News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

You can get Birth of a Nation on blu-ray so I think Gone with the Wind is safe :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 19, 2020, 02:12:00 PM
You can get Birth of a Nation on blu-ray so I think Gone with the Wind is safe :P

Birth of a Nation is in the public domain while Gone with the Wind still is under copyright by MGM (in the United States; Canada may be different.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

But historically MGM changes ownership about 3 times a year so at so point someone will monetize that IP again.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Iormlund

How the fuck can an 80 year old movie not be in the public domain?  :bleeding:

Savonarola

Quote from: Iormlund on June 19, 2020, 02:33:37 PM

Because:

Was released in 1928.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

What is this "public domain" of which you speak?  Can you translate it into English?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Thanks to the Disney Corporation we don't have a public domain anymore.

Disney made it big making their own versions of Grimm's Fairy Tales but they are going to make damn sure nobody ever gets to do anything like that with their shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxHS3GGWIsc

The Top 10 Most Immersive Historical Movies of All Time

I think this is my new list of movies I must see. I've only seen 3 on this list!

10: Andrei Rublev (2:00)
9: Das Boot (3:50)
8: The Lighthouse (6:25)
7: Ran (8:45)
6: Master and Commander (11:32)
5: Rome (13:26)
4: Apocalypto (15:32)
3: Quest for Fire (18:14)
2: Come and See (21:08)
1: Barry Lyndon (23:38)

I've never even heard of Barry Lyndon!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on June 19, 2020, 03:54:06 PM

I think this is my new list of movies I must see. I've only seen 3 on this list!

I... I see.

I've seen at least 5 of those. Tried Barry Lyndon at least once but I just fell asleep.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

You have never heard of Barry Lyndon? Wow. I would have never thought.

You need to watch that film it is amazing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on June 19, 2020, 02:41:01 PM

Because:

Was released in 1928.

It's true that, in part because of Disney, copyrights were extended by 20 years in 1998.

But they were not further extended in 2018.  And no further extensions have been proposed.  As such in 2024 Steamboat Willie will hit the public domain, so that early incarnation of Mickey Mouse will be free to use.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/01/a-whole-years-worth-of-works-just-fell-into-the-public-domain/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on June 19, 2020, 03:54:06 PMI've never even heard of Barry Lyndon!

:blink:  :berkut:

Blasphemy! It's a true classic, a really gorgeous film to watch, and truly sometihng that only a mad perfectionist like Kubrick could pull off. It can be a bit too long, and the third act is (IMHO) not as enjoyable as the rest of the film, but it does deserve to be watched by any history fan around.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on June 19, 2020, 03:54:06 PM

Quest for Fire is questionable.  I thought it was pretty good when I first watched in back in the time before time, but recently watched it and it did not age so well.  Most of the time you will be saying to yourself - yeah but what about all the recent archaeology that demonstrates people during that time period were actually pretty sophisticated.   

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on June 19, 2020, 02:08:54 PM
Why would it dissappear?
Mein kampf is still available from book shops afterall.
is it?  I required a written permission from my teacher back in high school to read it, the librarian wouldn't give it to me.

Some network took it down from the air.  Apparently others are refusing to show it and I keep seeing articles about it being an horrible movie perpuating stereotypes that should never be watched by anyone, etc,etc,  popping up in my newsfeed.  Reminds me of the "Tintin in Congo" controversy a few years back, the book became hard to get by for a while.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

HBO have taken it down while they add some contextual material. The sort you get at screenings/viewings of Birth of a Nation. It will then go back up.

I can't stand the book - I remember getting a copy because someone I knew said it was the favourite book and, God, it was bad.
Let's bomb Russia!