News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on May 31, 2020, 09:17:39 PM
Oh, yes. Have to throw history out the window on that one.

There are two major anachronisms that made me laugh, at least:

1: They show Francisco Goya's painting, Saturn Devouring his Son some ~60 years in advance of the art even being made.
2: The children's choir in episode 7 singing White Army, Black Baron (in Russian). A Red Army song from the Russian Civil War.  :D

I'll pass.

Sheilbh

Really wish it was out here. It's by the writer of The Favourite, right?

So, yeah, I'd expect a more impressionist approach to the past.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 01, 2020, 06:07:32 AM
Really wish it was out here. It's by the writer of The Favourite, right?

So, yeah, I'd expect a more impressionist approach to the past.

Yup.

The creators tell you upfront that it is an "occasionally true story", or some words to that effect. 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on June 01, 2020, 05:56:28 AM

1: They show Francisco Goya's painting, Saturn Devouring his Son some ~60 years in advance of the art even being made.
2: The children's choir in episode 7 singing White Army, Black Baron (in Russian). A Red Army song from the Russian Civil War.  :D

I'll pass.

Cool. Go enjoy something dumb then.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malthus

I've only seen the first couple of episodes, so I haven't yet seen the chorus doing a Russian Red army song yet - when I do, I'll be sure to point it out to my family, and claim I recognized it, in this way appearing a history genius. 😄

Seriously though, I'll credit Languish. 😉
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on June 01, 2020, 08:24:48 AM
I've only seen the first couple of episodes, so I haven't yet seen the chorus doing a Russian Red army song yet - when I do, I'll be sure to point it out to my family, and claim I recognized it, in this way appearing a history genius. 😄

Your family may look impressed. But when you're not looking they're rolling their eyes back. :unsure:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on June 01, 2020, 08:27:44 AM

Your family may look impressed. But when you're not looking they're rolling their eyes back. :unsure:

Probably true of all my many completely meaningless accomplishments. 😄

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on June 01, 2020, 07:41:43 AM

I'll pass.

I am not going to restart the Churchill in Verdun debate, I just personally see no point in watching something using a seemingly historical context while being non-historical. What's the point?

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on June 01, 2020, 09:15:18 AM

I'll pass.

I am not going to restart the Churchill in Verdun debate, I just personally see no point in watching something using a seemingly historical context while being non-historical. What's the point?

Entertainment.

Tamas

Quote from: Malthus on June 01, 2020, 09:16:36 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 01, 2020, 09:15:18 AM

I'll pass.

Entertainment.

Oh, entertainment? Shut up!

Malthus

Put it this way: the makers of The Great would have no problems filming Churchill at Verdun - only, Churchill would be accompanied into combat by his cigar-smoking pet bear. 😄

Habbaku

Yes. The creators of The Great aren't making a true history, nor even any pretense of it. There's a scene where the Tsar lambasts Catherine as not even being Russian, while himself not being Russian!

The point is to have an intriguing story with really fancy dresses and a veneer of historical-fiction/fantasy setting. It works because the writers aren't trying to lie to you.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Malthus is a Wrangel supporter.  :mad:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

I think entertainment but I would also add if they are making a greater point/some way of evoking/creating the feeling of the past. So basically style - music, script, set design, way of shooting. If those stylistic choices evoke a sense of living in that moment I think it's fine.

I think The Favourite is a really good example. But the best is probably Deadwood - where the characters' "voice" is incredible. It has half got the structure and rhythm of those long Victorian sentences, but because we would not be suitable shocked by "poppycock" etc the explosive, modern swearing. It's incredibly anachronistic, but it works.

Another is Barry Lyndon which goes to the other extreme but again is incredibly successful at "evoking" the past by a lot of obsessive study, details of the past.

I think both of these are better than the typical sort of prestige period drama approach of a typical Hollywood version.

I also do not give a single fuck about accuracy in a comedy - e.g. Shakespeare in Love which is one of the wittiest, cleverest romcoms around. It's a masterpiece however creative some of its decisions are.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas