News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2018, 01:46:44 PM
I just watched the first 15 minutes or so of Deadpool. Does it consistently stay with this aren't we so cool and clever vibe or does it even out? Trailers always made me think it doesn't which is why I've always avoided it.

No.

The comic manages to balance the silly humor with a tragic undercurrent for the character and parody of the genre that's not really there in the movie. It's fun, but if you don't dig the humor, it has nothing to offer you.

garbon

Alright, thanks. I'll skip it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on March 22, 2018, 01:56:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2018, 01:46:44 PM
I just watched the first 15 minutes or so of Deadpool. Does it consistently stay with this aren't we so cool and clever vibe or does it even out? Trailers always made me think it doesn't which is why I've always avoided it.

No.

The comic manages to balance the silly humor with a tragic undercurrent for the character and parody of the genre that's not really there in the movie. It's fun, but if you don't dig the humor, it has nothing to offer you.
I watched this a while ago and kind of thought it was ok, but when trying to watch it a second time it just really fell flat for me. Probably as you say, the humor seemed lame to me. I've been trying to figure how/why I was able to watch it the first time through.

Barrister

I dunno - I quite enjoyed Deadpool, and I went in thinking I wouldn't like it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

The chick is mega-hott.  I didn't mind the wise-cracking per se, but after a while Ryan Reynold's whiny delivery got a little too much.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 22, 2018, 03:40:27 PM
I dunno - I quite enjoyed Deadpool, and I went in thinking I wouldn't like it.

Same with me.  I thought it was hilarious good fun and I went in thinking I would hate it but decided to see it with my sons anyway.

Eddie Teach

Jumanji. Silly but fun.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Sunset Boulevard (1950)

Show business kids making movies of themselves; you know they don't give a fuck about anybody else...

;)

Still probably the best movie by Hollywood about Hollywood (and the one that features the most moving monkey funeral in the history of film).  I saw this on the big screen at the revival house; the glorious black and white cinematography really shines through on the big screen.  I got a lot more of the references to the silent stars this time, then when I first saw it 20 years ago (unfortunately 50 doesn't seem so impossibly old any more  :(.)

Gloria Swanson does a phenomenal job; and she does deserve to be remembered for this role.  Still she really was a big star in the silent era and was the top draw at Paramount for a number of years; her line "Without me there wouldn't be a Paramount" isn't that far from the truth.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

Still sad to see Buster Keaton in this one though.

Savonarola

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 23, 2018, 02:36:00 PM
Still sad to see Buster Keaton in this one though.

Yeah, unfortunately MGM didn't know what to do with him.  Fortunately his films would be rediscovered in the 1950s.

One of the other "Waxworks," HB Warner, is probably better remembered for his character parts in Frank Capra films (he's the druggist in "It's a Wonderful Life") than his silent career.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

KRonn

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 23, 2018, 12:34:39 AM
Jumanji. Silly but fun.

I just saw the second Jumanji and liked it, and I like both of them. Fun movies.

KRonn

I saw the pilot episode of Krypton on SyFy channel. I really liked it. Seems to have a good amount bit of grit and intrigue to it, spicing it up.

SyFy TV show The Expanse starts up in April. Another good space SyFy show which centers around the politics and people of our solar system, with colonies on Mars and the asteroid belts mainly for mining. Mars and Earth tend to have a strained relationship.

Liep

Netflix has a Danish series out in a month: The Rain. It's some kinda of youth post-apocalypse thing.

https://youtu.be/wcp_0aIaQKY

This looks like it was filmed in Hareskoven which is also wear the Copenhagen role players hang out. I knew the guy in the middle from way back (15 years qualify for "way back", right?), it appears he's done well for himself since then.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Any good prepper knows to stock up on pre-ripped jeans.

Savonarola

As part of Netflix's 20th anniversary they sent out a "Trip down memory lane" e-mail with the first movie I ever rented from them.  Mine was "Triumph of the Will."

I've... :unsure: uh... :unsure: matured a lot since then; anyway did anyone else get an e-mail like that?