And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on June 22, 2020, 06:39:37 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 22, 2020, 06:28:34 AM
Second season of The Order on Netflix. One of my standout guilty pleasures of 2019.  :blush:

:x

Pop culture jokes, hot leads, and werewolves. I'm easily pleased.  :P

The Larch

Joel Schumacher has passed away from cancer at 80.

The Brain

RIP.

I'm not gonna lie, I had to google him. Flatliners was great.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

He directed one of the Batman movies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 22, 2020, 02:07:43 PM

Is this a confession?

Eddie Teach

A confession that I've heard of him, sure.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

The Larch

Two of them, actually. Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.

Maladict

Jojo Rabbit. I enjoyed both the slapstick parts and the more serious scenes, but they don't quite work together.

Threviel

Normal people. Fantastic sex scenes, realistic for once. The two leads are great and the story is believable. Best relationship series I remember seeing.

Back in my early twenties I was very good friends with a group of girls and there were all kinds of relationships going on as we were in university. This show really takes me back to that time and not always in a good way, lots of dark shit happened as well.

Cannot recommend enough.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2020, 05:46:31 PM
Who are you calling a Yankee? I could barely hit .200 in little league.
Do you also watch the Nationals or are you exclusively hockey? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark. Teenagers spend Halloween in a haunted house, and become victims of the ghosts of the past. OK as these things go. [spoiler]No sex though.[/spoiler]

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on June 22, 2020, 02:20:35 PM

Two of them, actually. Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.

That is the worst ones.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2020, 04:36:43 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2020, 05:46:31 PM
Who are you calling a Yankee? I could barely hit .200 in little league.
Do you also watch the Nationals or are you exclusively hockey? :)

The Nats? Fuck no. What is wrong with you?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Threviel on June 22, 2020, 02:28:41 PM
Normal people. Fantastic sex scenes, realistic for once. The two leads are great and the story is believable. Best relationship series I remember seeing.

Back in my early twenties I was very good friends with a group of girls and there were all kinds of relationships going on as we were in university. This show really takes me back to that time and not always in a good way, lots of dark shit happened as well.

Cannot recommend enough.
Yeah - superb show. It felt so real and so of that time in my life. It left me half desperate to relive it and half glad I've grown up and never have to go through it again :lol:

QuoteJoel Schumacher has passed away from cancer at 80.
RIP :(

Honestly I think he kind of had an amazing career, for an openly gay man in 80s Hollywood. I also think he was always trying to do something unique and interesting and often really visually stylish. When it worked his films are great: Lost Boys, Falling Down, Flatliners. Not sure how they hold up but I also thnk the thrillers are fantastic: Phone Booth and the Grisham adaptations (the most 90s genre) - A Time to a Kill, The Client. And even when it didn't work it was normally from overreach rather than being boring.

QuoteThat is the worst ones.
Let's at least wait until he's in the ground before we raise the Bat-Crotch and the Bat-Nips <_<

I'd defend Batman Forever. But I think Batman and Robin which is bad is why we have the superhero films we have now. Schumacher took the sort of surreal, overdesigned, cartoony style of 80s/90s comic book films (Burton's Batman, The Phantom, Dick Tracy) taken to their natural extreme. We'll revert to that style one day.

Edit: Also this anecdote by Minnie Driver from her time working with him on Phantom the Opera is - magnificent and kind of catches everything I like about his films:
QuoteMinnie Driver
@driverminnie
#JoelSchumacher was the funniest, chicest, most hilarious director I ever worked with. Once,on set,an actress was complaining about me within earshot; how I was dreadfully over the top (I was)Joel barely looked up from his NYT+said "Oh Honey,no one ever paid to see under the top"
:lol:

Edit: I'm also going to give Batman and Robin a second chance - there may be something there. But I have a real soft-spot for those cartoony superhero films. I like Batman, but I'd take Burton's through to Batman Forever over the recent versions :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!