News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 01, 2020, 10:02:42 AM
I think entertainment but I would also add if they are making a greater point/some way of evoking/creating the feeling of the past. So basically style - music, script, set design, way of shooting. If those stylistic choices evoke a sense of living in that moment I think it's fine.

I think both of these are better than the typical sort of prestige period drama approach of a typical Hollywood version.

:yes: The Great definitely falls into that category.

It wants you to know what it feels like to be in the court of Peter III and to be one of his courtiers or one of the many servants. The details aren't that important compared to the authentic feel and random tyranny.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Are people hating on Peter III?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on June 01, 2020, 10:29:02 AM
:yes: The Great definitely falls into that category.

It wants you to know what it feels like to be in the court of Peter III and to be one of his courtiers or one of the many servants. The details aren't that important compared to the authentic feel and random tyranny.
Yeah - other thing that springs to mind on this is Death of Stalin. My understanding is all the events there happened and roughly in that order, but it was wildly condensed and includes lots of anachronisms and some re-jigging. But it's really good at evoking a feel of the environement in the Kremlin at that point.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on June 01, 2020, 10:45:02 AM

The Great buys in totally time Catherine's point of view about her husband.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

The TV series Spartacus doesn't strive for historical accuracy (but it's NOTHING like that crap Vikings when it comes to this stuff), but it certainly gives a feeling of living in Roman society with slavery and patronage etc. Whether it's anything near authentic I am not in a position to say.

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on June 01, 2020, 10:52:23 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 01, 2020, 10:45:02 AM

The Great buys in totally time Catherine's point of view about her husband.

I am angry and confused. :angry:

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Brain on June 01, 2020, 10:55:41 AM
The TV series Spartacus doesn't strive for historical accuracy (but it's NOTHING like that crap Vikings when it comes to this stuff), but it certainly gives a feeling of living in Roman society with slavery and patronage etc. Whether it's anything near authentic I am not in a position to say.
Thinking about it I thought that with Rome (series 1) too. It was so good at, you know, making Rome strange.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Which reminds me: I doubt slaves talked in that pompous style.

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 01, 2020, 10:57:33 AM
Thinking about it I thought that with Rome (series 1) too. It was so good at, you know, making Rome strange.

Yes, Rome did an excellent job of showing an alien culture while having enough common threads to humanity to make it meaningful.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

A Knights Tale is one of the best historical movies ever and I will fight anyone who says different.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

100% agree. Hadn't thought of that one. Bettany's Chaucer is a delight.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

The portrayal of jousting is also close to the descriptions in medieval literature.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Tyr on June 01, 2020, 02:47:32 PM
A Knights Tale is one of the best historical movies ever and I will fight anyone who says different.
I was hoping someone would mention that! I just finished The Great and thoroughly enjoyed it. I believe it involved the creators/producers/some individuals from both The Death of Stalin and The Favourite, so if you enjoyed those, odds are very good you'll enjoy this. Fantastic music throughout, too.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Finally caught up on the second season of Titans, the first was a guilty pleasure of mine. It's one of those shows that manages to be great and terrible at the same time.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on June 02, 2020, 02:23:52 AM
Finally caught up on the second season of Titans, the first was a guilty pleasure of mine. It's one of those shows that manages to be great and terrible at the same time.

I enjoyed the first a lot. But just completely fail to get into the second.
Their idea to end on a cliff hanger failed.
██████
██████
██████