TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on May 21, 2020, 03:05:47 AM
New What We Do In The Shadows...

[spoiler]Simon the Devious! The Cursed hat![/spoiler]  :w00t:

Also, I learned that the actress playing Nadja is in the Netflix Eurovision movie.

And Colin Robinson being an online troll!  :lol: [spoiler]And then the real troll...[/spoiler]

The Larch

What we do in the Shadows has been renewed for a 3rd season!  :w00t:

FunkMonk

Jojo Rabbit. What a great little movie.  :)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

One of the common themes in the backlash to the new Star Trek shows was that it had an overarching storyline as opposed to the episodic format that's been a staple of the franchise (even though late TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT all had longer story arcs to some degree or other).

Now, I don't agree with this particular thrust of critique - I believe you can tell compelling stories in 45 minutes or 450 minutes if done well.

That said, it seems that episodic TV has fallen out of favor in this age of streaming and binge watching.

Without streaming, and generally having to catch a show when it airs means it's easy to miss an episode and being "out of the loop". Hod knows I missed quite some Babylon 5 when it first aired in Germany during my college years and military service. Similar with X-Files after season 3 or 4 (because we were teh poor, we didn't have a VCR at first and later my dad was very unpermissive in what I could record or watch).

So in those days, any episode of a show might be a person's first exposure to it, and therefore standalone was a valuable format. Also, you didn't have to worry too much about missing an episode, because there was little or no continuity to keep track of.

These days the long form is the default. You can tell extensive stories over 6, 10, 20 episodes, because people will be able to watch them all on demand whenever and wherever they like.

Which makes me wonder: are there still major episodic TV shows? I'm excluding comedy and cartoon from this as they generally do their own thing. I'm sure there are (probably tons of doctor or cop shows), but I honestly haven't watched "normal" TV in many years, so I'm VERY out of the loop. :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

What I always hated with old treks approach was you never knew if the next episode was episodic or part of the continuing story line.

The main standout episodic show to me is Dr Who.
And yeah, as you say many detective shows.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

I can't think of a OS Trek show that wasn't self contained.  Maybe by old treks you mean DS9?

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 23, 2020, 03:11:25 AM
I can't think of a OS Trek show that wasn't self contained.  Maybe by old treks you mean DS9?

To quote myself: "even though late TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT all had longer story arcs to some degree or other"

There's a reason I excluded TOS. ;)

Though for TNG, besides a few two-parters, it was mostly a case of continuity, rather than overarching plot.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Voyager and DS9 were the main two I meant.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on May 23, 2020, 03:20:41 AM
To quote myself: "even though late TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT all had longer story arcs to some degree or other"

There's a reason I excluded TOS. ;)

Though for TNG, besides a few two-parters, it was mostly a case of continuity, rather than overarching plot.

Sorry wasn't clear; was responding to Squeeze.  Didn't realize he was riffing off you.

Eddie Teach

Tales From the Loop is another. Black Mirror, Twilight Zone.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 23, 2020, 03:29:53 AM
Tales From the Loop is another. Black Mirror, Twilight Zone.

Heh, those are the ones I mentioned in the post I was writing... But Black Mirror/Twilight Zone aren't really standard episodic TV, they're antology shows (you have an entire new set of characters and setting each episode).

There's of course load of procedurals still out there, but I don't think there's anything too noteworthy atm.

I would dig an old school Star Trek "anomaly of the week" show.

Eddie Teach

Watched Hollywood on Netflix. A fantasy loosely based on 1940s Hollywood. It was very gay(they got that part right).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Watching an '80s action movie on TV.

Licence to Kill, with a young Benicio del Toro in a supporting role.

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 24, 2020, 02:35:10 PM
Watched Hollywood on Netflix. A fantasy loosely based on 1940s Hollywood. It was very gay(they got that part right).

I'm not sure it is very gay but it is pretty dreadful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.