And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 26, 2020, 08:39:35 AM
How would you define "enough"?
It should be a big chunk. Without the Labour votes in the war cabinet, Halifax would've won. Greenwood was the strongest and most vocal supporter of Churchill's position. Attlee, as when he was PM, was relatively silent but when he spoke made pretty telling/decisive interventions. Churchill doesn't survive, and Britain sues for peace if it wasn't for the Labour Party and the Labour Ministers. That relationship should be as key as anything to do with the internal squabbling of the chinless elites.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

I think it's going to be mild rage then.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

FunkMonk

Yeah, this is a movie about Gary Oldman winning an Oscar. Don't expect much else.

He is great in it though.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Berkut

Serendipity.

Me and the girl friend are watching Ken Burns Civil War documentary, and we went to watch episode 2. She had gotten the blue rays from the library (advantages to dating a librarian!) so I loaded it up into my Xbox to watch. For some damn reason, the sounds would not work. That's odd.

So I switch the TV over to Netflix, to see if the problem is with the XBox, and Netflix comes up and I hit play on the next thing to be played, and we have been making our way through Community.

It starts fine, with sound, so we are just like "Whatever, lets just watch Community instead!".

Take a wild guess which episode was on....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBrltBrB14c

Just fucking brilliant.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 26, 2020, 12:48:26 PM
Yeah, this is a movie about Gary Oldman winning an Oscar. Don't expect much else.

That's the way I looked at it.  It wasn't really a historical film, it was a Gary Oldman star vehicle.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Quote from: grumbler on May 26, 2020, 09:48:23 PM

That's the way I looked at it.  It wasn't really a historical film, it was a Gary Oldman star vehicle.

Yup. It's one of those movies where you just make some popcorn, turn your brain off, and watch a guy act his ass off. Perfectly decent flick.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Is there a little Clem biopic?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on May 26, 2020, 11:06:32 PM
Is there a little Clem biopic?
No. I mean he doesn't even get more than a cameo in historical dramas of that period - it tends to be all Churchill.

Which I get, because Churchill's a more charismatic, ebullient figure. Whereas Clem was not. You know, in the 1945 election he was asked by a reporter if he had any comment about Labour's election campaign and replied "no" :lol:

But if we're doing films about decisions the war cabinet debates and Halifax or even just about the war cabinet in general, then Clem and Greenwood (for a few years) and Bevin should pretty big characters.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Watched Uncut Gems.  Sandler's performance is good (been a while since I said that).  The ending felt a little abrupt.

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on May 26, 2020, 09:24:36 PM
Serendipity.

Me and the girl friend are watching Ken Burns Civil War documentary, and we went to watch episode 2. She had gotten the blue rays from the library (advantages to dating a librarian!) so I loaded it up into my Xbox to watch. For some damn reason, the sounds would not work. That's odd.

So I switch the TV over to Netflix, to see if the problem is with the XBox, and Netflix comes up and I hit play on the next thing to be played, and we have been making our way through Community.

It starts fine, with sound, so we are just like "Whatever, lets just watch Community instead!".

Take a wild guess which episode was on....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBrltBrB14c

Just fucking brilliant.

:lmfao:

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 26, 2020, 10:51:00 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 26, 2020, 09:48:23 PM

Yup. It's one of those movies where you just make some popcorn, turn your brain off, and watch a guy act his ass off. Perfectly decent flick.

What I thought when I saw Joker
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Any German watched this?

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/diehamburgerkrankheit
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079264/

Die Hamburger Krankheit /The Hamburg Syndrom/La maladie de Hambourg (Franco--German production with a Jean-Michel Jarre soundtrack).

Some interesting parallels with the current health crisis, though it is obviously not realistic, nor supposed to be. Surrealist parable?

Director is Peter Fleischmann, from the new German cinema of the 60's-80's, of Hunting Scenes from Bavaria fame. So it might be preachy, for all I know, but should be interesting.

PS: before you ask, Mongers, not watched yet.  :P

Malthus

I have Gary Oldman typecast as the corrupt cop from *Leon* (aka *The Professional*). I kept expecting him to burst out with something like "Admiral, bring me everyone out of Dunkirk" "What do you mean everyone?" "EVERYONE!!"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=na05sqxgasg
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2020, 09:38:08 AM
Attlee, as when he was PM, was relatively silent but when he spoke made pretty telling/decisive interventions.

In the movie he gives a romping, ranting speech in the Commons ripping into Chamberlain.  Kind of funny to watch.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 27, 2020, 03:06:09 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2020, 09:38:08 AM
Attlee, as when he was PM, was relatively silent but when he spoke made pretty telling/decisive interventions.

In the movie he gives a romping, ranting speech in the Commons ripping into Chamberlain.  Kind of funny to watch.
:lol: Amazing.
Let's bomb Russia!