Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2020, 11:21:30 PM
Now that is a movie you never watch twice  :ph34r:

Yep. Up there with Grave of the Fireflies. :cry:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 16, 2020, 07:26:10 PM
Does Dog Day Afternoon count as a heist movie?

It would fall into my completely arbitrary "serious movie with a heist in it" category. Great film, mind.

I was also considering The Usual Suspects but it probably stretches the "heist" part too much.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on June 17, 2020, 01:00:00 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2020, 11:21:30 PM
Now that is a movie you never watch twice  :ph34r:

Yep. Up there with Grave of the Fireflies. :cry:

Make it a movie marathon with Threads, for good measure.

The Brain

Richard III: Loyalty Binds Me, by Lewis. A modern take on Richard, with the advantage of the discovery of his remains. Author is a self-confessed Ricardian. Isn't obviously unreasonable (but of course I'm not an expert on the sources etc), even if I don't agree with every argument. I think it would have been helpful to discuss a bit more the possible scenarios for what happened to the princes in the Tower, just to clarify what the options are and how likely or unlikely the author thinks they are and why.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on June 17, 2020, 08:22:46 AM
Richard III: Loyalty Binds Me, by Lewis. A modern take on Richard, with the advantage of the discovery of his remains. Author is a self-confessed Ricardian. Isn't obviously unreasonable (but of course I'm not an expert on the sources etc), even if I don't agree with every argument. I think it would have been helpful to discuss a bit more the possible scenarios for what happened to the princes in the Tower, just to clarify what the options are and how likely or unlikely the author thinks they are and why.

I can hardly wait for the movie

Malthus

The whole notion of Ricardians strikes me as weird. Why are people worried about the morality of a Renaissance monarch? I mean, if he killed the princes in the Tower, would that make any actual difference to how one thinks about him? Murdering off rivals to the throne was hardly uncommon at the time, certainly the Tudors did it often enough.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2020, 08:52:39 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 17, 2020, 08:22:46 AM

I can hardly wait for the movie

Good point. I'll put this in the correct thread.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2020, 09:07:05 AM
The whole notion of Ricardians strikes me as weird. Why are people worried about the morality of a Renaissance monarch? I mean, if he killed the princes in the Tower, would that make any actual difference to how one thinks about him? Murdering off rivals to the throne was hardly uncommon at the time, certainly the Tudors did it often enough.

There is a certain evil event horizon that generally rulers were not supposed to cross: you are not supposed to murder your own parents or children and, I guess, your nephews.

Killing off rebels or rival nobles? Good.

Doing this to your own son? Bad.

It does tend to lead to the collapse of your dynasty and political chaos so hence the taboo I suppose. Nero famously hunted down and killed any Julio-Claudians he could get his hands on and they ended rather badly for Rome and the Julio-Claudians (with the end of the dynasty and the Year of the Four Emporers) and he is not exactly considered an ideal model for monarchs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2020, 09:17:40 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2020, 09:07:05 AM

There is a certain evil event horizon that generally rulers were not supposed to cross: you are not supposed to murder your own parents or children and, I guess, your nephews.

Killing off rebels or rival nobles? Good.

Doing this to your own son? Bad.

It does tend to lead to the collapse of your dynasty and political chaos so hence the taboo I suppose. Nero famously hunted down and killed any Julio-Claudians he could get his hands on and they ended rather badly for Rome and the Julio-Claudians (with the end of the dynasty and the Year of the Four Emporers) and he is not exactly considered an ideal model for monarchs.

The Tudors has no troubles executing people they were closely related to if they appeared threatening. For example, Lady Jane Grey, who was 16, and a first cousin, executed because she might be used as a figurehead monarch in the future as she had been in the past.

Of course, they tended to do that openly, rather than secretly ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Well that is just not true. Mary overthrew her as a usurper of course but she had no intention of executing her until a rebellion in her name made it a necessity. Even then she certainly had a problem doing it.

But a usurping first cousin and a sitting monarch, who is also your nephew, are different aren't they? Also Richard was supposed to be their guardian, Jane was a political and religious enemy full stop.

