And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Sheilbh, don't watch Batman and Robin.

The Larch

I remember being quite offended by Batman Forever back in the day, as I really liked the Burton movies. Now after knowing more about what went behind the scenes I understand better what they were attempting. I still didn't like the movie, but I see it in a different light. Batman & Robin is still irredeemeable.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 22, 2020, 07:26:53 PM

QuoteThat is the worst ones.
Let's at least wait until he's in the ground before we raise the Bat-Crotch and the Bat-Nips <_<

I'd defend Batman Forever. But I think Batman and Robin which is bad is why we have the superhero films we have now. Schumacher took the sort of surreal, overdesigned, cartoony style of 80s/90s comic book films (Burton's Batman, The Phantom, Dick Tracy) taken to their natural extreme. We'll revert to that style one day.

Edit: Also this anecdote by Minnie Driver from her time working with him on Phantom the Opera is - magnificent and kind of catches everything I like about his films:
QuoteMinnie Driver
@driverminnie
#JoelSchumacher was the funniest, chicest, most hilarious director I ever worked with. Once,on set,an actress was complaining about me within earshot; how I was dreadfully over the top (I was)Joel barely looked up from his NYT+said "Oh Honey,no one ever paid to see under the top"
:lol:

Edit: I'm also going to give Batman and Robin a second chance - there may be something there. But I have a real soft-spot for those cartoony superhero films. I like Batman, but I'd take Burton's through to Batman Forever over the recent versions :ph34r:

If you want a proper kitsch and cartoony Batman try Batman '66. I'd rather rewatch it than the later "serious" entries though I still appreciate Burton's Batman.
OTOH, Batman Forever is not as bad as Batman and Robin.
Incidentally, cinemas reopened yesterday and I would give it another chance, if it were re-released.  :P

PS: be ready for Schwarzenegger's overacting and a barrage of bad puns should you try again Batman and Robin.

celedhring

Yeah, nobody did cartoony camp like the 1966 series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nri3o0KFg-8

"They may be drinkers but they are also human beings"  :lol:

Josquius

QuoteLet's at least wait until he's in the ground before we raise the Bat-Crotch and the Bat-Nips <_<

I'd defend Batman Forever. But I think Batman and Robin which is bad is why we have the superhero films we have now. Schumacher took the sort of surreal, overdesigned, cartoony style of 80s/90s comic book films (Burton's Batman, The Phantom, Dick Tracy) taken to their natural extreme. We'll revert to that style one day.

Batman Forever is a film which very literally makes me feel sick for some reason.
All that green....
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on June 22, 2020, 06:10:25 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2020, 04:36:43 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2020, 05:46:31 PM
Who are you calling a Yankee? I could barely hit .200 in little league.
Do you also watch the Nationals or are you exclusively hockey? :)

The Nats? Fuck no. What is wrong with you?

A lot of Redskin/Capitals fans watch them for some reason.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Well, you do have mancrush on Ovechkin, I thought it was about the city :P

(I know nothing of MLB baseball)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 23, 2020, 03:21:02 PM

Well, you do have mancrush on Ovechkin, I thought it was about the city :P

(I know nothing of MLB baseball)

Valmy's fandom is very specific - he cheers for the teams his dad cheered for when he was growing up.  Hence the Caps and the Washington NFL team.

When Valmy was growing up though there were no Nationals.  The nearest MLB city was Baltimore.  Hence Valmy is a Orioles fan.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Ah.  Now I understand.

I picked the Nordiques because my dad cheered for the Canadiens as I was young (he still does, but less of a fan than in the 70s-80s) :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2020, 03:11:08 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 20, 2020, 10:55:20 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2020, 01:56:44 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 19, 2020, 05:56:00 AM
(Region B-locked before Viper asks  :P ).
:glare:
I'll try to ask an european "cousin" to "lend" me his copy ;)

I need to check on a blu-ray player to be sure. It was announced as Region-B only then showed up region-free on other sites.
Faulty announcements happen all the time.
French title : Requiem pour un Massacre.
I'll keep it in mind.  I only see the DVD right now.

bluray.com and others say it's region free. Problem is, first pressing seems to be sold out. More copies will be available by September though.

The Brain

Overlord. American paratroopers on D-Day jump into Weird War 2. Not very good. The chick is hot.

Btw, how many months of training did US paratroopers on D-Day have?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Brain on June 24, 2020, 02:18:35 PM
Overlord. American paratroopers on D-Day jump into Weird War 2. Not very good. The chick is hot.

a bit under 2 years I think, going by a quick search

The Brain

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 24, 2020, 04:13:35 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 24, 2020, 02:18:35 PM

a bit under 2 years I think, going by a quick search

Thanks. A guy in the movie claims 3 months which I knew was too little. It's not a very good movie.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

In BoB the Camp Toccoa scenes were in 1942, IIRC. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.