

(Denis Villeneuve's Dune)

I am still waiting for Jodorowsky's version.  :P

Tamas

Dune trailer looks awesome, but wasn't there a Jihad coming as opposed to a crusade in the book? :P

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on September 09, 2020, 06:30:25 PM
I always took it as totally Canon that they said that and it's what they believed.

Whether it's actually true in universe or not....
It may be linked with the jedi straying off the path and becoming decadant that they tried to bring the force down to a science in their last days.
Given the way the sequel trilogy went I do suspect they're going down this path.

It was certainly canon in TPM; a simple blood test that allowed authorities to identify Force users and potential Force users, and precisely measure their relative strength.  It was needed in TPM to illustrate how powerful Anakin was, and they didn't want to use the word "magic," so they invented "midi-chlorians" (which is "magic" in Starwarsese).  They even stated that the Force was sentient, and the midi-chlorians spoke to them.  When they needed Sith Force users to be able to hide in the Senate in the next movie, the test was no longer mentioned and the midi-chlorians apparently shut up forever.

Calling it "mid-chlorians" rather than "magic' advances the science fiction element of the story not one whit.

I think that the SW stories stand and fall on their mythic elements, not their SF elements, and that's fine.  My argument is simply that they have led a lot of people to misunderstand what SF can bring to movies, because they think SW-style myth-making is required for a proper SF movie story.  The "this world +1" paradigm is being ignored in favor of "make up whatever rules the script needs at the moment" and SF movies are suffering for it.

Bayraktar!