And yeah if they were going to execute them it did have to be done in a way that made it clear they had to, because there was a stigma.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2020, 11:37:17 AM
Well that is just not true. Mary overthrew her as a usurper of course but she had no intention of executing her until a rebellion in her name made it a necessity. Even then she certainly had a problem doing it.

But a usurping first cousin and a sitting monarch, who is also your nephew, are different aren't they? Also Richard was supposed to be their guardian, Jane was a political and religious enemy full stop.

And yeah if they were going to execute them it did have to be done in a way that made it clear they had to, because there was a stigma.

How is that "just not true"? Because Mary thought it was necessary? Everyone who kills a potential rival thinks it is necessary, or they wouldn't do it! 😄

No-one seriously thought Lady Jane was going to personally lead a rebellion. The worry was that others would use her as a figurehead, to replace the existing monarch. The exact same concern that every dynast has when getting rid of someone who may be in line.

Nor is having a "trial" and "execution" in this era much different from simply killing them. The "trials" had predetermined verdicts.

Henry VII was the guy who defeated Richard for being a kid killer, so surely he would never, say, throw an inconvenient 10 year old into a dungeon and then execute him, would he?

Oh right: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Plantagenet,_17th_Earl_of_Warwick

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2020, 11:54:31 AM
How is that "just not true"? Because Mary thought it was necessary? Everyone who kills a potential rival thinks it is necessary, or they wouldn't do it! 😄

A potential rival /= a usurper. I mean Jane had Mary on the run and in fear for her life for a few days. But, again, she didn't want to do it. But, at the end of the day, you cannot just send hundreds of your own people to die to keep one person, an enemy at that, alive.

QuoteHenry VII was the guy who defeated Richard for being a kid killer, so surely he would never, say, throw an inconvenient 10 year old into a dungeon and then execute him, would he?

Again not a parent, child, or other close relative of Henry. Also he was kept in prison but not executed until several years later when he became involved with plots (and possible...international pressure). He was in his 20s at the time so not exactly the killing of a kid.

I clearly pointed out that executing rivals and rebels was common but there was this thing where you were not supposed to execute your parents or children or other very close family members was some kind of evil event horizon. Bringing up rebels and rivals as people who were executed doesn't disprove anything I said but rather demonstrate it.

Valmy

I mean one would think that uncles killing their nieces and nephews or brothers taking out their older brothers would be a very common occurance in this era but for whatever reason it wasn't. I mean it isn't like it never happened but it was frowned upon in a way that arbitrarily executing the Duke of Buckingham wasn't.

Eddie Teach

That's not true, Malthus. Some execute for the sheer joy of it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2020, 12:11:31 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2020, 11:54:31 AM

A potential rival /= a usurper. I mean Jane had Mary on the run and in fear for her life for a few days. But, again, she didn't want to do it. But, at the end of the day, you cannot just send hundreds of your own people to die to keep one person, an enemy at that, alive.

QuoteHenry VII was the guy who defeated Richard for being a kid killer, so surely he would never, say, throw an inconvenient 10 year old into a dungeon and then execute him, would he?

Again not a parent, child, or other close relative of Henry. Also he was kept in prison but not executed until several years later when he became involved with plots (and possible...international pressure). He was in his 20s at the time so not exactly the killing of a kid.

I clearly pointed out that executing rivals and rebels was common but there was this thing where you were not supposed to execute your parents or children or other very close family members was some kind of evil event horizon. Bringing up rebels and rivals as people who were executed doesn't disprove anything I said but rather demonstrate it.

The kids in the Tower were close relations ... but so was Lady Jane. True they were very young ... but so was Edward Plantagenet when he disappeared into the Tower.

Jane wasn't killed for usurpation. She survived that. Jane was killed because another rebellion made it appear others were going to use her as a figurehead - so she was too dangerous to allow to live.

Obviously, these monarchs were reluctant to murder kids or close relatives, or close relatives who were kids ... but they would do it if they believed it was necessary to keep the throne, the Tudors no less than Richard III. Lady Jane was young (16), female, and a close relation ... but none of that saved her.