News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

I started watching "The Crossing" which premiered two weeks ago. So far I quite like it. Good sci-fi like drama with espionage and intrigue.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Liep

Saw Batman & Robin and Under Siege 2 at work today. Sometimes being on call is terrible work.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Atomic Blonde.  Charlize Theron shows her tits and beats up a bunch of bad guys in pre unification East Berlin. Adapted from a graphic novel.

These modern spy movies are all kind of the same, aren't they?  I propose the only one that's worked since Daniel Craig killed the Bond franchise is Bourne.

celedhring

Started watching The Night Manager. Tom Hiddleston goes from hotelier to undercover agent seeking revenge from an arms dealer played by Hugh Laurie. Besides the fact that the baddies trust Hiddleston's character way too easily/quickly, it's a cool watch.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 15, 2018, 02:58:47 AM
These modern spy movies are all kind of the same, aren't they?  I propose the only one that's worked since Daniel Craig killed the Bond franchise is Bourne.

Based on books from the 80s.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on April 15, 2018, 03:10:49 AM
Started watching The Night Manager. Tom Hiddleston goes from hotelier to undercover agent seeking revenge from an arms dealer played by Hugh Laurie. Besides the fact that the baddies trust Hiddleston's character way too easily/quickly, it's a cool watch.

I liked it.  They spent a lot of screen time developing the cover story to make it more likely that he would be accepted initially.  But I agree that they didn't spend the same amount of time developing the story of why he was then allowed into the inner circle. 

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2018, 09:39:35 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 15, 2018, 03:10:49 AM

I liked it.  They spent a lot of screen time developing the cover story to make it more likely that he would be accepted initially.  But I agree that they didn't spend the same amount of time developing the story of why he was then allowed into the inner circle.

Yeah, I totally bought Laurie's character being grateful [spoiler]after Hiddleston's saves his son, but then he opens the doors into his criminal enterprise and that was a bridge too far for me, also how they easily alienate his former right-hand man. Everything's too convenient[/spoiler]. But the show is magnificently shot and acted (the cast is amazing, beyond Laurie/Hiddleston), locations are lush, and the story's nonetheless a good thrill.

Malthus

I was watching an English TV show about a couple of private detectives called Shakespeare & Hathaway: Private Investigators.

The show is nice, an enjoyable mystery series ... but what really caught my eye is that the actress who plays the female lead is a dead ringer for my brother's wife.

I mean, they could be twins, or at least, the actress could be her younger sister. She sounds like her too. It's uncanny.  :lol:   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on April 16, 2018, 09:52:01 AM
But the show is magnificently shot and acted (the cast is amazing, beyond Laurie/Hiddleston), locations are lush, and the story's nonetheless a good thrill.

I agree.  Many of those settings were stunningly beautiful and the acting easily made up for some of the weaknesses in the writing.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Gups

Quote from: 11B4V on April 16, 2018, 11:22:55 AM
Lost in Space 2018: B+

Gave it 40 minutes. Ditched it. One crisis after another.

11B4V

Quote from: Gups on April 16, 2018, 11:52:02 AM

Gave it 40 minutes. Ditched it. One crisis after another.

Great, good for you.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

I have been looking forward to this.