News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I think season 2 had a lot of great subplots but lacked a compelling main plot. Tennant's Killgrave was a moustache twirler, yeah, but he was masterly used to develop Jessica's character and traumas. One of the best uses of a villain I have seen in a superhero film/show.

garbon

Quote from: frunk on March 21, 2018, 01:46:08 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 20, 2018, 07:29:39 AM
S2 of Jessica Jones... Yeah. It's.... Very lacking in direction. I'm near the end now and I'm dissapointed. Its not awful by any means but compared to the best thing ever quality of s1....

I much prefer S2.  Killgrave was entertaining and I love Tennant, but the character was thoroughly one dimensional.  I think he would have been better as the big bad for half a season or less.

The A plot was a lot more compelling as Jessica faced genuinely tough choices.  The B Trish plot flagged a bit, but provided a nice counterpoint.  The C plot w. Carrie-Ann Moss was nicely brutal and hit me the hardest in a season where [spoiler]Jessica contemplated killing her mother and had to deal with Trish actually doing it[/spoiler].

I would agree on preferring S2. Killgrave while well acted did become a bit grating a monotonous.

That said I actually took issue with some of the plots - Trish's was all over the place. [spoiler]Didn't really seem to naturally flow that she was only with the guy she said she loved because she wanted to be him.[/spoiler] Similarly I thought while it was an interesting setup for Hogarth, I wasn't convinced by how [spoiler]such a hardcore, bad-ass character suddenly found herself willing to be hoodwinked so easily / decided to take up with that homeless woman. And in fact, at least one other character remarked on her transformation - which while I get that such a diagnosis would change a person, I don't know that it would cause you to drop your fundamental character traits. And in truth when she was crying during the 'healing procedure', I thought she was crying because she realised that she was being submitted to quackery and was going to die.[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I dug Trish arc. She was actually shown to be really insecure and prone to addiction, both recipes to instability that were progressed in S2. The way their expanded their relationship in the flashback episode was pretty great. One of my favorite moments of the series is when we learn why Jessica named her PI agency "Alias" [spoiler]in memory of an old boyfriend that she truly loved - but she doesn't know that this boyfriend was actually using her[/spoiler].

Hoghart's arc was a neat idea but probably rushed yeah.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on March 21, 2018, 02:13:44 PM
I dug Trish arc. She was actually shown to be really insecure and prone to addiction, both recipes to instability that were progressed in S2. The way their expanded their relationship in the flashback episode was pretty great. One of my favorite moments of the series is when we learn why Jessica named her PI agency "Alias" [spoiler]in memory of an old boyfriend that she truly loved - but she doesn't know that this boyfriend was actually using her[/spoiler].

Hoghart's arc was a neat idea but probably rushed yeah.

See with Trish, I was like okay, so sidekick is useless one. Cool story. :D

Agreed that I did like that flashback showing why it was called Alias. Was a fun flashback.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I liked Kilgrave. There was a great tension building lead up to his reveal. He seemed so utterly horrific until he finally showed up then...oh....he's not so bad afterall... And then oh, no, he is a psycho.
There's just no tension towards the S2 'villain'(?) showing up. Jessica just sort of stumbles into it via circumstance and...yeah.
██████
██████
██████

frunk

I agree the Trish plot was the weakest.  I also had issues with the [spoiler]addiction plotline, which seemed to veer from in motivation and direction a bit too frequently[/spoiler].  I didn't have a problem with Hogarth as [spoiler]she was already shown losing control earlier in the season, so it didn't seem like much of a step to me to get duped.  Considering the prevalence of powers in this universe it's less unbelievable than in the real world[/spoiler].

garbon

Quote from: frunk on March 21, 2018, 02:27:58 PM
I didn't have a problem with Hogarth as [spoiler]she was already shown losing control earlier in the season, so it didn't seem like much of a step to me to get duped.  Considering the prevalence of powers in this universe it's less unbelievable than in the real world[/spoiler].

For me it wasn't so much [spoiler]her thinking that it would be possible (as makes sense in that universe) but that she set up no safeguards as such for herself. Just let the homeless chick move in and then let the dude homeless chick knew and homeless chick wander around her house freely - even after she knew that homeless had planned to steal her shit at one point.[/spoiler]

frunk

Quote from: garbon on March 21, 2018, 02:47:00 PM
For me it wasn't so much [spoiler]her thinking that it would be possible (as makes sense in that universe) but that she set up no safeguards as such for herself. Just let the homeless chick move in and then let the dude homeless chick knew and homeless chick wander around her house freely - even after she knew that homeless had planned to steal her shit at one point.[/spoiler]

Fair enough.

garbon

Quote from: garbon on March 21, 2018, 01:20:14 PM
So is it a sign of how hard Annihilation crashed and burned that it is available on Netflix?

edit: Or looking that that's how it was solely distributed outside the US, I guess their estimation on how well it would do?

Okay, I kinda liked it. :blush:

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

Karate kid sequel going no to be on YouTube red
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

So long time since Hillary excellent typos!  Much funnly!

Habbaku

I thought his sentence was half Japanese.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

I just watched the first 15 minutes or so of Deadpool. Does it consistently stay with this aren't we so cool and clever vibe or does it even out? Trailers always made me think it doesn't which is why I've always avoided it.